[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give it to me straight, /adv/... How important are contacts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1437192963059.jpg (4 MB, 3225x1906) Image search: [Google]
1437192963059.jpg
4 MB, 3225x1906
Give it to me straight, /adv/...

How important are contacts and just generally knowing people to getting a job?

I have no particular area preference, just something easy and with as little human contact as possible. Pay can be very low, I'll only ever be supporting one and I have cheap tastes. It just seems like absolutely nowhere will take me, even things that don't fit my criteria at all. I get the feeling it's because I'm invisible online and have no friends, as I can fake sociability well enough for long enough.
>>
>>17184987
Contacts can get you in the door. Someone who owes your father a favor may agree to interview you for that reason. But he won't hire you just as a favor to your father.

Having a friend in a particular company means that he might alert you to an opening even before it's advertised, so you can be the first to apply. But he won't get you the job. You still have to sell yourself and deliver what you promise.
>>
>>17185193
This. Unless your contact is a god king or owns the company he's not influential enough to get you more than an interview.
>>
not important as long as your local job center isnt complete shit
>>
>>17184987

Having contacts is very important in terms of getting an upperhand and getting that interview.

Do you have a LinkedIn profile?
>>
>>17184987

kinda depends. i think with entry level work its pretty important. almost every job i had except for my current one i only got cuz someone i know referred me.

but when its NOT a job that just anyone could do (like the one i have now) its really your experience, education and history that interest them. having someone refer you always helps, but most of the people who refer you are going to be people you meet THROUGH WORK at one job and you all go off in different directions and sometimes cross paths again.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.