[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /adv/ help me settle an argument with a flatmate. Flatmate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: funny disposal.gif (2 MB, 495x288) Image search: [Google]
funny disposal.gif
2 MB, 495x288
Alright /adv/ help me settle an argument with a flatmate.

Flatmate 1 goes to kitchen and turns on disposal to find there was silverware inside and gets mad at flatmate 2 for not checking to make sure nothing was inside last time they handles dishes in the sink. Flatmate 2 insists that flatmate 1 was responsible for checking the garbage disposal before turning it on despite flatmate 1 having already done so the last time THEY handles dishes in the sink the day before.

Who is in the wrong for messing up the disposal and needs to pay for it.
>>
>>17163265
Both of them.
Compromise and split the costs.
>>
>>17163265
Are you flatmate 1 or 2?

Both should check, thus both should pay for it, or flip a coin
>>
Whoever turned it on should have checked that it was clear prior to hitting the switch. While it would be nice for everyone to make sure nothing goes into it every time the sink is used, it's the moment the disposal is turned on that responsibility is taken by the person who turned it on.
>>
>>17163277
We're both watching the thread, and we tried to keep the OP post unbiased.
>>
>>17163265
Flatmate 1 is the one who bears the responsibility.

You always check for silverware with things like that before you start it up because of that exact reason.

>but roommate 2 should have checked when they handled the dishes
They should have, but that doesn't mean they will.
>>
>>17163280
Just to add to this, what exactly are the argument that both flatmates are able to use to defend their positions?
Flatmate 2: "I shouldn't be responsible because people who turn on the disposal should check it before they use it"
Flatmate 1: "I shouldn't be responsible because I shouldn't have to check a disposal before turning it on. All the people who use the sink before me are responsible for keeping it clear so that I have the benefit of blindly turning it on"

When you look at it this way, who sounds more reasonable?
>>
>>17163310
We're each going to type our own argument:

Flatmate 1's argument:
>Whoever used or operated anything in the house should check to make sure its still in proper working order and cleaned up/checked for safety so the next person doesn't have to the same way they wouldn't if they were living by themselves.

Flatmate 2's argument:
>Both flatmates have placed dishes in the sink since dishes were washed yesterday afternoon. Naturally anything could have accidentally ended up in the disposal since then, since it's a big hole in the sink. Flatmate 2 believes since you never know what could end up in the disposal even if everyone is careful, you should always check before turning it on.
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 600x195) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 600x195
Both have partial fault, both pay.
>>
>>17163310
>When you look at it this way, who sounds more reasonable?

This is flatmate 1

What if flatmate 1 has NEVER EVER EVER forgetting stuff in the disposal for flatmate 2 to deal with, and has ALWAYS made sure to check and fich out any silverware after handling dishes. Why does flatmate 2 get a pass when flatmate 1 goes through the effort that flatmate 2 didnt do?

Flatmate 2 would like to add that they don't understand why they just don't place dishes in the right side of the sink, to keep the disposal sink clear.
>>
>>17163340
Flatmate 2's argument of "anything could have gotten in there" is irrelevant. It doesn't need to enter the equation. What it comes down to is whoever pulls the trigger gets the blame for the crime, doesn't matter who loaded the gun.

When the police come and find the dead body, who's the guy who's getting arrested? The guy who pulled the trigger because he thought it was unloaded and forgot to check, or the guy who loaded the gun a few days ago and forgot to unload it?
>>
>>17163363
>Flatmate 2 would like to add that they don't understand why they just don't place dishes in the right side of the sink, to keep the disposal sink clear.
You're right, why don't they? But this is something to do moving forward.
>>
>>17163363
>What if flatmate 1 has NEVER EVER EVER forgetting stuff in the disposal for flatmate 2 to deal with, and has ALWAYS made sure to check and fich out any silverware after handling dishes. Why does flatmate 2 get a pass when flatmate 1 goes through the effort that flatmate 2 didnt do?
Maybe you're just a better flatmate than flatmate 2 is. Nobody is getting a pass here. You're putting in more effort because you choose to.
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 600x189) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 600x189
>>17163367
>>17163363
I see it like this. Think of it like a car crash.

Car one is driving along and not paying attention, he is thinking of something or another and runs into the back of car 2, which stopped in the middle of the road a ways up for no reason at all. Car 2 is at fault for stopping for no reason (think of it hypothetically, obviously there'd be a reason other than accidentally stopping..) and car 1 is at fault for not paying enough attention to stop or switch lanes in time, assuming he had enough time to.

Both pay. If you want to think of it like insurance, figure out who gets what percentage. In my opinion, it should be like 60/40 (FM 1/FM 2)
>>
>>17163369
>You're right, why don't they?

Flatmate 1:
>We have a very tiny sink that fills up quickly, so unless dishes are done more regularly the only other place to put the dishes would be the counters.

Flatmate 2:
>Flatmate 1 hates to do dishes, and flatmate 2 is usually the one doing them (because flatmate 1 blames flatmate 2 for using them all, even when flatmate 2 points to the ones that flatmate 1 uses) Flatmate 2 is considering buying different colored dishes.
>>
>>17163388
Lads, now you're just arguing house rules and living habits. If you want to split the cost for the disposal, it can be done 25/75, Flatmate 2/1. Obviously I can't make you do anything, but it seems like I'm the only one still contributing advice here and this is just how I see it. If you want more opinions, wait a while and continue bumping.
>>
Split the cost you fat nerds
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.