[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any engineers on 4chan? I was thinking of choosing Aerospace
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
Any engineers on 4chan? I was thinking of choosing Aerospace Engineering for my major, but the negative growth in available jobs is concerning to me. Will I be able to get a job after I get the degree because of all the older engineers retiring or am I picking the wrong major?

Also, I'm bipolar so I'm worried I won't pass clearance because of this. My condition is stable but I'm being treated for it currently. Thanks
>>
Plz respond
>>
>>17178675
Electrical Engineer here. I highly recommend EE, it's very interesting and there's tons of neat shit you can get into.

I don't know very much about the job market as I'm pretty much counting on my shiny Master's degree landing me a decent position. If you don't have the opportunity to go to a good/renowned school, that may not really work out for you.
>>
>>17179228

Oh, I see. Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't be going to that great of a school. Any engineering job would be great for me, I'm doing it more for financial security purposes, I just wanted to do aerospace because it interested me the most so far
>>
EE master race here. An EE can do the work of an EE, systems engineer, computer science, or any computer job in general.

The reverse isn't true, a computer science grad wouldn't get hired for electrical engineering work.

It is a lot harder than CS. CS is still probably the best bet in terms of money for effort.
>>
>>17179403

Hmm good to know. I'd like to work on schematics so I was thinking mechanical or aerospace. The problem is I don't really know what engineers do.

What can you do with a physics bachelor's or masters degree? I don't think I'm ready to dedicate my life to science
>>
>>17178675
If you're interested in the mechanical side of things go with ME then you can probably still do (try to look this up) your msc in AE. This way you will have a more general background so more jobs. You can also focus on AE related stuff while you do your ME if you can.
>>17179403
This has a lot of truth in it. CS is usually software only.
CE and EE are the degrees where you see the hardware side.
If electronics/electricity interests you check out EE too. EE also has a lot of applied physics tier subfields with lasters, radars, etc. It utilizes modern physics greatly.
Maybe mechatronics is worth checking out too if you can find a proper degree which actually teaches proper interdisciplinary knowledge and electricity and isn't a ME degree with 3 different classes.
>>17179506
>The problem is I don't really know what engineers do.
It depends. They can do maintenance, checking and confirming whether a design is safe, design a device or parts of a device.
An EE might design an electrical device like a router or a power supply. They could design just part of a circuit like a chip.
Very educated engineers might work essentially with applied physics doing the conceptual design of radars for example. Others might design antennas. Somebody working as a systems engineer could oversee the overall design of a product across the domain of mechanical-, electrical engineering, optics, etc. conercning himself with how all of these fit together and which solution to use. (See Mechatronics for related info too.)
Someone with such knowledge could work only in one discipline (as an EE for example.) too meanwhile his vast experience could provide him the means to communicate with engineers from other disciplines (with an ME) and provide a better design by having a wide understanding.
Some engineers simply work as consultants to asses the needs of clients doing no actual design but formulating requirements and assessing costs.
Engineering is as broad as it can get.
>>
I was thinking of Chemical Engineering. Any chemical engineers (or anyone) want to make an input on this? Is it a good idea? Will I get tired of it?
>>
Is Mechatronics a meme?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.