[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do i not quit life anons? i graduated with my degree and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 564x597) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 564x597
how do i not quit life anons?

i graduated with my degree and it's been about 5 months and i haven't found a job. i applied to dozens of places but i go through phases of utter hopelessness and aimlessness. im still a man child who hasn't held more than a couple of jobs and live at home with my parents. I have no hobbies or life because no money.

I can't fucking find a job and it's taking its toll on my self esteem. I haven't sent in a single application in over a month.

I've lost the motivation to do anything except vidya eat stay up all night. I feel ashamed for my joblessness and like I've failed at life.

How do I find the motivation to continue applying for jobs?
>>
Either you keep looking for work or you stay in your little bubble of miserable self-commiseration, doesn't look like a big dilemma to me chumpo.
>>
>>17160561
Omg justin bieber :3
>>
Id recommend getting daily routines, like doing your own laundry every sunday or cook food on fridays. Just to keep your mind busy ahead and planning stuff.

Also try out all sorts of new hobbies. Try picking up the guitarr even though you know that you'd suck at it, or maybe a sport like basketball

Youre life isnt over anon just because you got declined a couple of jobs. You only have one life and you're going to live it until youre atleast 60+

Motivation is really important and if you cant make your own life good then you can try to make other peoples lives good
>>
>>17160561
As time goes on you're just gonna have to get less and less picky with what you're applying for
>>
Here's some tips:

1 - Treat looking for a job like it is a job. Up early, view job listings, look at what's happening in your field, see what companies are expanding and look at those companies for hidden jobs (on their site but not yet posted elsewhere).

2 - Schedule interviews with headhunters. Most jobs aren't found via headhunters but they are good interview practice and you can get a free resume review out of them.

3 - The old rule used to be 100 resumes sent would get you 10 interviews which would get you a job. If you've sent "dozens", you're behind the curve.

4 - Don't wait for companies to call you back. Pursue them.

5 - Most jobs are gotten through connections. Talk to friends and family to find openings.

6 - Go to your school career center. You paid tuition and part of the deal is that they should help you find a job. They don't want people saying "I graduated from X university and can't find a job." If nothing else, they can give you tips on resume and interviewing.

7 - Along with getting resume tips above, look at job sites such as monster and look at some of the forums regarding how to answer questions, more resume and interview tips.

8 - Outside the job hunt, exercise, eat right, get sleep.
>>
While you're waiting for the right job, go get a random low wage job

It's still more money than no job.
>>
Existing advice is good. Here's some more:

1) Pick up something part-time, unskilled, high-churn, outside your field. This gets you a bit of an income, but more to the point, it is something to do. Even if the job sucks, this will still help stave off depression.

- Part-time, so that you still have time to hunt for your "real" job.
- High-churn (i.e. most people don't work there very long), because they understand these things. You don't burn bridges so badly if you resign after three weeks to start the new job you snagged shortly after signing on.
- Unskilled, so you can pick it up quickly without devoting extra time outside work. Yes, this may mean fast food or barista duty. Do it anyway.
- Outside your field, because you graduated college. It is unlikely that jobs meeting the above requirements exist in your field. You cannot let that stop you.

2) Job fairs. Find them, brush up on your soft skillz, and blitz the fuck out of them. Connections matter, and although meeting a recruiter at a job fair could well be the faintest kind of connection there is, it is still a connection. It CAN make the difference.

3) Make yourself memorable, but make sure it's positive. Again, this is part of the connections game: "Hey, I remember that guy; I liked him" is a faint connection, but against people with no connection at all, it can make all the difference.

4) The concept of a portfolio does not lend itself well to all fields. But to whatever extent you are able, build one: small but significant exemplars of your work that you can make available for free. This last bit is just to ensure you can show it to potential employers without causing trouble for you or for them; you can do paid/proprietary stuff too, but that stuff goes toward work experience, not your portfolio.
>>
>>17160561
Make your resume look better than it actually is - omit stuff that would make you look bad and embellish every positive detail that you have on there. Prepare some convincing lies in case anyone asks about the omissions. Lie about your skills, if you think you can get away with it.

If all else fails - look for work abroad. Lots of american companies have branches and offices in other countries and sometimes they have openings there, that most americans tend to overlook.
>>
>>17160598

Easy for you to say. Try writing a cover letter 70 times and with each successive one knowing, just knowing that some asshole isn't even going to read it.

