[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>4.0 gpa >ace every class that isn't math >take
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1418840427034.png (206 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
1418840427034.png
206 KB, 500x250
>4.0 gpa
>ace every class that isn't math
>take math
>fail
>take same math class
>pass barely
>now I need next tier
>failed first try
>was told i could try and test out if I wanted

So I've tried tutors, I study every single day usually 2-3 hours, I always complete all the homework, yet I cannot pass this last algebra class to access statistics (funnily enough I aced the statistics portion of the class). Fortunately this class has little to no affect on my gpa.

But I'm curious, what the fuck is wrong with me? I excel so easily in every other field of study, but math is a fucking brick wall for me. The advisor at my college basically told me thinks I'm dumb and that college "isn't for you", even though I crush every other field of study and maintain a perfect to near perfect gpa despite my failings in math.

I need 2 more hours of electives, and a stats class to finish. But this fucking math is holding me up. Does anyone have any advice/tips for someone like me? I've tried khanacademy and all that shit, when I take math I always have a tutor, and I always put the work in, but it doesn't seem to mean shit when I get the test in front of me, and suddenly it all blanks out. I don't even get nervous.
>>
Maybe you're numbers retarded? There's a technical term for it.
>>
you probably don't have a good foundation in math. I guess you're too far along to go back and try to relearn the basics but that would be my guess.
>>
>>17180248
That is what I'm starting to think. Can adults even be evaluated for something like this? Should I even bother?

>>17180250
I don't know what a good foundation in math would be. I know the basics pretty well and don't struggle with the easier stuff.

What I noticed though, is that I don't understand how math works at all. Like even a bit. The only way I know how to do things in math, is by pure memorization. The logic just doesn't exist for me. In order to pass a test, I have to have shit down to muscle memory, I rarely ever know why anything is the way it is when I'm solving a problem, just that its the way its supposed to be done. Also let me put it like this, when I read a textbook using a bunch of math lingo, I get lost and confused as fuck. It means absolutely nothing to me, and I don't understand it at all.

It is immensely frustrating to get hung up on math, when everything else is a fucking cake walk for me.
>>
>>17180270
Reading this, I guarantee you have math related dyslexia. It has a specific name, but there is a form of dyslexia that is essentially only related to math, and doesn't inhibit you in other ways, hence you excelling in other fields.

Whether or not you want to be diagnosed is up to you, I doubt there is much that can be done about the condition, as not a whole lot is known about it, and it is still being studied.

You're just going to have to find some means for you to pass, and equate math with something that you have an easier time with somehow to try and make more sense of it.

Either way, you're not alone, and I understand your frustration, my brother is just full on dyslexic and I can see the frustration in his face when he gets home from classes and shit.
>>
>>17180240
Define "other fields?" Real things like biology and chemistry or fluff things like psychology and creative writing?
>>
>>17180308

Seconded
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.