[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how long until you stop being suicidal on anti depressants
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
So how long until you stop being suicidal on anti depressants and mood stabilizers? I keep getting told I have to give it time but it´s been a year already
>>
That's too long, should talk to them about changing meds
>>
Whoa. I'd say 1-3 months. Get thee back to the dr.
>>
>>17163733
>>17163738
Felt more numb at the beginning but these last few months I can´t stop dreaming and wanting suicide

He just tells me there´s nothing else he can prescribe besides Lexapro (escitalopram) and Tegretol (carbamazepine). Is he bullshitting me?
Won't even up the dose
>>
More input needed Anon.

SSRIs? Benzo?

The thing with antidepressants is that some of them will work for individuals, while others wont. It requires time. Sometimes you even have to change to other antidepressants, depending on the effects and sideeffects.

Just dont put everything on antidepressants, there is no 'dont be sad'-pill that works from day one.
>>
>>17163764
SSRI as far as I know.10 mg the dosage. I take a benzo as well but not sure about its effects besides sleepiness.

I think it did work sort of until it stopped half a year ago. But now he just says that we have to stick with this and wait (+ therapy) but oh man there are days when I lose my patience and stop taking it (then regret it and take it again).

How can I convince my doc to try out other meds 'i've nothing else to give you' like really
>>
>Disclaimer: Wall of text, dont take this as a medical guideline as I am no doctor

If you are really on the edge of suicide and constantly thinking about it your therapist/doctor will be carful with meds. I think you are on an SSRI that has chilling effects, to prevent you from doing anything stupid.

The 'problem' with SSRI's is, that some of will raise your level of activity and give you the feeling of willpower, which could lead into actually trying to kill yourself.

So first of all. your doctor is trying to figure out the best way to get you back in track. If he is careful with SSRIs and Benzos, that doesnt have to be a bad thing.

On the other hand, SSRI's should have an effect after some weeks/month. It usually takes from 3 weeks up to 3 month. (In MY experience and others i have talked to. Please dont take this as an medical statement)

First you should talk to your therapist and tell him that the SSRI'S have no effects on you. Tell him you want to tried it without any SSRI's and keep reporting to him if anything changes. Thats really important, dont to anything stupid.

If you dont believe your doctor/therapist about your medication. Tell him.

Next step is convincing him that there are other SSRI's that might work four you. Do some research on your own, talk to him about other antidepressants. You both will eventually find a antidepressant that works better for you.

And last but not least: Be active, be social. As hard as it might seem to be. Antidepressants will help you on your way, but they are not the solution to your problems. Keep that in mind anon.

Be strong.
>>
>>17163803
But you´re right, anon. It is like you said.

Should the fact that the level of activity has decreased greatly and the need to self-harm has replaced it mean that the SSRI has stopped working? In the sense that has it stopped being beneficial, otherwise I can tell it is still affecting me - lack of motivation, focus, libido and bad withdrawal symptoms after only one day of not taking it

Am I in the wrong here for wanting something else or even the same med, just at a higher dose so that its 'good old effects' kick in again?
>>
>>17163823

So you want to be more active again? Thats great!

>Should the fact that the level of activity has decreased greatly and the need to self-harm has replaced it mean that the SSRI has stopped working?

That is something nobody can tell you without knowing your whole medical background and history. Maybe something traumatic happened? Try to figure it out by yourself, try to remember how this happened and look for hints.

This is nothing that some Adv/Anon can tell you.

> otherwise I can tell it is still affecting me - lack of motivation, focus, libido and bad withdrawal symptoms after only one day of not taking it

> otherwise I can tell it is still affecting me - lack of motivation, focus, libido and bad withdrawal symptoms after only one day of not taking it

Again, I experienced something similar. I did not take my SSRI's for 1 or 2 days and felt like my motivation dropped. But it was not the SSRI's, it was myself. I started worrying about the meds, about not having a relationship, lack of motivation etc.

As soon as I managed to break this circle for just once ( and even it was just taking a walk outside) I would somehow know that this is nothing to blame on the SSRI's.

You should also write down the experience you make after not taking your med. Discuss the results with your doc. Not here.

> Am I in the wrong here for wanting something else or even the same med, just at a higher dose so that its 'good old effects' kick in again?

No. If you want to be more active again or active in general, thats a good thing. Keep this in mind.

Maybe it is time to higher the dose or just time for a different SSRI. That is something you have to try.
Again, I just can recommend you to listen to your therapist. No random Anon should give you advice on lower/higher dose or what kind of SSRI you should take. Listen to your own needs and your therapist.
>>
>>17163730
>I keep getting told I have to give it time but it´s been a year already
How many different medications have you tried, and how many times has the dosage changed? It is true that most antidepressants need a little while to build up in your system, but "a little while" is a month, not a whole year. If they're still not working, you change the dosage or the whole medication.

If your doc has been telling you "give it time" on the same drug and dose for a whole year, fire your doc. That's just wrong, man.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.