[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one balance school, a job, and a social life? Seriously,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 600x536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 600x536
How does one balance school, a job, and a social life? Seriously, I was chilling with my friends, and all of sudden I get a call from work asking me to go in tomorrow at 7:00 in the morning. The manager that I was talking to just laughed when I was talking and said welcome to adult life. Holy fuck, is growing up as fucked up as everyone makes it seem. I'm 18 by the way.
>>
>18

Yeah. Adult life is a lot more challenging but can be more rewarding.
>>
>>17180772
next time you're chilling with your friends and work calls, don't answer the fucking phone. and if you are going to answer, be prepared to say that you're out of town and can't make it into work at 7am tomorrow morning
>>
>>17180772
>all of sudden I get a call from work asking me to go in tomorrow at 7:00 in the morning
What's unreasonable about this?
>>
>>17180772
>I get a call from work asking me to go in the morning

Just say no if you don't want to go in. Really not that hard.
>>
>>17180792

a good manager has people that doesn't require him to call people in all the time. or he makes the schedule right the first fucking time.

never answer your phone if work is calling. stick to your availability and work your shifts. don't call in unless it's an emergency. that's all an employee is required to do.

if you're making the money you want you don't have to drop your life the second your job calls you, unless it's your career and at 18 it's probably not that.
>>
>>17180788
this only works for retail work or other places with fast/pace in/out type mentalities.

any other working environment will have you fired or seriously resented by your boss
>>
>>17180907
Shift jobs where you don't have a set schedule usually are those types of jobs, though.
>>
>>17180902
I agree with this anon 100%. If I have a schedule thats the one I'm sticking for. I work at a call-center and even they don't call me and force me to work off hours. If they need they'll send everyone an internal e-mail asking who is available to work extra hours. That's how it should be done.
>>
>>17180907
resented by your boss sure but if you live in the states you literally can't be fired for refusing to come in for a shift with less than 24 hours notice, that would be wrongful termination and a massive lawsuit. you're a human being, you have a right to a social life
>>
>>17180772

also don't let some loser manager tell you "welcome to adult life". that guy probably fucking hates his life and he doesn't mind making you hate yours too.

adult life isn't working a service job and not having a social life because your dickhead manager called you in. that's 18-21 yr life until you don't have to work those shit jobs anymore because you become an actual adult.
>>
>>17180792
Depends on the job and conditions I signed up for.

If my work called me up out of the blue and asked me to come in immediately the next morning, there's a good chance I'd just say no.

But then, I don't actually need work to literally survive, so I have some capacity for a spine.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.