[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a job interview in like 15 hours and I'm shitting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8
File: 1396824975436.jpg (72 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1396824975436.jpg
72 KB, 600x800
I have a job interview in like 15 hours and I'm shitting myself.

What do I say if they ask what my weaknesses are or ask me to talk about myself?

HELP
>>
>>17179006
Downplay your weaknesses, talk yourself up. Simple.
>>
File: QOFM.jpg (111 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
QOFM.jpg
111 KB, 1024x768
If they ask you what you're weaknesses are, they're really looking at how you handle uncomfortable situations.

Say something non-specific, like: "When I make a mistake, I look for solutions so it doesn't happen again."

Truthfully, they already have your qualifications from your resume. They just want to make sure 1) you're trainable, and 2) you're not a jerk.

I know this sounds trite, but: be yourself. Imagine how exhausting it would be if you put on an act, and then had to put on a show for them five days a week for the next few years. Smile, do your best, and let the chips fall where they may.
>>
>>17179006
Tell them your weaknesses? Be humble... say shit that you're bad at (can be made up), and then provide proof that you're trying to better yourself. Like, "I have a problem giving up control when working with teams of people" and then follow with "But I've been making a conscious effort in those types of situations to trust other people".

When talking about yourself, stay modest. Tell them shit you've done, "I've accomplished this, which helped me improve my social skills and my leadership skills"... "I do a lot of self-studying and learned how to (insert what skill you've learned here) on my own... I'm very dedicated to professional development"...

at the end show you're super into the job by asking about things like, professional development opportunities (do they pay for classes/courses), opportunity for job advancement in your position (can I eventually become like a senior manager or something).
>>
>>17179006
>what would you say is your biggest weakness anon?
>honesty......
>I don't think honesty is a weakness!
>I don't give a fuck what you think!!
>>
The key is to keep them intrigued and a little off-balance so they aren't able to nail you with any "gotcha" questions. When they ask you about your weaknesses, just tell them that you're deathly allergic to ammonium perchlorate. Tell them that when you come into contact with ammonium perchlorate, your hair falls out and your skin sloughs off in soft wet chunks. Reassure them that as long as they can keep ammonium perchlorate out of the office, you really have no weaknesses.

When they ask you just basic general questions about yourself, like where you're from, smile mysteriously and say things like, "Oh, you know, here and there ...", trailing off with a faraway look in your eyes.
>>
You could always go with the Joke Response: "I work too hard and care too much!"

Follow it up with, "What are YOUR biggest weaknesses?"
>>
>>17180051
You must spend your time doing something, and with that, spin it to sound socially acceptable. For example:

4chan: "I am active in many online communities that are dedicated to my interested, such as history and science (even if you don't visit /his/ and /sci/, it's all 4chan)

My point is ANYTHING can be spun to sound better than it is.
>>
File: 1462835349898.jpg (34 KB, 351x351) Image search: [Google]
1462835349898.jpg
34 KB, 351x351
>>17180102
It's only for a temporary sales assistant position but I just know there gonna ask something difficult and I won't know what to say because I don't have any examples of things I've done oh shit oh shit.
>>
>>17180102
How do u learn to spin everything so it sounds better socially?
>>
>>17180170
Buzzwords my man (or woman). Words like: active, engaged, participated, lead, sound better than basic action words like "I go to ...".
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (50 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
50 KB, 1280x720
>>17179006
Oh man I've been unemployed for months with tons of gaps they're gonna laugh at me.

This interview must be a trap.
>>
>>17180194
That's normal, fag
>>
File: 1382805357888.png (39 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1382805357888.png
39 KB, 645x773
>>17180211
>>17179006
Why can't they just give me the job?
I can't handle this social anxiety.
>>
File: 1408543297950-559d0048a8f5a.png (29 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1408543297950-559d0048a8f5a.png
29 KB, 633x758
>Experience isn't necessary as we are mainly looking for a bubbly and charismatic individual who is confident in talking to people, who always has a smile on their face and who would love to be a brand ambassador

>You must be reliable, trustworthy and hard working - In return, we offer a competitive rate of pay and a generous uniform and discount scheme, with career progression for the right individuals!

This is what it says on the ad what the fuck do I say to this.
>>
>>17180238
If you have selfsteem issues and social anxiety, then that job doesn't suit you. Unless you're willing to face your fears and open up, then tis job would be perfect for you.
>>
Hit em with a joke, I got asked the same "what is you're biggest weakness?" in an interview and ended up getting the job.

Be like "my biggest weakness is answering loaded questions. "
>>
>>17180238
You realize if they didn't like you or think you're competent in the first place, than they've wouldn't had given you an interview. The ad states that they want someone bubbly and charismatic, so show those characteristics during the interview. Write down your traits i.e., strengths and weaknesses and what contribution you can provide the team. Read the ad and show them you have all those characteristics.
>>
>>17180293
Usually I say something to the effect of: I'm too punctual; I'm too hardworking; or I'm too detail-oriented. Only one interviewer has called me out on it so far. Ha.
>>
>>17179006
my biggest weakness is interviews

bam you're hired
>>
File: Lollipop-chainsaw-4.png (1 MB, 1277x716) Image search: [Google]
Lollipop-chainsaw-4.png
1 MB, 1277x716
>>17179006
The interview was actually pretty chill I sat up all night studying interview questions for no reason have a trail shift this Saturday I'm very happy.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.