[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I supposed to tell my boyfriend that I'm starting to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1463950043816.jpg (55 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1463950043816.jpg
55 KB, 640x640
Am I supposed to tell my boyfriend that I'm starting to take medication for my anxiety/depression?
>>
>>17180434
If there's any serious side-effects to taking them, I'd recommend you tell him now rather than having to explain yourself later.
>>
yes please do.
I went on meds and it made me really depressed and my sex drive got so low. I failed to tell him and he thought that there was something wrong with him and it caused a lot of problems. Just tell him that there might be side effects that are not that pleasant and ask him for his support if that happens
>>
>>17180440
it's just lovan/fluoxetine
>>17180441
how should I word it?
>>
Yes. Most of the time there are side effects and you may act completely different. Also if you've been together for at least a year he should already know you got problems and be caring enough to at least help.
>>
>>17180434
If you care for your boyfriend I don't see why not. I'm sure he would appreciate you trusting him enough to let him know about something as serious as your depression/anxiety.
>>
>>17180434
Ask your doctor how likely and drastic the side effects are. If you're long term with the guy I'd consider telling him. Have you tried therapy and/or CBT techniques? I assume you have as I'd definitely try to (and did) exhaust all options before trying medication.
>>
yes

1) telling another person let's them help you monitor your behavior on medication
2) being on anxiety meds isn't shameful. humans have an apex predator brain that sometimes needs to be calmed down in modern society
>>
>>17180434
Yes. Almost all of the medications that address that issue can have very drastic effects on your personality and behavior towards him. Don't leave him guessing.
>>
Thank you all, I'll let him know. Is this okay?
"hey, i'm on antidepressants now so if i act funny or if my sex drive fucks up then you know why
i love you"

>>17180553
I still see my psychologist once a week but I haven't specifically tried CBT or other specific techniques since at the moment I have lots of trouble talking. She suggested giving meds a shot and trying CBT once I get a little better at talking
>>
>>17180569
>fluoxetine

that's good. and if he asks why just tell him you're tired of your brain sabotaging you all day.
>>
>>17180569
I'm some retard online so obviously take my advice with a grain of salt, but I get the idea the best practice is to try CBT/psychotherapy and then if that doesn't work take medication. I'd potentially consider getting a second opinion. It's fine if it takes you time to open but I'd wait. A lot of these drugs are no joke. I'd definitely try CBT (see if you can find some techniques yourself or get your psychologist to write you up some) extensively before take any drug that affect brain chemistry. My mother is a GP and very frequently criticises mental health practitioners for going to pills to early, especially after the studies are supporting CBT as a better first line. Either way, good luck OP.
>>
>>17180569
It's your health and your business. If it affects your sex drive, it'd be fair to tell him. There's no obligation to tell him unless they impact the relationship. If the drugs work, don't say a thing. Some people may ask you why you're not drinking as much. Tell them you're saving money or want to get into better shape.
>>
>>17180434
>Am I supposed to tell my boyfriend that I'm starting to take medication for my anxiety/depression?
Legally? No. Morally? Still no. But from a logistical standpoint, it is a good idea. As long as the relationship lasts, he will find out eventually. Once he knows, you have a partner in your fight against these conditions, and a partner is a valuable thing to have.
>>
>>17180553
Why would she introduce cock and ball torture with anxiety meds?
>>
>>17180434
I'd probably dump you

You don't need medication for anxiety/depression

What you need to do is actually tackle the problems instead of avoiding them and numbing the pain away with drugs.

Not that you will listen. The zero effort pill that magically solves everything is too enticing.
Just remember that autism is a common side effect of SSRI use by pregnant women. Enjoy your retarded mutant offspring; if you ever even have any.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.