[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fear of Needles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 730x485) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 730x485
How do I overcome this fear? I want to have some bloodwork done but hypodermic needles freak me the FUCK out and apparently it's irational and impractical to request anesthetic gas to knock me out for the needle work or talk a bunch of sleeping meds before hand so I'm passed out when the doc come to draw.

Any anons overcome this fear? What did you do?

And don't tell me to just man the fuck up, that doesn't help.
>>
man up bitch boy
>>
Bring a friend
>>
You basically have to man the fuck up anon. The only reason it "doesn't help" is because you're simply failing to man up. The only way to overcome a fear is to face it head on
>>
You have a phobia and should consider seeing a therapist for it.
>>
Just don't look dude? no one exactly likes it man. I never look personally, as soon as I am in that chair with my sleeve up I am looking in the other direction till it's done.
>>
>>17186823
>>17186823
This. It barely hurts at all if you don't look and think about something else. It's like a little pinch
>>
>>17186795

>What did you do?

You get over a fear of needles by getting stuck by needles.

You can't overcome fear by avoiding your fear. If its really so crippling then you should see a therapist. Other than that, the only other option is to just put yourself through it and see for yourself its not that bad.
>>
You know that part of your mind that thinks that this fear is acceptable. Somewhere along the line you got this idea that it was okay to have this fear that it was acceptable to behave in this way. You need to kill this part of yourself, you need to destroy this part of yourself. Do it
>>
I pass out every time I get stuck with a needle. I understand.

I tell them to get the smelling salts, they stick me and out I go. I have to have a friend or parent take me cause I freak out beforehand and can't drive back afterwards.

Have a scar on my chin that's p. bad, they wanted to do stitches and I said hell no. They gave me a glue that didn't heal as well.

Can't help you OP, but you're not alone.
>>
It essentially comes down to manning up.

Needles really don't hurt, we just don't like the concept of having sharp objects thrust into our bodies which is understandable. What you need to do is teach your mind that the needle is not a threat. You need to focus on breathing, relax your muscles, and be patient.

I used to be deathly afraid of needles to the point where I didn't even receive vaccinations for the longest time. It wasn't until I was about 15 or so that I finally buckled down and got my shots.

It essentially boiled down to me at that point being pissed at my fear of needles. I knew it was such a stupid fear, and it caused so many inconveniences, so I just wanted to get it over with.

I knew in my mind that they wouldn't hurt me, but the fear of sharp objects being stuck into me caused my body to panic, so I just had to override my body.

Now, I've got no problems getting shots. I've even let my mother practice drawing blood from me for her first time for a course she was taking without the slightest issue. I can watch them go in, the blood come out, no issues.

It comes down to getting curious about your fear. Where is this fear originating from? Why is it relevant? Is it a realistic fear?
>>
>>17186901
Perhaps most importantly, is this fear preventing me from doing anything?

I think that's what drives me the most towards overcoming my fears. Not just of needles, but of heights, spiders, ect.

In some situations, it's more dangerous to be scared than it is clear of mind. It's better to assess the situation, be knowledgeable, and handle the situation in a way that minimizes the chance of harm.
>>
>>17186840
>>17186901
When it comes to the cause of my fear, I think its an extension of the natural fear we have of getting injured and actions that may cause pain or injury.

As far as my paranoid mind is concerned, a shot in the arm is the same as seppuku.
>>
If the person doing it is really good, you won't even feel it. Literally zero pain. Otherwise, worse case scenario there's a tiny pinch. It hurts more to flick your skin with your finger. Logically, you probably know this. Your fear is the anticipation of what's to come and overthinking it. You're building it up so much in your head that it's owning you.

You knowingly do so many unpleasant things in your life that you don't want to do but force yourself to do because its necessary. Swallow pills, pop pimples, pluck hairs, etc. All of these things are more physically unpleasant than a needle but you do them without thinking because there's no build up or anticipation of what's to come. They're such mundane acts.

Just don't look when they jab you. Tell them to talk to you while they jab you. Have the nurse (or whoever) talk to you about her day and just surprise you in the middle of her story with it rather than give you a "3, 2, 1, NOW!" kind of thing.
>>
>>17186795
remember that it's necessary and for the future good of your health. My mom went years without getting blood work or any kind of testing done for this very reason and now she has stage 4 cancer.

Go get the blood work done. Cry if you have to, nobody is going to judge you or care, but there comes a point where you have to do things even if you're scared shitless for your own sake.

It's not 'manning up' that you need to do, but instead coming to the realization that sometimes painful things have to be done.
>>
>>17186931
We as humans are capable of a great many things. We do things that should defy the logic of our systems, it is because of things like this that we can commit sudoku.

We just have to reach deeper into our minds, and trick our bodies.
>>
>>17187043
Would hypnosis help?
>>
>>17186795
>>Get hit by a truck as you walk past a street
>>End up having broken bones and surgery on cranium
>>have needles hooked on both arms
>>???
>>fear for needles gone.
>>
>>17186795
Also interested in hearing some advice on this. As a med student it's incredibly inconvenient. I've tried psychotherapy, CBT, EMDR, hypnosis, etc and still can't fucking get rid of it.

Generally, if your response is parasympathetic (aka vasovagal) you just tell them you're going to pass out and they do it, that's it.
For those with sympathetic response (fight-or-flight), you can bring anxiolytics with you or ask the doctor for them (ativan, xanax, valium, etc). Those work for 95% of the population (the other 5%, like me, are generally fucked since only the benzodiazepines are generally approved for this usage).

>>17186901
I wish being pissed-off enough at the fear would help, i could have gotten rid of it a long time ago.
>>
>>17187137
>you can bring anxiolytics with you or ask the doctor for them (ativan, xanax, valium, etc). Those work for 95% of the population (the other 5%, like me, are generally fucked since only the benzodiazepines are generally approved for this usage).
OP here, he only calming meds i think would work would be something that would put mr in such a loopy state that i don't know what's happening.
>>
>>17187216
That's the point. Benzos do that for 95% of people, that's why they're used everywhere.
For example, i'm getting a minor surgical procedure done on my dick in a couple months, and a benzo sedative is an option ("pre-treatment") before the procedure. As in, it's enough to calm people down enough to get large needles jammed into the most sensitive parts of their penis. Then a scalpel gets involved. While awake.
>>
Probably doesn't apply to most people, but I got over my fear of needles by shooting testosterone enanthate into my quadriceps and glutes. Eventually it felt good, man.

I haven't done it for about a year though, but the fear is gone. Two weeks ago I was having dental work and the dentist had to stick a needle deep down in my gums, felt like it went from the bottom gumline into my jaw. Didn't bother me or even hurt that badly, so at least I'm done with all that.

Tldr; poke yourself with some needles?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.