[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Worth Applying?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: uofh.jpg (4 MB, 3008x1960) Image search: [Google]
uofh.jpg
4 MB, 3008x1960
Hey /adv/,
I was wondering if anyone knew if it would be worth applying to a state school (specifically pic related, but any general advice appreciated) in my position.
Had a pretty damn low GPA (2.1) because I tried to kill myself a lot in high school, but scored a cumulative 30 on the ACT test.
Do colleges care about those stories and stuff, or do they only look at the numbers? Should I bother applying to any school at all, or should I just go to a community college and give up?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>17166421
There's nothing wrong with proving yourself at community college first. It's cheaper anyways. As long as you make sure your credits will transfer, anyway
>>
>>17166425
I guess, I just want to get out and about asap. I'm finally done with high school, and I'm antsy I guess.
Maybe I'll think a bit more about community college. It just seems like such a waste of time to me.
>>
>>17166421
General rule of thumb:

The first string state university "University of Blank") takes from the top 33% of high school grads.

The second string school ("Blank State U") takes from the top 50%

The third string ("Geographical Direction Blank University" or "Blank University at City") consider any high school grads.

Special situations, like your story, can lead them to dip below their usual lower limit.
>>
>>17166427

Sup turd. It sucks you believed the hype about community college. I dropped out of High School (it was useless, lame) went to a community college and then transferred to a top university.

Think community college is a waste of time? You'll end up in a far better school if you go to a CC and do well than out of highschool. Look at any top university. The acceptance rates out of a CC are always higher than out of high school.

Also, you'll be wasting far less money because you'll be A) finding out what you want to actually spend money on to study when you get to real UNI and B) if you aren't made for academics you won't come out with crippling student loans if you drop out.

All your peers in HS will make you feel like the ultimate loser if you go to a CC, but going to a CC before Uni was the smartest thing I ever did. I entered with two AAs and did well because I was a student who knew how to self-motivate in an environment where people tend to fuck around and do nothing. I ended up transferring with a couple other people from my CC and we all did better than the fucking golden children who got in with 4.5 GPAs.
>>
There is nothing wrong with applying as long as you are aware that it is highly likely for you to be rejected. University admissions office wise, one more or one less applicant to accept or reject is hardly a blip in their workload, and it's not like they sit there and go OH YOU'RE THE CANDIDATE WE REJECTED X YEARS AGO. I HATE YOU.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.