[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/. This is my first visit to this board but I think my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: Meme_7dbc10_5866305.jpg (43 KB, 500x312) Image search: [Google]
Meme_7dbc10_5866305.jpg
43 KB, 500x312
Hey /adv/. This is my first visit to this board but I think my question belongs here.

The apartment complex in which I live has now instituted a system in which me must create a login and password to browse the internet, and I am considering using a VPN to protect my privacy.

I was hoping you all could give me general advice about using proxies, and also give recommendations on which VPNs are good - and feel free to tell me if my privacy concerns are perhaps unfounded.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>apartment complex
>you're not paying for your own internet

you live in a dorm
>>
>>17179329
>>17179329
I live in an off-campus apartment that has internet included. I could get my own internet, but I still have to pay for theirs. It has some affiliation with the campus so it might as well be a dorm.
>>
self-bump
>>
last self-bump
>>
you will have to register anyways, so in what way do you want your privacy to be protected? that the university doesnt see what you are doing?
or that filesharing cant be traced back to you?

In both cases: VPN is the solution of choice, use one that is EFF supported and runs on your place, hurdles:

Free VPNs are not your best bet for online gaming or big file sharing, but enough for browsing the web safely (online gaming ping, download speed and mostly they are limited in download capasity)

Non free VPNs can be better, but as you are cost aware will probably not be cost efficient enough for you aswell
>>
>>17179489
Thanks for the info. I am mostly just wary of anyone collected info about my browsing habits and filesharing.

I'm open to using a paid service. I'm still doing the research, but do you have any recommended VPNs off-hand?
>>
>>17179508
sorry, dont have any and dont use any for downloads from OCHs

maybe this can help you, although it's a long list to read through maybe you can find a few favorably outside of your jurisdiction: https://torrentfreak.com/anonymous-vpn-service-provider-review-2015-150228/2/
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.