[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Free Time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1290291148185.jpg (63 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1290291148185.jpg
63 KB, 300x300
/adv/, I'm now a fully qualified doctor. Exciting times all round

But I've now got 2 months and 5 days until I start work. Unfortunately (for me) all my home friends have been employed for years and work standard 9-5, Mon-Fri. We might do something once during the week and thankfully the weekend is usually busy with something (summer is coming and we live near the beach). We have a one week holiday away but that still leaves just under 2 months

What the hell do I do with the rest of my time?? The gym only takes 4-5 hours a week
Will I regret buying a PS4?
>>
nope. you're a doctor yeah? don't expect your availability to ever match up with your friends. I'd rather get a top end PC since you'll be making doctor money (if you don't have a mountain of debt).
>>
>>17166724
When I'm working I completely understand my availability will rarely match with my friends... But in the meantime I'm essentially NEET

I was thinking about a top end PC, but yeah, I'm not currently earning anything, and do indeed have debts. I'm not really skint, but don't fancy blowing £1K on a PC quite yet
>>
>>17166708
I presume you're a britbong seeing as you're starting in August.

Make the fucking most of it while it lasts. FY1 is shit. You're treated like shit and you're paid like shit.

sauce: current FY1
>>
>>17166742
Indeed

But that's my issue... Not knowing how to make the most of it when everyone else is in work 9-5 five days a week
>>
>>17166746
Have a wank. Drink a cup of tea. Stand outside in the rain and contemplate the futility of life. Have another wank. Go look at some trees. Enjoy the sun when it's out, you wont be seeing it for a while.

What foundation school will you be at?
>>
File: w.jpg (7 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
w.jpg
7 KB, 183x275
>>17166753
Team Wessex
>>
>>17166753
But yes, sounds like a plan

Any tips for F1?
I'm pretty good at not letting myself get pushed around
>>
>>17166762
Have they told you what your salary will be yet? The new contract is fucked, and you dudes are even more fucked if you don't get pay protection
>>
>>17166766
Na, they're aiming to tell us in ~2 weeks

The hospital I'm going to banded everyone at 1.5 all year... Shame that won't apply to me

I've worked it out to be £29-33K though... Depending on how many weekends they work me. And that was before the BMA agreed on this other one (which should be slightly better)
>>
>>17166765
Just know your A to E assessment. Know what a sick patient looks like and when you need to call for help.

Be organised as fuck and keep an up to date and organised list.

The most common procedures you will be doing are bloods, cannulas, gasses and catheters. You don't really get good until you're doing it daily.

Do ALS as soon as you can if you haven't already. It's a very good course.
>>
>>17166766
>>17166770
I don't see how it's changed that much though

Even at 1.5x banding all year on the old contract, I'd only be on 33K
>>
>>17166772
Sounds good - cheers

I did over 100 ABGs on my resp rotation a few months ago. I'm throwing those fuckers in like darts from the end of the bed now
>>
>>17166773
The new pay system is so fucking convoluted and ambiguous, I don't think anyone really knows how much they will be paid.

This year I was on a 1A, 1B and unbanded and my salary was probably around £28000 pre-tax.
>>
>>17166779
Yeah, that's what I initially expected

But now it's £27,000 basic, assuming 40 hours per week. Every hour extra is 1/40 your weekly wage. Assuming 44 'official' hours per week, that's roughly £30,000

And there was some extra small pay for occasional weekends etc
>>
Medicfag here laughing about you bragging about doing ABG's. Nigga that is a basic nurse function, git gud. But seriously, the reason I came in this thread is:

I want to start down the Pre-med path with my GI Bill. But all the doctors I know are old as fuck and are kinda out of touch with the current generation of Med Students. How can I increase my likelihood of getting into top-tier med school? I'm thinking top 10 like JH or Harvard level stuff. And if those don't work out, at least a middle-of-the-road med school. Does the location of my undergrad matter much, or is it all about MCAT and GPA?
>>
>>17166886
You see, britbong hospitals love wasting doctors time by having them do the majority of blood taking, placing IV lines and various other simple tasks a monkey could do. :(
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.