[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>23 year old gril >Dating (dated) 31 year old man for 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
>23 year old gril
>Dating (dated) 31 year old man for 2 months
>Broke up 3 days ago

>Get drunk 1-2 days a week
>Will have a beer or two a few other times a week
>Guy doesn't drink much
>Says he doesn't trust drugs and alcohol
>Says he's been cheated on in the past
>Asked me to cut back drinking to one day a week
>Broke up with me when I refused

I'm not really sure what to do, I don't really feel like I should give up having fun when I'm at a time in my life where I have so much going on and few responsibilities. I care about this guy a lot but don't feel like he should be trying to control me and I haven't done anything wrong for him not to trust me.

Anyone been in my position? Advice?
>>
>>17166099
Why you dranking so much?
>>
You ever consider that maybe he's not trying to be controlling - you two are just incompatible?

He's not only at a different stage in his life (quite the age gap), he wants a different lifestyle altogether. If it's only been a couple months with him, as you said, I would let it go.
>>
>>17166103
I like beer - it's not like I'm getting trashed more than once or twice a week
>>
He's been cheated on before. He's pushing that age where his hair is starting to thin and he's realizing that whatever job he's in right now is probably going to be his lifelong career.

So tldr: he's nervous as fuck.

If you care about him, you'll cater to his request.

Then again, you've only been dating for 2 months, so who really gives a fuck, you don't know each other that well.
>>
>>17166114
What's your beer of choice?
>>
why be with someone who you have such a fundamental disagreement with? honestly it was only starting with 1 day a week and he'd probably cut you off completely when he thought he had you good and trapped. just be glad you're out of a relationship with someone who obviously doesnt work with you
>>
>>17166121
Craft IPAs
>>
>>17166127
Gross.

No wonder he wants you to slow down: your breath is probably perpetually assy.
>>
>>17166113
>You ever consider that maybe he's not trying to be controlling - you two are just incompatible?

That's what he said - that if I couldn't come to a comprise then we aren't compatible, but he's a good catch other wise which makes it hard I just can't help but feel like he's trying to control me.
>>
>>17166148
So you like him for all of the qualities that make him a "good catch," but he's unfair and controlling about something that sounds really important to him? I don't think he's controlling, I think he's just older, more experienced, knows what he wants, and sets expectations. Again, this isn't like you've been with him for years and are suddenly developing the habit. This is a problem from the start.

There are plenty of other fish in the sea, and many of them will be good catches as well.
>>
>>17166099
what's up with all these low effort troll threads?
>>
>>17166181
>what's up with all these low effort troll threads?

What makes you think this is a troll thread?
>>
>>17166099
(31/2)+7=22.5

Girl you're just barely over the acceptable limit, that's dangerous territory. I recommend you find someone who has similar values that isn't going to judge you and make you feel like shit for doing what you want. Remember, if you ever have doubts or questions on a relationship, don't forget there are always other guys out there that you may be more compatible with. Don't feel like you have to compromise.
>>
>>17166188
It's the same guy.

We caught onto him a few weeks ago and he scaled back but now he thinks we forgot about him lol
>>
>>17166245
>It's the same guy.
>We caught onto him a few weeks ago and he scaled back but now he thinks we forgot about him lol

You are retarded
>>
OP I kind feel like you angry that he left you.
Are you angry and thinking something like, if he just realized I just like getting drunk everything would be alright?
>>
>>17166099
>>Get drunk 1-2 days a week
>>Will have a beer or two a few other times a week

You are an alcoholic.
Whether or not you do what this guy wants, think about that.
>>
>having certain requirements for a serious relationship is being """""controlling"""""

go play in traffic, OP.
>>
>>17166626
She is not an alcoholic. Nothing she has said indicates that she uses alcohol as a crutch or form of self-medication, and when she said that she wants to keep drinking, it was the guy who got angry and broke up with her, not the other way around.
>>
File: 1462315541000.jpg (38 KB, 613x533) Image search: [Google]
1462315541000.jpg
38 KB, 613x533
>>17166099
Woah you might wanna put the brakes on bitch mode. He is worried about you, but if you dumped him for that then he definitely deserves better than your sorry drunk ass
>>
>>17166639
It IS controlling. Wanting to have dates where they aren't getting drunk is one thing. Saying flat out that she has to quit drinking while she dates him - i.e. making her change her lifestyle and behaviour even when he is not around - is controlling.
>>
>>17166644
But OP's wanted her to cut down on drinking to once a week.
And if you have such weak examples to what qualifies as controlling, living in a relationship is a constant struggle over control. Compromises are fucking everywhere. If i have to "change my lifestyle" of not wearing any pants while at home, I wouldn't call that controlling.
>>
I don't understand the relation between cheating and relaxing.

End of the day you're young and you weren't in the relationship for very long do whatever. Maybe you shoulda compromised but it sound more like he's try to enforce his own views on you
>>
>>17166099
He sounds like a little boring pussy lol
>>
>>17166626
You're fucking retarded. Bring an alcoholic is drinking constantly. 1-2 days is nothing lol.
>>
>>17166678
>I don't understand the relation between cheating and relaxing.

People are way more likely to cheat when they drink, man.
>>
>>17166644
People are allowed to set their own expectations in relationships. If they don't want to be with someone who spends their time drinking alcohol, they are very much entitled to do so. He mentioned his cut off line, she wasn't interested, he broke up. End of story. Saying he's too controlling sounds very bitter. The guy went about it perfectly. Funnily enough it only ever seems to be women that utter the controlling card, usually because they can't get their own way with some boyfriends. A truly controlling personality would flat out tell her she's not going to be drinking any more than one day a week and end up pouring out the drink/taking it away if she does. They don't ask and break up.
>>
>>17166733
Not everyone wants to put up with that in their 30+

>I slowed down to drinking every few months when I turned 27 or 28
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.