[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/, I've been working as a Bartender in a shithole
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: streetview.jpg (48 KB, 623x414) Image search: [Google]
streetview.jpg
48 KB, 623x414
Hey /adv/,

I've been working as a Bartender in a shithole town for the past two years. Recently got a 200k inheritance. I know for sure I want to move to a big city and go to college, but I can't decide where.

I need a place where I can meet a lot of women, make friends and where there's a good level of friendliness.

I've narrowed it down to Austin, Portland or New Orleans. I'm 25 and relatively good looking. Which one would you pick?

Pic kind of related
>>
>>17165326
Go visit all 3 cities if you can
>>
>>17165333

I went to Portland. It was rainy and there seemed to be a lot of guys who browsed Reddit.

New Orleans was awesome, the women there are aggressive and its refreshing but after being there for a few weeks I realized how small it was. Everyone knew everyone. Also, lots of black people (not that I'm racist but it isn't exactly the best thing to live around)

Haven't been to Austin yet.
>>
>Austin
full of hipsters and stupid white people into eastern things like yoga and shit who are really just posers, everything is expensive as fuck
>Oregon
also full of hipsters who are pretentious as fuck and everything is stupidly PC, everything is also expensive as fuck
>New Orleans
full of niggers but no hipsters and has good food, cheapest of your 3 options, might get hit with a hurricane

I've never been to Oregon but I've been to New Orleans a few times and Austin unfortunately too many times to count and I hate it every time. I'd go with New Orleans. Yeah I'm a little biased against Oregon and Austin, and indifferent about New Orleans really but bottom line is cost of living is the cheapest there. Shit is getting really expensive in Austin and Oregon.
>>
>>17165326
Go to college first. It's crazy to try and lay roots in a place that you might not get a career job in when you graduate. Pick the city that has a school you can get into, can afford, and offers the degree that you want. Get in to the school, THEN find an apartment or share place with someone. After you graduate and start looking for big kid career jobs, that's when you start taking things seriously in terms of long term happiness in your environment. 'Cause there's a real good chance you won't get a job in the city you always wanted.
>>
>>17165326
What about Chicago? I live here and it seems to satisfy all of your requirements
>>
>>17165403

I do plan on going to college and the COL is what bugs me most about Austin/PDX

>>17165418

Ive considered it there too. Never been. Seems cold as fuck though.
>>
Save the money.

Find the school you want ( make it a state school)

Move to the city of the school. Work as a bartender. And establish residency while taking. Gen ed classes at local community college.

Once you have state residency requirement for the university met.
And assuming you did well at the Community college.
Enrole in the university.

Your gen ed will be done. You can be out of uni in 2 maybe 2.5 years.

Pay cash.

Have no debt. When you finish.

Get a good job.

Move to new city.

(keep the money saved) and save 25% of your take home pay. From your new job.

After 3 years in the new city with your new job. If you like the place. Buy a house using most ( not all, use 75% max) of the saved money you have.

Be no debt. ( maybe a small mortgage)
Have job
Have savings

Start putting 25% of income into market and retirement

Win the game.
>>
>>17165438
That's good, but you need to figure out college goals first. You need to know what degree you want, and if it's available in your chosen cities. And if it is available, what schools can you get into? Which can you afford?

It's a bad idea to pick a city, move, then pursue college, because you may have picked the wrong city for your career ambitions. For example, I had to move to a less than desirable city because the college I wanted to go to was the only one that offered the degree I wanted.

So get your long term goals figured out first, then narrow that down to those 3 cities. Pick the one that will best allow you to achieve that long term goal.
>>
For the love of god . do not do something stupid like quit your job or buy a new car.

That is the shit poor people do and thats why they stay poor.

200K could change your life.

Do this >>17165448
>>
>>17165448
Please follow this man win at life.

Honestly though don't pick a dumb major

No arts no English not business no history no biology.

You'll be assured a job.

Then if you don't like it start looking into business opportunities that Involve your career or not.
>>
Austin not a bad pick, but its still in texas. I'd pass.

New Orleans, stay the fuck out of new orleans.

Portland is great choice, id also suggest san diego.
>>
>>17165418
>>17165438
Yeah Chicago the highest death rate in the US and full of gangs, please move there
>>
Are there really vampires in New Orleans?
>>
>>17165500
Not it doesn't have the highest death rate. You really don't have to worry about violence unless you are in a gang yourself. I've lived in the city for 15 years and it isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It does get really cold though, and if you can't handle that then we don't want you here anyways
>>
>>17165512

Witches, not vampires
>>
OP here,

You guys are doling out great advice. As a bartender, I'm surrounded by a lot of the "live in the moment/party all the time" sort of people and I think it's kind of rubbed off on me. I need to set some long term goals and think about the future.

Going to a state college would be okay, but I live in Kansas. So I really would like to just get the fuck out of here, even if I have to take a year off and just work as a Bartender in a new city while saving.

I'm not a spendy person and never have been so I'm not gonna blow through it, but I'll look into what college degrees I'd be interested in pursuing.
>>
>>17165564
Go to ku. It is a really good school. And lawrance is a great college town.

Else goto colorado or missouri. You may like kansas city. And both state are part of the midwest exchange ( in state or near instate tuition for citizens of near by states)

All cities are the same. They are what you make of them.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.