[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished 5 cycles of chemotherapy and in few weeks i'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: 1445604642212.jpg (102 KB, 500x555) Image search: [Google]
1445604642212.jpg
102 KB, 500x555
I just finished 5 cycles of chemotherapy and in few weeks i'm going to start radiotherapy (26 an with cancer is quite fucked up isn't it?), I'm devastated both mentally and physically. Any suggestion on what to do to recover some energy? Doctor suggested a prevalently vegetarian diet. Anything else? A bit of work out maybe?
Also: is radiotherapy a pain in the ass as well?
>>
Fuck cancer that's all.
>>
I found my mood/energy increased dramatically when I worked out regularly.

Good luck anon cancer is a cunt
>>
>>17160592
Fuck anon, I'm sorry :( what kind of cancer do you have? Juicing is supposed to be good.
>>
>>17160637
Thyroid cancer.
I look like shit mate. I went from relatively attractive guy to holocaust victim tier. I'm even afraid to be seen by my gf... this sucks.
>>
>>17160646
I'm rooting for you, OP <3
>>
Anyone here knows something about radiotherapy? Is it as hard as chemo?
>>
>>17160592
Hey, OP, sorry for what you're going through. I did some chemo too and it sucks dicks.

I switched to vegetarian diet because the smell of fat made me vomit. It got my stomach less upset.
But the first burger I ate after chemo made me almost horny, lol.

Talk to your girlfriend. Spend time with people you love. They're worried about you, and they're going to give you all the energy and the affection you need.
If you feel devastated mentally, look for a cancer support group or psychotherapy.
Try to spend time outside (... not right after radiotherapy) and do things you love doing.

Don't let your illness define you. You're not just a cancer patient.

Keep going OP, we're all here for you.
>>
Radiation itself does not hurt.
Alpha radiation will most likely be used. That type of radiation can easily be confined to the tumor. So there won't be a radiation sickness.
Chemo can't be confined.
>>
>>17160592
It is hell, but consider the alternagtive.

The hospital should be able to put you in contact with a support group of other people in treatment. Just being able to talk to someone who knows what you're talking about helps a lot.
>>
File: CY4RnJnUoAAwoRX.jpg (171 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
CY4RnJnUoAAwoRX.jpg
171 KB, 600x900
Hey buddy,

I usually only lurk but this one hits close to home - I'm 21 and went through five months of chemo and one month of radiotherapy when I was 19/20. Hodgkin's Lymphoma 2B - I got lucky.

Honestly, I want to say that things get so much better - and generally they do. My hair grew back way nicer. You'll be a much stronger person after your experiences.

but I'm honestly incredibly broken. My girlfriend of two years left shortly before my treatment finished, as she fell out of love with me because of the person I became during chemotherapy. I mean, I was eating a tub of ice cream a day, vomiting almost all the time, coming home late drunk, basically a whole lot of self-destructive stuff. That only got worse after she left, and lately it's only just starting to get better. I've found a good antidepressant, have done plenty of counselling, etc. Going in next week for an assessment because a few doctors and my psych think I might be mildly bipolar - something that I've considered since I was really young. Having that diagnosis, along with my cancer one... I dunno, it's nice, you have something to blame and something to kill/fix, you know? Just don't let it take you with you.

Weed helps SO much during chemo, but don't abuse the shit out of it like I did; for the past half a year I've spent almost all of my time stoned, and even if I honestly believe it's improved my quality of life tenfold it's definitely something I think I took too far. Most of the time I was too sick to even move out of bed to smoke during chemo, but when I did it would be way better than any anti-nausea drug. Helped so much with eating too.

But you're done with chemo, hey? Sorry, I'm getting carried away ranting.
>>
>>17160646
>he has a gf and he still fucking complains
Fuck you OP.
>>
>>17160974
Don't stress too much about rads. It's daunting as shit, I had a massive facemask strapping me down to the table etc, but it was painless and I felt no side-effects besides feeling abnormally tired, but nothing unusual there.

I dunno, man. I'm still living with it every day, but we get through those things. I'm still sick almost every day, but lately I'm thinking that's more my own mental state holding me down. Working on it.

Things definitely get better. It just takes time.

Feel free to ask away if you need, I'll hang around for a bit.

