[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Construction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: ducca.jpg (37 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ducca.jpg
37 KB, 1280x720
How does construction work? How does everyone know exactly what to do, and in what order? Is anything double checked?

I don't understand how there aren't more construction accidents/problems, considering it is an industry where the hands on work is done by high school drop outs. Just wondering.
>>
>>17171419
No news agency cares about Mexicans being killed on the job
>>
>>17171419
The foreman or engineer know what the fuck is going on.
Its basically like they make plans. Then "Ok Pablo. Hammer wall. Hammer. Use nails. Wall. Si?" Kind of stuff. The US also has tons of laws, requirements and inspections. Thats why shitholes in Mexico or Peru get BTFO by any minor earthquake, cause they have little to no construction laws.
>>
>>17171448
How can the foreman effectively made sure everything is up to standard? Does he actually go and look at every little nail?

Do the workers get anything written down or is it just "okay we're making a wall now and we know how to do that"
>>
>>17171419
>it is an industry where the hands on work is done by high school drop outs
Not always, only the shittiest labor. Usually in residential this is true. In industrial / commercial / infrastructure construction (I.E. Big Fucking Business) things are rigidly structured just like you might imagine.

>How does everyone know exactly what to do, and in what order?

Engineers provide specifications of how things should be done. The boss at the contracting firm decides what order to do things in. The design engineers/ architects don't care about the methodology as long as it meets the specification.

>Is anything double checked?
Yes, government inspectors as well as engineers representing the Owner of the project will verify that the work done meets the specification laid out on the design drawings. Architecturally this isn't as feasible and requires a lot of onsite supervision.

>I don't understand how there aren't more construction accidents/problems
There are always too many accidents/problems but in residential where the high school dropouts work, there are less huge, dangerous machines and other things that can go horribly wrong.
Bigger contractors know how much it costs the company to lose time due to an accident, so they make a BIG fucking deal about safety and drill it into their employees' heads every single day, and fire workers who don't follow the rules.
>>
>>17171419
>>17171419
So, when the architect designs the building, he also designs the way in which it will be built.

Each company that's working on the job gets given drawings of the whole building, drawings of their specific part, a timescale for the whole build and a timescale for their part.

I'm a site manager for a fairly large carpentry firm in the UK. My job is to take the drawings and timescales and make sure everything happens as it should. Things like ordering materials so it's here before the blokes need it but not ordering too much in one go so that we don't fill up the entire yard leaving no room for anyone else. I make sure there's enough blokes on site, check the quality of their work, make sure they're sticking to the health and saftey policies. As far as getting the work done, I go to my site foreman (that's the job I had before this one) and say "right, I need X, Y, and Z done by the end of the week, what do you need from me?". I also have to liase with the other companies/trades to make sure that they're on schedule so my blokes can get in on time, and also make sure my blokes aren't going to hold theirs up. Most jobs have a penalty clause if you go over your projected time. One of the sites I'm running (doing three at the moment, usually it's only two though) if we go over we have to pay the client a penaly of £7,500 per day for every day we're over by - if that were to happen I'd be out of a job in short order.

As far as quality of work goes we have very strict standards enforced by my foreman and myself. Also each phase of the job has to be signed off by an independant council (local government) inspector before we can get paid for it.

As far as H&S goes we're just really tight on the rules. Everyone has to wear gloves/glasses/hard hat/hi vis vest/steel toes 100% of the time and if they don't they're out the door there and then. If I don't enforce that there's potential for me to loose my job, so I'm quite picky about it.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.