[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Euthanasia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20160524_170350.jpg (93 KB, 742x540) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160524_170350.jpg
93 KB, 742x540
So over the last three months my cat lost his appetite and gradually went from 11lbs to 4.6lbs. during this time my vet suspected that it was some sort of throat infection that was preventing him from eating. My cat in the last week began acting very lethargic and no longer had the energy to jump up onto his perch. I just got back from the vet and he diagnosed that my cat had complete renal failure and would go comatose within a week and die. I just scheduled an appointment to have my cat euthanized Thursday morning and am not sure what to expect. Do any of you have experience with putting your pets down?

Pic is cat
>>
It's going to hit you pretty hard and you're going to feel like shit for a while. Even if you didnt absolutely LOVE your cat, it's still going to be a hole in your daily life for a while.
>>
>>17179318
>having a cat
>having emotions tired to it
Literally why. Cats are assholes I'm not even memeing. Another reason to not like them down below.
http://www.fox5ny.com/health/113215147-story
>>
>>17179318
Had to put two cats down in the past year for cancer and general old age. It sucks, but all you can do is hold their paw while they slowly lose consciousness and die. Ask if the vet offers a paw imprint, it's what we got for our two cats.
>>
>>17179322
>wah people do/like things that are different from what I do/like
Shouldn't you have a trip code Dr. Lonelychan the internet warrior or does mom not let you have computer privileges often enough for it to matter
>>
File: 1463194327443s.jpg (2 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1463194327443s.jpg
2 KB, 125x125
>>17179337
>waaah people dislike things that I like
Gee I turned that around real quick didn't I? ;^)
im sorry I made you so upset
>>
>>17179318
OP, the thing to understand is this: animals don't have a notion of the future; your cat doesn't even understand death, much less fear it. you're doing the kindest thing that can be done for a suffering, terminal animal. you're making it so that your cat will gently drift off to sleep and die painlessly and unconsciously; it's much better than the alternative. my last cat had a large-cell GI lymphoma, and when it came time, he died at 4 AM the morning of the day he was scheduled to be euthanized, in pain.

you are doing the right thing, op; /an/ might have more experience to draw from than /adv/
>>
>>17179322
>being this edgy
>making stupid posts
Literally why. Edgelords are dumbasses I'm not even memeing.
>>
They put the kitty on the table in front of you and give it an IV. You can hold their paw if you want, or scratch their noggin. It goes to sleep real quickly; they give it a very large dose (for a cat) of morphine usually. Afterwards they will probably offer you some kind of cremation services, or give you a box to take the kitty home in. You can bury them if you like or put them in the bin if you're not that sentimental about the body. I'm sorry for your loss op <3
>>
Had an old dog. Really fucking old and I think it was sick too, wouldn't eat, grew really thin and was loosing his fur. Got it into the woods and shot it, good times. Felt a little sad though.
>>
Op here. Thank you guys for your feedback. I appreciate it.
>>
>>17179370
You win.
>>
>>17179318
Why are you putting your cat down? If your vet isn't helping enough go to another vet. I don't get why people give up so easily on their pets. When I finish vet school I'll be sure to not allow that in my practice.
>>
>>17179621
>complete renal failure
>>
>>17179318
>Do any of you have experience with putting your pets down?

I had a cat for 20 years. He was really the sweetest, best buddy of a cat. He was a big handsome Maine Coon and I loved/love him very much. He was fine up until the last 2 days. I won't go into too much detail. I took him to a vet and had tests done on him to see if there was any possible way I could save him.

Unfortunately, nothing could be done and money was not the issue. I had to make the choice to let him suffer or not. I held him in my arms while they gave him the shot, just like I would when I'd carry him to look out the window looking at the birds during better times. This was about 6 months ago and I still tear up when I think about it.

Just tell your buddy how much you love him and spend as much time as you can. Your kitty knows he is loved.
>>
File: RainbowBridge2.jpg (106 KB, 792x1024) Image search: [Google]
RainbowBridge2.jpg
106 KB, 792x1024
>>17179318
It's going to be rough OP.

I remember having to put down my dog because he had cancer. I cried like a bitch for like a week and called out of work the entire week because the only thing I could remember was my dog looking at thinking that he was just getting taken the vet and this was just a regular shot. I felt like such a cunt because my dog trusted me. That fucking dog had been with me for the better part of 15 years and had been there for me since I got out of university.

