[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anxiety problem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 1453741459659.jpg (228 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1453741459659.jpg
228 KB, 1920x1080
What medication does /adv/ recommend for anxiety?
I have too much anxiety and I'm depressed but I believe the anxiety is the main cause for my poor health.
My only rule is no antidepressants such as Prozac. They don't work enough and and change you too much.
Please help.
>>
>>17174839
Ativan helps but for the short run. It's a Benzo so it can be very addicting and you can build up tolerance to it. Therapy/Group therapy to change your thought process.
>>
>>17174839
Wondering myself.
>>
>>17174867
Would it be bad to take Ativan with any sleep meds?
>>
Lemon extract, use a drop directly on the tongue anytime you feel anxious.
>>
>>17174895
I've done it. You get very tired and are groggy out of it the next day. I wouldn't do it again. I don't know what it does chemically.
>>
>>17174914
Do you think the depression and anxiety is causing my insomnia as well? So if I take Ativan it'll make me sleep at night better?
Thanks for the help btw
>>
>>17174932
Ativan works on your central nervous system. It calms you and CAN make you sleepy. It helped me sleep when I took them, you can get odd dreams from it sometimes.
>>
>>17174901
What if you're always anxious?
>>
>>17174944
I can work with being sleepy, weird dreams are a plus.
Did you try anything else that was more beneficial than destructive?

>>17174901
Lemon extract seems a bit out there but also seems like there is nothing that can harm me, what does the extract do exactly?
>>
>>17174962
Group therapy helps me, exercise and running helps. Also eating proper foods helps. In terms of meds, no.
>>
>>17174839
Self bump.

Does anyone else have any advice on what I should look into?
>>
>>17175059
I have doubts about western medicine.
These chemicals are produced in an environment based around greed and power. That doesn't mean they are bad but keeping that in mind when making choices is helpful.

Things that might help but can't make cooperations big moneez won't be given to you on western medicine.

You might want to try traditional chinese medicine or possibly use mind altering states induced by certain recreational drugs to change your irrational relationship with fears or things that trigger negative thoughts.
I'm not advocating illegal drugs, but there is more and more research suggesting that weed, lsd, dmt, mdma, etc. might help when used in preferable environments that can facilitate healing.
I would give you sauce but I'm lazy, doubt is generally advised when self medicating.
>>
>>17174839
First: SSRIs and other primary antidepressants
>My only rule is no antidepressants such as Prozac.
Bad rule, these are used FIRST now for good reasons.
They work, work all the time instead of just on-demand, have fewer and milder side effects, etc. And they don't "change you" (cognitive effects) nearly as much as benzodiazepines.

Second: benzodiazepines like diazepam, oxazepam, olanzapine, clonazepam, et

Third: tianeptine, benzoctamine, buspirone, gabapentin, pregabalin, phenibut, other misc GABAergics

Fourth: beta blockers like propanolol and timolol (mainly work on the physical symptoms)

Fifth: hydroxyzine, trancylpromine

Xth: (if you have severe neurological abnormalities in the adrenergic system): methylphenidate, amphetamine, alpha2 blockers like clonidine and guanfacine, more beta-blockers, prazosin

>>17175129
>Things that might help but can't make cooperations big moneez
Generally everything that helps can make pharma companies rich. Look up colchicine, it's been in clinical use for over 2000 years and they still managed to exploit an FDA program to quasi-patent and make tons of money off it.

Only big exceptions right now are the soviet/post-soviet meds (since most of the patents are owned by barely-legitimate post-soviet oligarch-owned corporations that won't play ball).
Some of them actually work, like phenibut: works a lot like pregabalin (gaba-associated calcium channel modulator iirc) except it's dirt cheap instead of $400 per month.
>>
>>17175186
Not gonna argue, you'r clearly more into the details than I am. I just have a feeling, to be very critical of pharma, maybe biased because it nothing but harmed me.
>>
>>17175186

I've been in other depression threads and there were a lot of people saying that they made a mistake taking antidepressants, that they makes you different. You can't feel strong emotions anymore and make you just a boring person generally speaking.
That's why I have my doubts on them. Plus my mom took a variety of antidep. and she got messed up (subconsciously crazy).

