[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Since I fucked up in high school (2.8 GPA, no activities, 24
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: cucumber_water.jpg (12 KB, 406x305) Image search: [Google]
cucumber_water.jpg
12 KB, 406x305
Since I fucked up in high school (2.8 GPA, no activities, 24 ACT) how feasible is it to go to community college and then transfer to somewhere like Princeton, TCNJ, or NYU
>>
Pretty feasible for the first part. First off, you can easily get into community college with that GPA.

Transferring though will be harder. Get a 4.0 as best you can, get involved, and pray to the heavens you get in.
>>
>>17186774
What about applying to actual Universities doesn't have to be the best one and my guidance counselor said people with worse GPAs and test scores made it into schools like Rutgers (Newark) I'm also considering Montclair state
>>
>>17186771
>Princeton
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahah
>>
>>17186789
It's close to where I live so why not apply and see what happens
>>
>>17186789
If he isn't White he has a good chance these days.
>>
>>17186831
shit man they'll pretty much pay for you to go if you're black/asian or a female, definitely so if you're two of those.
>>
>>17186969
I'm Bangladeshi what should I do to get in?
>>
>>17187045
Be a trans woman and get good grades in community college
>>
>>17187055
And by good I mean perfect
>>
>>17187055
I can't be trans that's haram
>>
>>17187085
Do you wanna go to Princeton or not, motherfucker? Bring trans will increase your chances
>>
File: 1451281032010.jpg (709 KB, 2955x2216) Image search: [Google]
1451281032010.jpg
709 KB, 2955x2216
>>17186771
>going to NYU
>paying 60 grand a semester to get a degree from not even an ivy

Shit nigger just go to a CC and head to Rutgers or NJIT or something.

Don't bother going to Princeton unless you want to do research.

I was in a similar situation though OP. I went to Rutgers Newark for two years, mostly because it was literally 15 minutes from house instead of NB, and then transfer to NJIT to finish up a degree in computer engineering.

I will say that newark sucks an inordinate amount of dick but I had almost no problem finding a job after I graduated. I got scooped up in like a month.
>>
go to yale
>>
Not Op but in the same situation
Is there a good social life at Rutgers Newark?
I wanna have a typical college experience with all the parties and bitches and shit but idk if I can get that at Newark, what schools should I apply to if I want a decent degree and good social life
>>
I was a high school drop out, and I was able to get into a really high ranked uni on community college grades.

It's feasible; you just have to have a couple years of close to a 4.0.
>>
File: 1382826748861.jpg (57 KB, 467x352) Image search: [Google]
1382826748861.jpg
57 KB, 467x352
>>17186771
My NJ nigga. I went to Rutgers Newark/NJIT.

I'll help you out though.

1. You're not getting into Princeton. It's not happening. If you were good enough to get in you would have already been accepted. Unless you lose a leg and chop off your dick you're not getting in. Also Ivy schools really aren't worth it anymore. Most top companies don't hire grads from Princeton or Harvard (MIT being the one exception).

2. Chances are you can probably get into the other school, granted, that you get a 4.0 at whatever community college it is you go to. if you don't at least have a 3.8 you're probably fucked because of how poorly you did in high school.

>>17187128
>newark
>social life

You are aware that someone got stabbed at the library by a homeless person. Rutgers Newark and NJIT die after the sun sets.

Also
>going to college to party
Nigger you're going there to get a job. Also enjoy the fourth year RU screw. It happens to everyone when you find out that you actually needed an art class or economics class to graduate.

I will say that I got hired like the second I was done. I couldn't believe it.
>>
>>17186771
Another NJ nigga here (Stevens)

If I could do it all over again, I would have gone straight to Montclair, Rutgers, or some other some other school that is easier to get into and less rigourous. If you didn't do well in HS, you probably won't do well in college (no offense). Old habits die hard.

What are your goals? Do you just want name recognition? The schools you listed, that's all they really have in common. Very different places.

But to answer your question, if you do exceedingly well at community college, they won't even look at your HS gpa once you get your associates. It would be a long shot at the schools you listed unless you do really well and know how to stand out from the other candidates. But again, it doesn't sound like you want something specific from the school other than name recognition.
>>
Listen here OP, I'm you from a different timeline.
You HAVE to have references. You need an extremely impressive portfolio to get talking to someone at a high profile university. Then it'll come up. 'The hell were you doing in high school?' Then admit you were a fuckup, and tell them you grew out of it.
That's the only way.
>>
>>17187155
Is it true the Stevens is the most expensive school in the country?
>>
>>17187142
I agree with all of this except the second point. Even with his GPA, he could probably get into regular state schools. Not evey kid who goes to college had a 3.x GPA. If he does well in community college, he could almost definately transfer into any regular state school (of course engineering programs like at NJIT, Stevens, or any program in general at princeton or TCNJ will be a longshot)
>>
>>17187142
I don't wanna just party, I'm planning on working my ass off for a good GPA but I had strict ass parents who wouldn't let me stay out past 7:30 all through high school and I wanna make up for all the fun I didn't have
>>
>>17187162
What about out state schools,
Penn state or OU, or Ohio state, I've heard of 2.8s being accepted to those schools
>>
>>17187162
I went to NJIT

For certain courses like Pre Calc or Calc I you must maintain a B or better to stay in the engineering program. Pretty much you have to a keep a 3.0 for the first two years. However after that you can pretty much fuck around but it would be stupid.
>>
>>17187161
It's very expensive.

