[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know the right people where I work, and down the grapevine,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1459209793929.png (49 KB, 773x576) Image search: [Google]
1459209793929.png
49 KB, 773x576
I know the right people where I work, and down the grapevine, I've found out they're going to "promote" me. This is strongly likely to come with a significant raise, but the job I'd be doing is something I've done in the past and hate with every fiber of my being. It would move me further and further away from my desired career path, and I'm not hurting for money, so the additional pay means fucking nothing to me.

This is going to be a restructure, so I have no choice. I can't say I'm not into it. Our SVP has not asked my opinion on this move and is apparently assuming I would love to take on this role.

I know what I'd be getting into, and it's awful. My plan is to just outright quit, if I can't get immediately transferred internally, which I am 99.8% sure wont happen.

Do I just quit?
>>
>>17171606
>Do I just quit?
No, not if your career advancement is as important to you as you say it is. You start looking for your new job immediately, accept the lousy promotion, and quit as soon as you get a better offer. Even if the details of what you're doing don't look like your desired job, advancement looks better to your next employer than walking away from a promotion.
>>
so why don't you put yourself forward to getting on your desired career path?
>>
>>17171606

talk to your boss and say 'hey i heard im in line for XX or YY job, but i was hoping i could possibly get moved up in the direction of ZZ or WW instead. any chance we can work with that? i love this company but im afraid XX or YY is going to get me further away from where i intend to go.'

if they like you they will work with you. if not start searching for a new job cuz you were going to quit anyways.

doesnt hurt to ask.
>>
>>17172113

The thing is, if I decline now, and resign, they can make sure they don't fuck over their team by going through a massive restructure. There is specifically someone I have in mind who would be well qualified to take this role. He will not be available soon.

>>17172120
I thought I WAS on the right career path, at least tangentially. The problem is, what I want to do is not necessarily what I CAN do. I have a skillset that is more in demand than what I'd actually like to do. There's a reason I came to this company from my last job - to follow my desired career path. Unfortunately, things don't always stay the same, and we have new people than those who hired me.

>>17172134
XX or YY job doesn't exist and asking about this would get the people who informed me about this into a LOT of trouble.
>>
>>17172281

then perhaps go and say
>hi, i hear im in line for some kinda promotion, and i was hoping i might be able to finagle my way itno this particular job'

worst case scenario you still leave. still no harm in asking
>>
>>17172289

The problem is that there isn't a particular job I want to work my way into right now, and the jobs as they stand now aren't going to exist.

The goal is for me to replace the jobs of two people leaving, that I shouldn't know are leaving.
>>
>>17172322

it sucks. i get it. but heres the deal. either way its going to suck.

if you go to him, explain waht you do know, and ask for consideration in a specific direction, you at least have the chance of him taking it into consideration.

or you still just quit if he says no or it goes south.

choose the option you want. but we can't create a magic third option. i go with being a man and just talking it out with your higher up who most likes you (and he has to to some degree if there is a promotion in play)

good luck
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.