I don't understand the first second third thing you're doing though. What do you mean by that?
>>
>>17175129
I mean if the product actually helps then it shouldn't matter if they are greedy, right?
>>
Chamomile and sleepy time tea are easy things you can get at the store.

Sleepy time before bed, about every other day for a week to ensure you get good rest, and chamomile as you need it through the day. The process of brewing the tea bag alone has it's own calming effect as you just take the time out to sit and watch it steep and color the water.

A little teaspoon or two of honey goes really well with it too, as chamomile has a kind of weird flavor on it's own.
>>
>>17175255
Yeah i definitely have my share of bad experiences too, both with bad doctors and wrong meds.
Ended up in the ER with NMS w/ rhabdomyolysis (all muscles tearing themselves apart) after a particularly bad one. They gave me more of the wrong meds to try to help me relax (benzos), which only seems funny in hindsight.

Good lesson for OP here: don't fuck with this kind of stuff unless you're already seriously sick. Western medical system means hardcore treatment for hardcore problems. If you can keep going without meds, tough it out a while longer.

>>17175348
>You can't feel strong emotions anymore and make you just a boring person generally speaking.
That's a negative side effect (ie a reason to stop taking it and take something else): it's the opposite of what's supposed to happen, since it's a symptom of depression (blunted affect) that ADs are supposed to fix.

>>17175348
>What do you mean by that?
Basically they should be considered (as primary anxiolytics) in that order: first ones are safest/easiest, fifth are most dangerous/inconvenient.
Third are safer for long-term than the second though.

Xth includes stuff like stimulants that tend to increase anxiety in normal people, only help if your brain is very abnormal.

And if you're mainly worried about what the anxiety's doing to your cardiovascular system (eg if your heart rate is 150 all day long), skip straight to the beta blockers.
>>
>>17174839
Meds don't really work for me. Or the side effects don't make it worth it. The only thing that works for me is weed. Even after the high is over, my anxiety is gone. Too bad I'm not able to smoke it more often.
>>
>>17175366
I see what you mean now.
And im just planning ahead and seeing if this is actually a real problem. Im trying to move out of my parents place right now and its not a good environment for me. Plus the anxiety is on overdrive since im making big changes in my life you know? I need to be surrounded by good people to feel real happiness as of right now. Feel decent and calm alone but I just can't stand being around family anymore. I def think that counseling will help though.
Well that was a little rambley.
>>
File: ToAvoidStress.jpg (158 KB, 622x681) Image search: [Google]
ToAvoidStress.jpg
158 KB, 622x681
>>17175421
I know how you feel, man. Family drives me up the fucking wall too.
Inherited some kind of (non-autistic) social handicap from my father's side of the family and I'm trying to overcome it. Hard as hell but I'm making a bit of progress day by day.
Damn annoying thing is that my uncle lives near my college.
Him and my old man can't understand hints and i don't have the heart to just tell them to fuck right off, so i have to juggle them and other family (elderly).

Dealing with their shit and awful parenting all childhood on top of my own issues gave me a pretty bad case of social anxiety, so that's why i have all those meds listed and written up (tried therapy and a lot of different standard drugs, eg SSRIs and benzos, none worked). Forced to take something now since pulse is topping 140bpm for 1/2 the day.
Still trying to socialize though, hopefully can at least manage to make my first friend before year ends.

Stay strong anon, good luck with your shit.
>>
>>17175448
Hey thanks for sharing anon.
Its good that you are trying to socialize.
I just lay in bed all day trying not to feel bad but its exactly what's making me hate life, avoiding it. The only reward is that my bed is comfy..
Stay strong :)
>>
Is there a way to get rid of anxiety without therapy/médication?
I have that weird feeling on the left side of my body that's apparently caused by it.
Sorry for using your thread op but i feel the topic were close enough
>>
>>17175653
Go right ahead, though I have no advice to give
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.