[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, /adv/, what should I study in college? Currently a freshman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
Ok, /adv/, what should I study in college?

Currently a freshman with flexible study program (applied physics, Eastern Europe)

I love biology and know much, but hate chemistry.
Chemistry doesn't make sense to me, I learn reactions only by heart. I'll try to improve it, but I don't feel I like it at all. Organic chemistry is hell.

Math, physics and programming are kinda interesting, I can understand them if I work on them enough time.

Now in addition to core math and physics I study chemistry and biology.
Should I drop them and pick signal processing, circuits, C/C++ programming, etc intead?

Is my choice important or I can fix it with graduate/doctorate?

If I switch to computer engineering-like program, I will be more closer to get medical equipment engineering, I guess. Is it cooler than math applications to biology?
>>
File: mathphd.jpg (36 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
mathphd.jpg
36 KB, 640x427
>Ph.D in Mathematics
>any job I want
>$300k starting
>>
>>17182858
Yeah but who the fuck actually wants to get a PhD in maths?
>>
>>17182858
What country is this, I don't think math phds work anywhere outside research institutes in mine.
>>
File: 1368469839743.jpg (56 KB, 500x441) Image search: [Google]
1368469839743.jpg
56 KB, 500x441
Is biomedical physics shit and should i study computer engineering instead?

Does it even matter much?
>>
>>17182835
Computational neuroscience
I'm like you, except that I like the chemistry if you were not in an underdeveloped country I would like to study this
>>
>>17183300
>taking 4chan memes seriously
>>
>>17183344
>Underdeveloped country
Yeah, my physics uni teacher told me a sad story, how he was going into neuroscience, but the reagents were too expensive. So he works with magnets stuff.
Thanks, I think neuroscience is cool, downloaded the ebooks, hope it'll help me.
>>
>>17182858
Have fun with the other 200 candidates all aiming for that same position.

>>17182835
Do go to college in the hopes that you will have a direct link to a career, that's what internships are for. Your major ahould be what you enjoy and if you are fortunate enough to find that early and have it relate to a career than great. If not, don't sweat because you're in the majority.
>>
astrophysics

be useful for us, join me at spacex dude. Literally the life.
>>
>>17183635
Why does spacex need astrophysics?
>>
File: 1463281594876 (copy).jpg (447 KB, 1923x1206) Image search: [Google]
1463281594876 (copy).jpg
447 KB, 1923x1206
I'm having trouble selecting a major, anons. I want to be able to freelance work, and I want a lot of money. I also want to double major, since the longer I'm in school the longer I get benefits.

>Math
I like math. It'd be nice to not do a double major and just focus hard on this, and doing good research to maybe get into grad school. I think I'd really enjoy just working at a coffee shop or something during the day, or even programming from home since math majors can usually land that sort of stuff, and researching in my time off from work.

>Math & Computer Science
Since computer science is so quickly becoming crowded, I think this would be a good double major. Out of all the majors I could pick, computer science is most likely to allow me to work from home/wherever there's wifi, probably followed by math.

>Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
This is what my cock is telling me to do. I can't help but imagine getting lots of girls and money by doing this major. And again, I could probably freelance if I can get into software development, and if not, I should be a pretty attractive EE.

Tell me /adv/
>>
aw stem majors. fucking cute. learn a lot that doesn't teach you much because you've be told you'll make a lot of money if you do and that will supposedly make you happy.
>>
>>17184152
>I can't help but imagine getting lots of girls

No. Not until you're post-30, anyway. You'll land an attractive chick who wants to marry you and have a nice house and stable life. But you're not going to get shit just being an engineering nerd while in school/right after school. You'll be lucky to SEE a woman in the workplace, too. You're going to have to work your ass off to meet women in that field.
>>
I'm about to graduate with a CS degree and seriously wish I spent more time working on side projects and meeting people. I have no internships or anything to show besides coursework and mediocre grades. I feel like I ruined my life by being lazy and expecting things to just work out because I'd have a CS degree.
>>
>>17182878
>>17182920
>>17183403
It's a classic /sci/ meme.
>>17182835
Pursue your passion, whatever that is, and you'll find some way to monetize it. If you don't think you have a passion, create a list of majors that you think you might be interested in and look at what classes you'd have to take to get the degree. Choose whichever one has more interesting classes. No one can really tell you what to major in because no one can tell you what you feel.
>>17183300
I have some friends doing biomed eng. and they're pretty happy with their internships and career goals.
>>17184152
I take every opportunity to shill for math as a major because so many people will tell you not to do it because of lack of jobs or something but if you keep your grades up and take more than the bare minimum of classes you'll have options to do something.
>>
>>17182858
I miss those threads
>>
>>17184286
Ah yes, the old 'do-what-you-love' platitude. Does anybody understand return on investment? Spending 60g on an English degree will DOOM you with insurmountable debt. Spending 60g on an engineering degree with a 50g starting salary is a much better option.
>inb4 ur dead inside
>inb4 u'll never be happy
>hobbies=/career
>>
>>17183742
they don't hes talking out of his ass

spacex is probably what he nicknamed his basement
>>
>>17185102
He said do you what you love and then monetise it, retard.

You need both steps to be happy.
>>
File: Obama_laughing.png (74 KB, 243x208) Image search: [Google]
Obama_laughing.png
74 KB, 243x208
>>17182835
> Astronomy
> God tier
>>
File: steveharvey_gives_approval.gif (2 MB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
steveharvey_gives_approval.gif
2 MB, 700x394
>>17185418
>>
>>17182835
>tfw being a historian
>can't find a steady job until I earn my master's degree

Good news, is that I'm going to be teaching in a high school in a couple of months and I'll start my Master's degree on august. The point is that I am happy with my degree.

I know it may be hard to choose, but go for what makes you happier. If it doesn't work, it's alright, you can drop it after one or two semesters, I've known people that have done that. It's the most normal thing in the world.
>>
>>17185102
Not all of us are american and the OP is from Europe, so he won't have that kind of problem.

No need to be so bitter about your choices in life.
>>
>>17185648
Europeans have much larger problems.
>>
>>17185411
Yeah just monetize it. Just push the big red monetize button. Just create and cultivate a market for your artisan toothbrushes/book reading abilities. JUST
>>
>>17185826
That's not up for discussion. Stay on topic.
>>
>>17185832
How old are you? Your attitude is rather immature.
>>
>>17185396

no, got a internship and now have a permanent position
>>
>>17182835
Those are pleb sciences for women anon. Mostly, used just to go into Nursing. Do something similar but manly - Bioinformatics. You learn about computer science and biology and use your knowledge to help people improve how we get our health care information and you could be the guy who truly takes genetics info mainstream.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.