[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My sister, who is financially dependent, is mentally ill and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: hello darkness.png (179 KB, 500x279) Image search: [Google]
hello darkness.png
179 KB, 500x279
My sister, who is financially dependent, is mentally ill and violent. She is not a threat to herself, but she is a threat to my parents, who have refused to throw her out. Usually, she just hits them with the dirty end of a broom, but she just punched my mom in the ear and now she can't hear through that ear.

Is there anyone I can call to take her away for a few days? She refuses to get help.
>>
>>17169136
Adult Protective Services. They're roughly equivalent to CPS, but for elder abuse cases.
>>
>>17169147
She's not an elder or any sort of caretaker. She is a 22 year old who's almost done with college.
>>
>>17169154
Yeah, so you call the cops. Because what she did is assault.
>>
I'm pretty sure your iq is lower than 10
>>
>>17169154
>She's not an elder or any sort of caretaker.
She's not, but her parents are.
>>
>>17169160
I want her to get help, though. I don't want her to be treated as someone in control of her actions.

>>17169172
They're the ones being abused, though. My mom refuses to get my sister help because she thinks it'd make things worse. My dad (who's currently sleeping in the garage to avoid my sister) had an episode once and was in danger of hurting himself. My aunt called the cops, who tried to get him out of the house. He refused, they tazed him. So, uh, I'd rather not deal with the cops, but I can't deal with "elder abuse" either.
>>
>>17169136
A mentally ill person who is a threat to herself or others can be committed to a psychiatric facility against her will. Sometimes you have to call the cops to get that to happen (typically you would want to call 911 while your sister was in the act of assaulting someone; that way she'll be forced at least temporarily into emergency treatment and the medical professionals who arrive can serve as witnesses at her commitment hearing), some areas have mental health emergency services.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. A friend's insane brother was recently committed and it has been bad for all involved.

Found some info here: http://mentalillnesspolicy.org/coping/how-to-get-involuntary-commitment.html
>>
>>17169449
Baker act. Look into it.
>>
>>17169454
I think that only applies in Florida.
>>
>>17169587
You are correct, it is a Florida law. But several other states have similar statutes.
>>
>>17169136
Kill your bitch of a sister
>>
>>17169415
>They're the ones being abused, though.
Exactly. This is where APS comes into play. They're like CPS, except that instead of dealing with the abuse of children, they deal with the abuse of elders, which is what your sister is doing.
>>
>>17169136
You're supposed to be the man of the house and protect your parents. Stop letting them suffer. Either get the police involved or beat the fuck out of her like a man.
>>
>>17169587
>I think that only applies in Florida.
That's where the actual Baker Act was written, yes. But it was the first of its kind, and many states have developed laws modeled on it, so "Baker Act" has become a shorthand for this law and all of its descendants.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.