Most people get some scholarship unless they really want you, you are an endangered minority, or your parents are on section 8, you will still be paying a lot out of pocket.

However, you get what you pay for. They have a great co-op program and that means you get experience before you graduate, which leads to more lucrative positions. But it was a really tough school. And if you don't take advantage of the programs, then you're no better off than the kids who went to any other NJ school
>>
>>17187168
Go to NB so you don't get stabbed then. I can personally attest that Rutgers Newark isn't what you're looking for. Most people there are going back for their bachelors or commute. Most people aren't there to party.
>>
>>17187170
Of course. You don't understand how big these schools are and idiots in this thread who don't know their ass from their elbow (wow what a suprise, NJIT kids are retarded) are misleading you.

Just go look at how many people are at all the different penn state campuses. Tell me how many you think have a 3.8 GPA or whatever the fuck the other posters are saying. If you have a pulse, you can get into these schools. EVen if you didn't there are a ton of other smaller colleges which would be glad to have you.
>>
>>17187184
But I have no extra Curriculars and a 2.8 and 24 ACT
>>
I had a really fucking bad GPA in high school (I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if it was a 2.5 by the time I graduated) and had a 21 ACT and 1530 SAT. Ended up going to a state school. I got a 3.7 both semesters and applied to UConn, which is leagues better than where I was going.
I got in really easily. Just be prepared for the extra workload and go for a better school, but be reasonable about it. Undergrad is mostly unimportant anyways so apply to good universities that aren't impossible to get into
>>
>>17187237
How bad is the workload?
The main reason my GPA is right now is ass (11th grade) is because i can't hand stuff in on time and I procrastinate all the time
>>
>>17187184
So u saying if I have a 2.5-2.8 GPA no ECs and a 24-26 ACT I can get into Penn state OSU as a NJ resident???
>>
>>17187253
State school is ridiculously easy. You have to get on top of handing in your assignments though, or else you won't do well on either community, state, or university.
I'm a huge procrastinator and tend to do things the night before and this really only works out for my major classes since it's what I do well in.
At my state school I could just do everything last minute and still get a really good grade. University, on the other hand, was something I had to adjust to as I actually had to put in effort.
>>
>>17187321
Both of their acceptance rates are rather low. I'd say there's a pretty slim chance. It definitely happens, but probably if you have good references and a great essay
>>
>>17187400
How good exactly?
>>
>>17186771
if you believe a lot of the business guys who said they had little education, you could always start a business. Pretty cheap these days with the internet,
>>
Another guy in the same boat as OP
Should I apply to any west coast schools?
I wanna go to UCSB, is is feasible to transfer there after a few semesters at Rutgers?
>>
>>17186771
Jesus OP, are you me? I live in NJ and go to community college for the same reason and was thinking of the same schools.

Although, Princeton does not have a transfer program. You'd have to go in for grad school if you were aiming for that.

Mercer County here.
>>
>>17188566
I feel like all NJ kids apply to the same schools, I was hoping to go to some out of state schools like Penn state or OSU
>>
>>17188301
Very good.

>The average ACT score at Penn State is 27. This score makes Penn State Moderately Competitive for ACT scores. The 25th percentile ACT score is 24, and the 75th percentile ACT score is 29
>The average ACT score composite at Ohio State University is a 28. The 25th percentile ACT score is 27, and the 75th percentile ACT score is 31.
>>
>>17188588
So if I have a 24 I'm not getting in
Got 26 on a practice test recently so I'm hoping I can get something like that on the June test
I'm taking adderall for it
>>
>>17188603
I'm saying you need to improve your GPA at community college to display academic readiness, get a job to display work ethic, volunteer to show that you'll be a good citizen, and write a great essay. Your other option is to begin looking elsewhere. Bumping your ACT into the average range isn't going to do it.
>>
>>17186774
you can't transfer to princeton

sincerely
princeton student
>>
Most community colleges in NJ have "articulation agreements" with community colleges where successful completion of the necessary classes will allow direct transfer to another 2 years at a 4 year institution, and yes, NJIT/TCNJ/Rutgers all consider this.

You still need to get straight A's though, I would think long and hard about how dedicated you are to studying and getting into a good school. You have to earn your stripes before you're taken into the big leagues.
>>
>>17188575
>>17188575
A lot of people from my high school went to other states, not many people go to nearby schools except Rutgers.

From CC to a state school though, I believe NJ law makes it so states schools have to accept your credits/degree when you transfer.
>>
File: r1093953_13127423.jpg (32 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
r1093953_13127423.jpg
32 KB, 700x394
High School doesn't matter, it's going to come down to how you do on the ACT, SAT, or whatever standerdized test they use.

Source: wife is a registrar at the local college.
>>
Princeton is the only university that I know of where you can't transfer you. You must get in as a freshman. NYU isn't exactly the hardest school to get into, but it has a reputation for being expensive for a reason.
>>
Is college even fucking worth it right now?
>>
>>17188704
only if you get a degree that will benefit you, e.g. quantitative or some sort of engineering

in that regards, college is your golden ticket to a good life
>>
>>17188713
Nepotism is crushing me.
>>
>>17188718
nepotism in what job field lol
>>
>>17188727
All of them.
>>
>>17188727
What this guy said: >>17188736

And not just jobs, but every aspect that nepotism can permeate.

Nothing is merit anymore, it's all about knowing some fuck. Lucky you, guy. -You knew a fuck-.
>>
>>17187085
Kek
>>
I wanna go to a UC but I slacked off in HS is there any hope for me??
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.