All the best, anon.
>>
Oh, and I lost all my acne and my beard went from patchy to full and glorious. That's kinda cool.

Plus, you get to play the cancer card... as macabre as it is, it's saved my ass and gotten me laid and gotten me plenty of free things and all that. I don't talk about it too often, and honestly neither should you - it's not something to flaunt, because sadly it happens too often and the people hurting the least are usually the ones that show off, but you're definitely allowed to be proud of yourself. It's so character-building.
>>
>>17160646
Don't be afraid of that, it's times like this that help us discover important things about those closest to us.

Make sure to eat as much as you can and take your supplements: doctors often help with this. If they don't, weed does if you're into that.
Probably can't stomach protein powder or mixed shakes right now (shit's awful on a good day imho, don't know how some people can chug down that "cookies-and-cream" bullshit), but if you can and the docs don't tell you not to, go for it. Helps you feel stronger, like you're doing something at least instead of wasting away.

>>17160637
>Juicing is supposed to be good.
Generally a bad idea. Some SARMs were trialled for this iirc but failed because even they all had far-too-severe side effects.
Unless you were on gear for a while before the cancer hit, i'd suggest staying off during the treatment.
And now i just realized you might have meant the kind of juicing you do with a blender.

Good luck, OP.
>>
>>17161109
I meant literally just juicing fruits and vegetables with a juicer
>>
File: tumblr_nfoa1kvwSg1sq83apo1_1280.jpg (128 KB, 580x580) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nfoa1kvwSg1sq83apo1_1280.jpg
128 KB, 580x580
>>17161109
My most regular doctor mentioned that people would try and push healthy eating and staying away from certain foods and getting exercise and all that, but said that for people like myself and OP who are thankfully young and hopefully react really well to the treatment like I did... basically just do whatever keeps you most content, because chemo is hell. Eat whatever you feel like, because you're still going to be sick regardless - the meds are there to feel better, you've just gotta care for yourself and your mental health for the time until chemo's done. I think for older people with more fragile bodies they have to worry a bit more, but generally young people get through most types of chemo okay.

There's that many types of chemo and cancer out there though, so I still feel weird speaking on it even after going through it; especially with how low of a chance of anything going wrong I had. I dunno. Chemo and everything that goes with it is one of the worst things I've ever been through, but you're right - we learn very important things about the people around us, and also ourselves. I don't think I'd be anything like the person I am today if I didn't get sick, and even if I'm broken and all over the place most of the time, I'm proud of the person I am and the things I've had to deal with.

Anyway, that's enough blogging for me for the night. I wish you all the best, OP.
>>
File: sky limits.jpg (86 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
sky limits.jpg
86 KB, 1200x1200
>>17161157
the meds are there to make you better.*

I had nothing but a bad time with all the anti-nausea stuff they gave me. Halfway through my treatment I pretty much just ditched the ones they gave me after trying a few different ones and relied on sleeping lots and smoking weed before eating. Everyone's different - but OP's through chemo, hopefully that's his hard yards done!
>>
>>17160592

Good luck OP! My brother beat it (and he's a huge fag :P), so I'm sure you can.
>>
File: 1445597723538.jpg (33 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1445597723538.jpg
33 KB, 500x500
>>17160974
I'm OP, unfortunately for me my cancer was in metastasis, so once I'm done with radio I'll have to go through surgery and then some hormone therapy, so i'm not even at half of my battle.
It feels bad because I feel like I do not deserve this, I've always tried to be a good, supportive and altruist person and I always tried to keep a healthy and sober lifestyle but hey, cancer doesn't give a shit about who you are I guess, still I wonder why some of the shittiest and malevolent people on earth happily die at old age. Bah, just my random ranting and baby philosophy...

In any case I wish you all the best for your future. And congratulation for winning your battle..
>>
Smoke sativa, it will ease the pain and depending on the strain you can feel a great boost in energy and happiness. However don't rely on this substance, it is important to have a sober mind, especially in this time of your life.
>>
>>17160592

My mother has triple negative breast cancer, and she said that radiation was a walk in a park compared to chemo... definitely don't get as sick, and it was showing when she was going through it. When she'd come home from chemo, she'd be lethargic, and hunched over, but after radiation she came home and you could barely tell anything happened. Good luck man.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.