[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just graduated from High School. Two weeks ago to be exact.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot_22.png (700 KB, 802x601) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_22.png
700 KB, 802x601
I just graduated from High School. Two weeks ago to be exact.
I'm pretty much a poorfag, so I signed and submitted my FAFSA, and am preparing to send out college applications... But I'm a bit confused.

I received a letter from the FAFSA website stating that my request for aid was processed and sent to my listed schools - but no exact mount of $ was listed. What must I do to learn about the amount of money that I received? It's crucial that I learn the amount, as the school that I'm aiming for costs $40,000 for four years (Although it may be less than that for three, as I plan on residing at my parent's place of residence...).

tl;dr
poorfag here where do i find out how much i received from my fafsa, pls dont reply with take a loan because i dont want to be saddled with debt
>>
>American
>No Debt
pick one
>>
>>17185567
">No Debt
Yep. I'd rather go to Japan and work as an English Teacher than be weighed with the siniste burden of debt. Fuck creditor calls and fuck those looming bank ceos with their highfalutin ways. Fuckin' cunts m8."

anyways, back to the topic at hand
>>
The idea was to have this all sorted out before you graduated because schools that accepted your application would have a lot more helpful information regarding your finances there
>>
>>17185588
This.. You won't have much luck at all applying this late. I applied to all my schools the first month of my senior year
>>
You were supposed to send college applications 4-6 months ago.
>>
>>17185588
>>17185597
>>17185605
Fuck.
I'm clinically autistic and a robot from /r9k/, so I didn't have any friends or counselors telling me to do this crap... Is it literally too late for me? Is there any hope? I don't know... With my shit life I'd probably be better off ending it by twenty two.
(I knew what colleges I wanted to apply to, but I never realized that I was supposed to apply so early in the year when my grades were not finalized and my transcripts unreleased. Seriously, this is all just so confusing and frustrating...)
>>
>>17185627
And thus I find out that I've actually missed the fucking deadline for the Fall semester...
I'm so fucked...
>>
>>17185627
OP don't freak out, ok?
it is probably too late for this year but that's OK!!!

check your deadlines for your schools. often you can apply to enter in the spring, so you'd only start a semester behind. if not, apply for next fall. it's fine to take a year off. seriously don't freak out-- applying to college is confusing
>>
>>17185635
If I start a semester behind, won't I miss my first classes and therefore lag behind the other students? I planned on majoring in Computer Science

>applying to college is confusing
It seriously is. When I started looking into things more deeply last week it was as if I was diving into a pool of information clouded with mist - one must take roundabout paths just to grasp or attain a single piece of information. It's messed up.
>>
>>17185657
college doesn't work like high school dude

i mean it does in that you need to get enough credits to move up to the next year ("grade")

but when you get your BA/BS, it doesn't matter how old you are. you might be a year older than a lot of your peers if you start next fall, but i promise you, there will be people who are your age and older in your boat.

so you might be a year older, but you will not be behind. you won't "miss" any classes. you just take the intro levels/whatever you place into when you get there.
>>
Can't you start off at community college OP? It's way cheaper and depending on the state, they might reward you with a grant after you receive associates degree (basically completing all the basics) to be used for university. .
>>
>>17185684
totally didn't think of this
but this, too, OP, could be a good idea for you
>>
>>17185661

This. Technically it doesn't matter when you start college, the problems are all practical ones.

For example, if you just fuck around and play video games all day for 6 months (if your college is on the semester system) then it's going to take you longer to get back into the swing of things once you start.

My suggestion is to look up all the information you can at the schools you want to go to and apply for the Spring, then use the 6 months you've got to take some online courses and get a part-time job, preferably one where you have to interact with people.

This will help you in several ways:

1. It keeps your mind on the academics so that you don't completely forget your study habits.

2. You'll get to work on your social and life skills in general by going out and working at a job with peers, managers, and customers

3. You'll earn some money for when school starts so that you have a bit of something saved in the bank for whatever needs that might arise

4. It'll keep you active and moving - trust me, it's all to easy to fall into the trap of "Meh, I'll get to that next week..." You don't want to fall into a semi-NEET funk and lose motivation.
>>
>>17185684
>>17185698
/biz/ told me that starting off with two year colleges was a bad idea, that some of my classes I'd be forced to retake a few classes. Besides, the CC that I did look at didn't offer the course computer science, but general computer-related courses such as programming and cybersecurity.
>>>/biz/1267462

>>17185661
>>17185700
I may just apply for the Spring semester then. If I use the time from now until then wisely then I shoud be abe to revamp myself socially... And I'd be able to study Computer programming at my own pace.

A question, though. If I do start in the Spring semester will my 2017 Fall semester be skipped? My reasoning dictates that if Fall semester students stay from Fall to Spring then Spring semester students would ahve to study from Spring to Summer, and then Fall as a break? I don't know, it's confusing.. I personally believe that all of this would be made easier if schools mandated that students turn in their future paths (college military etc) instead of shunning away socially crippled students and aiding the popular and more vocal ones... Hell...
>>
>>17185741
no OP, you would still study in the spring and fall. you would just likely graduate in a different month (december maybe?) than usual (may)

you can still do college in the summer if you want, but that's totally your choice. but you'd still do spring and fall semesters.
>>
>>17185741
It's depending on the state and university what classes transfer over. You should look up what courses would transfer over to the university you want and just choose from those. For my university a limit of 66 credit hours could transfer on certain classed, but that was good enough for me since I wanted all my non-essential classes out of the way. You shouldn't focus on getting your bachelor degree at community college, so you shouldn't even be taking classes that deal with what major you want to do. Pick the classes that do transfer.
>>
File: Afghan_village_patrol.jpg (56 KB, 640x428) Image search: [Google]
Afghan_village_patrol.jpg
56 KB, 640x428
>>17185542
> i dont want to be saddled with debt
Um, you do know that the Perkins and Stafford are both loans, right?

FAFSA isn't some magic handjob like your mommy gave you. You DO have to pay the money back.

And, unlike a private loan, federal loans are exempt from bankruptcy. Your nigga ass WILL repay it even if you can't find a job.

My suggestion? As long as your parents are letting you crash, get 3 jobs. Work, work, work, earn the $40,000. Without rent, you can easily save that in 2- 3 years.

Once you have the money in the bank, assuming your daddy doesn't blow it on meth, tell FAFSA to SUCKSA your DICKSA and go to college on your own dime.

Or join the Army. 2-3 years in green, saving every penny, will do you good.
>>
>>17185811
U wot m8? I didnt select the loan options for my fafsa, only the Pell Grant one.

Also, Id def consider joining the military as long as Im stationed in Japan or somewhere near home...
>>
>>17185811
Should I just cancel my FAFSA? I really don't want to be in debt to anyone. I'd rather pay through college by working than have a damn loan.
>>
>>17185811
Could you explain, please? It's worrying because I didn't know about any of that bullcrap. I didn't click any loan options, only the pell grant one. I checked my SAR and saw that I don't have any outstanding loans. I submitted it for the 2016-2017 year.

If I just leave my FAFSA account alone and never bother it again, will I still be charged or given some kind of aid? Keep in mind that I haven't yet applied to a single college.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.