[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
meals on low budget
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 4005500077442.jpg (258 KB, 774x1000) Image search: [Google]
4005500077442.jpg
258 KB, 774x1000
anyone here has some tips for living 2-3 months without much money to spend on food?
i´m currently unemployed, we have social security but after rent, living costs and such i don´t have all too much left to spend - maybe 150-200 to "live"

ramen noodles are okay here and there but having them daily would make me sick i´m sure.
i usually have these asia noodles which i make - they taste amazing and just require water to cook
i don´t care if it´s a monotonous diet for a while as long as it stops the hunger from creeeping in and doesn´t poison my body with chemical shit
i´d also appreciate something which will make the hunger go away for lunchtime and then in the evening i eat something - but i´m not sure if this exists
bad thing also is i really need to cut back on soda and such because that´s pretty heavy on the budget - i drink a coke (can) a day and sometimes a redbull a day too so if anyone has some tricks to get off the sugar that would be great!
>>
>>>/fit/37228320

They should have more infographics about buying good stuff cheaply. Hang around there a bit.
>>
ramen's cheap but it'll make you feel like shit because it has no nutrtional value and tons of salt. it also doesn't fill you up much.

learn how to make beans yourself. they're cheap to buy in bulk and have fiber/carbs/protein. rice is all carbs but cheap as hell and is what most of the world's population eats to keep from starving. apples/bananas are cheap and will curb your sugar cravings. for cheap meat you can buy whole rotisserie chickens from most grocery stores for less than 8 bucks. if you shred them by hand you can use the meat for 3-4 days. for greens spinach is the cheapest for the nutritional density. sautee it in olive oil and put some lemon juice (fresh or bottled) on it to make it taste good. a glass of milk is will kill hunger cravings and keep you asleep at night.

mostly eat rice/beans cooked in large batches so you're not constantly cooking and supplement it with the other stuff so you still feel normal.

avoid fast food because it's engineered to make you want more and more. that's why they get away with selling it cheap.
>>
>>17166796
150-200 for 3 months? Or per month? If it's the first that's plenty. If it's the second, then I think it is still doable, but you'll have to be very very frugal.

I swear I've seen guides to cheap food on /ck/, so try posting this there or lurk there for a bit. But from what I remember, just get a big bag of raw rice and raw beans. Super cheap. Supplament it with other shit for vitimins.
>>
>>17166802
i´ll check it out - thanks man

>>17166803
yeah here and there i like some ramen but not permanent - it´s tasty and all but still i feel like eating nothing anyway

any idea what sauce fits to dry rice so it tastes like something at least?
and aren´t beans cooking for 1-3 hours or so to be really good

trying the milk trick the next time - if that helps that would be amazing

>>17166804
it´s per month, but i still have to put aside money for electricity bill from that i forgot to mention and if i need shampoo, toothpaste or housewares stuff i also need to take it from that budget
>>
>>17166796
Pretty much all carbs aren't really expensive: pasta, noodles, rice. Vegetables and fruit are generally cheap. Summer is coming so vegetables are generally cheaper. Salads, zucchini, peperoni, potatoes, onions. Beans are cheap and tasty.
Eggs are really cheap. Chicken is the least expensive kind of meat you can find and it is super versatile.

I lived on 25/30€/week for a couple of years and I had plenty of good food. Invest of spices and herbs if you want to have variety.
>>
>>17166813
wow that´s not much you lived on back then - respect dude!
problem is vegetables don´t satiate much - at least for me?

is eating scrambled eggs one time daily bad over longer period?
did you just heat up beans and tomato sauce on the stove for a while to eat it?
>>
It seems like you have to learn how to cook!

For lunch I was mostly away from home so I'd bring food from there.
I either had cold rice/pasta with veggies in it (boil the rice/pasta, cook the veggies in the pan, put rice/pasta, add a bit of oil, add spices/herbs), a big salad with chicken, bread crumbs and onions, or if I could find a good deal a sandwich with avocado, cream cheese and scrambled eggs.

When I was at home,I either made something with chicken (curry chicken, fried chicken, chicken with vegetables, etc), noodles with vegetables, beans with onions and tuna (tasty and cheap), soup with potatoes and onions, omelette with potatoes and onions (personal fav), pasta with potatoes and peas, or many other things.

I used to eat an apple or a banana to go through the day if I got hungry.
>>
>>17166818
Forgot to quote.
>>17166823

>is eating scrambled eggs one time daily bad over longer period?
I didn't eat just scrambled eggs, it's not really the healthiest thing ever but there are many things that are much worse than that.
You can eat different things

>did you just heat up beans and tomato sauce on the stove for a while to eat it?
I am allergic to tomato, so no. But I bet you can do it.
>>
>>17166811

you can soak beans in the fridge to reduce cooking time. you cook them in large batches so you have them to eat whenever.

sriracha or any hot sauce is good on rice. the tiniest bit of "hoisin sauce" (sold in the asian part of the grocery, a little goes a long way) makes rice taste good. some savages even just eat it with ketchup. salsa if you can get it cheap is the best tasting IMO and won't burn you out.
>>
>>17166823
yeah i could need some better cooking skills beyond the basics

thanks for the pasta/veggie tip i´ll try that - so basically it´s just noodles with beans, peas, green bean and some oil?
i remember i had some good spaghetti in italy they were just noodles and oil

>>17166832
can i store them in the fridge after cooking for a week or so?
i´ll try to find that sauce here, do you just mix it with water and that becomes the sauce?
>>
>>17166838

for hoisin sauce you can just throw a dab on cooked rice and mix it in. it'll make it taste like a lot of chinese dishes.
>>
>>17166838
>thanks for the pasta/veggie tip i´ll try that - so basically it´s just noodles with beans, peas, green bean and some oil?
You can use pretty much whatever kind of vegetable you want.
Carrots. Zucchini. Peas. Tomatoes. Peppers. Onions and garlic are great with pretty much everything.

>i remember i had some good spaghetti in italy they were just noodles and oil
I'm Italian, so YES, definitely.
You can make some really awesome spaghetti with oil, chilly pepper, garlic and a bit (really a bit) of bread crumbs.
I did it often when I had really no budget for the rest of the week.
That and risotto. Basically onion, butter, rice, parmesan and broth. It tastes good and makes you feel super full.
>>
>>17166859
sweet, thanks for the advice man!

buona giornata :)
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.