[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get a therapist? Is it worth it? Could I pay for sessions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: fabeB.jpg (271 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
fabeB.jpg
271 KB, 1400x1400
How do I get a therapist? Is it worth it? Could I pay for sessions with a fast food salary?
>>
NEET bux from mommy and daddy tbhfamalam
>>
>>17186277
Depends, are you on someone's or your own health insurance? If yes, make sure it covers mental at and then research the number of visits it covers and your copay.

If no, you're pretty well screwed. Session's are around $75 dollars per our of pocket. Psychiatry (if needed) would be far more, at least $100+ since they're medical doctors.
>>
>>17186437
I have health insurance by my parents but I'd have to ask about if it covers mental health. Do you think it's likely?
>>
>>17186277
Probably not, since therapists will try to get you to do things you know you're avoiding, like talking to people, getting a job, being open with your feelings and stuff like that. If you're willing to do some work on yourself, they'll guide you. Otherwise they'll be a paid friend who'll listen to you whine and cry and moan and always be there to listen for an hour.
>>
>>17186564
So they're essentially just talking self-help books? Guess I was overrating their usefulness.
>>
>>17186497
It might depend on what job they have. I'm no expert on health insurance, but I know ACA health insurance does mental health, and I have mental health because my father works for my state's government (public jobs are known for having relatively impressive benefits).

If you know the carrier and plan, you can check for yourself without telling them, but if you don't have that, there's pretty much no way around asking them to look for you.

>>17186581
I wouldn't underestimate some of that. But I'll ask you: why do you think you need it?
>>
>>17186616
I feel like I might need it because I am

>young with no friends
>have waning interest in all things I enjoy
>experiencing huge mood swings and having my world view change in the course of days

These seem to be issues not many other 18 year old guys deal with. I have no clue if I could be helped by that though or if I have something tangible like depression to latch onto.
>>
>>17186667
Its probably depression, but rest assured as a fellow 18M many people myself included are experiencing some of the things youre experiencing.
>>
>>17186839
I've always thought that depression required a really strong feeling of despair or sadness or something like that. For me things are just mediocre all the time, and only sometimes dip into being horrible.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.