It hurts worse than almost anything I've ever done in my entire life. However I had to remember that he would have just lived longer with horrific pain and died anyways. You have to know that you're making the right choice to put down your cat. You're really helping them. I'm sure your cat doesn't want to suffer and I'm sure you don't want to see your cat suffer too.
>>
>>17179621
that is some cruel bait, anon; i hope nobody takes it

>>17179667
ah shit
>>
>this thread
>>
It's not as hard as what you think it will be like.

When my dogs were put down (two at the same time) it literally looked like they were asleep. Maybe it's cause they put my dogs to sleep first then killed them. It's a great last memory of them, to see them resting, instead of struggling to live.

The hardest part comes after. Waking up from dreams of them. Coming home to an empty house. Passing the pet aisle in your favorite supermarket. Referring to your cat in past tense, instead of present.

Good luck.
>>
>>17179667
Regardless it's always good to have a second opinion. Many times a doctor will miss diagnose something. Says your pet has cancer that's inoperable and says to out it down. Takes to another vet and they are able to remove the cancer and save your pet. Happens a lot.
>>
I had to put my 18 year old cat to sleep 3 weeks ago. I still cry about it sometimes. Especially when I see one that looked like her. She had kidney problems but that's not why I had to let her go. her lungs were filling with fluid and she was essentially drowning by her own lungs. She was laying on a bed with an iv in her. Held her told her I loved her. They first administer anesthesia so she wouldn't feel a thing then administer some white looking stuff that stops her organs from working. You will feel the life leave but it was oddly very peaceful. They put her in a little box and later mailed us her paw print and a letter from the doctors and office assistant giving condolences. After that I got to thinking...
Death is the greatest and most loving gift you can give a suffering pet.
It was a whole lot better than watching her drown. I'm so sorry for your loss op it will get better. <3
>>
>>17179318

Sorry to hear it op, just know that you gave your cat a good life and his/her pain and suffering is over. Godspeed OP, keep your head up.
>>
>>17179322
>Cats are assholes
Not all of them. I have a fat, jiggly nutsack of a cat that's really cool. He's quiet, loves cuddles, and he shits responsibly. He's also very entertaining.
>>
Just chuck it in a dumpster and get a new one
>>
>>17180320
Literally all cats are assholes, no exceptions
>>
>>17179318
My cat had renal failure

You can do quite a bit to extend lifespan. My cat was practically terminal and survived another 7-8 months before I finally had her euthanized when she got really bad.

Go to this website: http://www.felinecrf.org/

Follow the advice.

When it comes time for euthanization, have the vets come to your home, and give him a proper burial. Whatever you think is good, but don't just let them take his body away. I didn't think I'd care, because she'd already passed away, and a corpse is just a corpse, but it turns out it really felt wrong and I regret it immensely.
>>
>>17181135
>Shelling out money on a furry little shit
>>
>>17181097
Strongly disagree.Once had a black cat that was very loving,never caused me any trouble.
>>17179318
Had to have my dog euthanised a year ago.Part of the family for 14 years.Took him in off the street as a pup.Had to bury him myself in the pissing rain.I almost felt like i had betrayed him even though there was nothing I could've done because he had a brain tumour.I was in a bad way for a week and was soon back to normal.Luckily I have two other great dogs so that helped me to recover.You'll be okay anon
>>
Hey there anon, I'm very sorry about your cat.
I'm a vet technician so I have a lot of experience with euthenasia. Euthenasia is an overdose of anaesthetic, so it's just like going to sleep but never waking up. Mostly it's very easy and quick and it looks like they are just sleeping. It's very quick. Usually the vet will put in an Iv catheter, and you can hold your cat during the euthanasia.
It's very peaceful.
>>
>>17181188
If you don't want to be present for the euthanasia procedure and it's too hard for you what happens at my work is that the owner will say goodbye and a vet will place a catheter while a nurse holds them and then put them to sleep. We are always very nice and kind to the animals and someone will give them pats and talk kindly to them. So if you don't want to be present don't be worried, lots of owners can't. The staff won't judge you, if anything they will be even more understanding because we know how much it hurts.
You are going to be heartbroken, your cat will be alive, then very quickly will be gone. It's going to hurt your heart and feel like it will never get better, but it will.
My advice is to try and think of happy memories and remember that your cat loves you and wouldn't want you to be hurting over them, they would want you to be happy with the time you shared together.
I wish you the best of luck anon. Be strong.
>>
>>17181150
>shelling out money on video games
>video games is interchangeable with practically all material possessions

Go be edgy in another thread, dolt.
>>
>>17181135

op here

Thank you for that link. It was very informative. I started gaining hope up until it said that cats with pcv levels below 15% require a blood transfusion. My cat is currently at 10% and I couldn't find any information about pet blood banks in my area.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.