[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I become a good student? I barely graduated high school
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
How do I become a good student? I barely graduated high school and going to community college in the fall. I don't think I'm retarded, I just don't know how to learn.
>>
take good notes in class/actually listen to what the professor is saying (unless it's painfully fucking boring)

if you don't understand something, ASK FOR HELP. not only will asking your prof for help end up answering your questions, but it makes you look like you care, which goes miles if you need a favor later in the semester.
>>
also always do your homework. no matter what. it's fucking annoying to do, but it'll save your grade
>>
Read the assigned material, attend lectures, take decent notes, ask questions when you don't understand something, turn in assigned work on time.

Is this satire?
>>
>>17168823
>Is this satire?
I wish it were.
>>
learn a trade.
>>
>>17168732

>How do I become a good student

Try.
>>
>>17168732
>how to learn

Learning the material from a lecture doesn't just involve attending lecture. It requires you to personally engage with the material. Engaging with the material means that you're not merely exposed to the material via your readings, notes, and homework assignments. Rather, it means that you're actively thinking about every piece of information that you're given by relating it to other things that are part of your notes and asking questions about the material. You're not just memorizing facts when you actually learn something. Learning is when you're able to take those facts and understand them in light of other facts. Basically, you just have to learn to give a shit about what you're doing. When you give a shit, you'll do better. I want to say that's true of everything, but who knows. Good luck OP. You're not stupid, and you can definitely do well in community college if you try to care about what you're doing
>>
>all this "just pay attention, just take notes etc."
Fuck, when I was taking Sociology I didn't get the shit at all. Shit isn't like math where you learn how shit works together and operates, or english/writing knowing the rules and shit, or anything science-related and learning how stuff works and interacts.

Shit was all just "This is X just because. And this is Y just because." No real foundation or structure. Just a fucking book and power points of statements that fall into the category of Sociology. No rules or knowing how shit works, or actual learning so you can understand something. Weirdest fucking class I ever fucking had. College sucks.
>>
>>17168732
Pretend you're getting paid to do really well
Study subjects you have actual interest in so that the knowledge you learn stays with you
>>
Last year I transferred over to a larger, more difficult university and I am having the same issue.

I am a chemistry major when I first came here but after my first semester, my grades tanked and I don't believe I can get into medical school now.

I took ochem and physics together sprinkled in with some other classes. And I bombed both. I ended up with a C in physics and failed ochem.

I retook ochem this semester, doing all of the assignments, taking enormous amounts of notes, recording lectures, etc. And I ended up with a B minus.

I don't know what's happening with me. I used to love to learn. And now I can't focus. It's like I've lost all capability to retain information. And it gets me so incredibly frustrated. I will spend weeks studying for a test, devote hours upon hours every single day and still do mediocre if not worse on the test. I don't know what's wrong with me what the fuck
>>
You gonna need to sit your ass in class anyway, so at least do something useful with your time like listening to the freaking professor that is standing in front of you.

Sitting at the first row usually helps if you get easily bored.
>>
>>17168732
Take a few years off .
Work your ass off
Pay for college with your own money.

I guaran-fucking-tee you that you'll do better when it's your own cash on the line
>>
File: Guide to Success.jpg (708 KB, 1068x1258) Image search: [Google]
Guide to Success.jpg
708 KB, 1068x1258
You have a summer to prepare yourself to learn how to learn. This is your homework. Get the fuck off of 4chan and do this. If you can't complete this then keep working on it throughout the year. You will improve if you do all these things. Don't be a slacker. I expect an A+ if you are truly committed.

1. Do these first two in order. Do not skip this step.

>https://www.stephencovey.com/7habits/7habits.php
Read the site then read the book. I recommend pirating the audiobook read by Stephen himself. There's a link to it on /t/'s audiobook thread. Start here because this is where you will learn to be effective in not only learning but everything else too.

>http://www.amazon.com/Power-Habit-What-Life-Business/dp/081298160X
This will teach you how to ingrain daily studying into your life through habit.

2. Get bed with no lights on and no phone no later than 11 at night and wake up no later than 8 in the morning. Yes, even in the summer, faggot. Start running/lifting/swimming/biking DAILY. For at least 30 minutes. Work on this as you go on to the next steps.

3. Do this task in any order. Time to actually learn to learn now.

>http://www.amazon.com/Your-Memory-How-Works-Improve/dp/1569246297
This is a good introduction to memory and learning.

> https://www.supermemo.com/articles/devour.htm
> https://www.supermemo.com/en/articles/sleep

4. ANKI

>http://ankisrs.net/
Learn to make and use Anki flashcards. Use this daily. Incorporate it into your very being. Don't skip this step.

> https://www.supermemo.com/en/articles/20rules
Use this as a further guide on how to make flash cards.

Any questions? No? Good. Now get started.
>>
File: 26741243.jpg (104 KB, 610x728) Image search: [Google]
26741243.jpg
104 KB, 610x728
>>17169368
>>
File: 26786140.jpg (64 KB, 700x436) Image search: [Google]
26786140.jpg
64 KB, 700x436
>>17169380
>>
File: 395690.png (198 KB, 574x304) Image search: [Google]
395690.png
198 KB, 574x304
>>17169384

>>17169368
You better do all this shit. I better not have typed this out for nothing.
>>
For me personally it was a maturity issue. I had a gap year, did two years of uni starting at 19 and dropping out at 21. I was half assing my classes and either failing or getting mediocre grades because of my anxiety and reluctance to seek help. At 23 I came back to finish the last year of my 3 year degree getting no less than Distinctions because I actually gave a damn about trying my best and got a job in my field straight out of uni after graduating.

tl;dr only do uni if you intend on trying your best or you'll waste your time and money.
>>
>>17168732

When you're reading or studying, come up with questions about the material. Once you're finished reading, try and answer the questions.

Always ask for help from the teacher when you need it.
>>
File: 1395642435850.jpg (14 KB, 264x240) Image search: [Google]
1395642435850.jpg
14 KB, 264x240
>get a trade
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.