Imagine working 5 years for something, dreaming it, imagining what it will be like.,.then once you're done all you're left with is disappointment and shame
>>
>>17160741
>Try writing a cover letter 70 times and with each successive one knowing, just knowing that some asshole isn't even going to read it.

Copy and paste functions exist for a reason, bruh.
>>
>>17160744
>>17160744

You must tailor your resume and cover letter for every position showing you've read the job listing. It takes some time. I'm not rewriting it from scratch but each listing takes about 30-60 minutes to work on.

I can apply for a retail job or something but the shame and depression from doing something completely unrelated to what I worked so hard for would be depressing. They wouldn't take someone with a degree anyway.
>>
>>17160756
>You must tailor your resume and cover letter for every position
Why would you do that? I just keep 1 resume that I use when applying to places and I could get jobs just fine.
>>
>>17160561
Write out a solid CV and give it to a recruitment agency, they've normally got connections and time you won't always have, it's how I got my job.
>>
>>17160756
You're over working it.
Make a few generalized ones for different jobs and fill in the blanks for whatever company you're applying to.
You'll drive yourself insane otherwise.
Only do custom cover letters if you really want to kiss ass and you know they'll read it.
>>
>>17160561
The average job hunt is 6 months, so you haven't even entered "unlucky" territory yet, much less "Panic time".
>>
I'll trade you op. I'm in the same boat for a year now, but in addition arm is fucked up and it demotivates me everyday.
>>
>>17160934
>>17160934

I'm not even getting interviews :(

>>17160935

What's your story anon? What did you study?
>>17160935
>>
>>17160943

I have a CS degree and math minor. I'm just saying if the only thing you're worried about is getting a job in your field of study, you're all set. I'm literally in discomfort everyday of my life and know full well, what ever I do, job or not. I'll still be in discomfort and unhappy.
>>
>>17160561

Start a business. I was once in your position and starting a business changed everything for me.
>>
File: 3.concordia-day4-aboard-tugboat.jpg (239 KB, 670x440) Image search: [Google]
3.concordia-day4-aboard-tugboat.jpg
239 KB, 670x440
Join the damn military. Be a 90-day wonder if you want to be an officer.
The Military Sealift Command is usually hiring, if you don't want to join the military. They're the people that manage transport of military equipment. Pay is excellent, but the voyages can be long. You should be able to clear 6 figures in any job but Culinary in your first year, if you do overtime.

https://sealiftcommand.com/
>>
>>17160782
No, he's right.

The purpose of the cover letter is to induce the recipient to WANT to read your resume.

Easiest thing to do is to look at the list of responsibilities and requirements in the ad and address each one (or the main ones if there are a lot).

As I mentioned above>>17160693 getting a job IS a job so you have to be willing to put in an hour to create that perfect cover letter and yes, day after day.
>>
I am in a similar place, can't get in to a phd program directly from undergrad and I don't have the money to get masters. All these applications, and not a single acceptance. I took it really hard at first, felt like a failure at everything. But a month ago I figured to change my mindset.

Just breath and keep on trying. Go outside more, stay positive, and do things. That's what keeps me going.
>>
>>17161541
>>17161541
>>17161541

What's the program?

Not hearing anything or feedback is kind of depressing too. I never even know what's wrong or what to fix.
>>
>>17160561
>I haven't sent in a single application in over a month.

iktf

I graduated last year. Never found a 'real job'. I was a waiter for like 3 months, but the restaurant went under. I havent sent out an application for like 2 months. I never get call backs, or emails or anything. I feel like a fucking failure.
>>
I feel so fucking worthless I consider offing myself once a week.

Everyone I know is an adult who has a job, their own place, and a life and here I am being a useless man child leeching off his parents.

I fucking hate myself. I'm about to break down and cry.
>>
>>17160561

after i graduated it took over a year to land a consistent job. then it took another year to land a REAL job. been here two years and its great.
>>
in terms of job hunt: if at first you don't succeed, lie lie again.

by which i mean, and this is an example since you have a degree, but if oyu were to start looking for a job at starbucks, and they insist you need to have 1 year barista experience.

claim you do. claim under volunteer service that you did barista service and being a waiter for charity brunches back in highschool.

if they call you in for an interview just watch a barista training video the night before. THEY WILL STILL TEACH YOU HOW TO USE THEIR MACHINE! but you will be one step ahead so its not super obvious you lied.

take that logic and apply it to any job you apply for.
>>
>>17160561
Quit life before it gets any worse.
>>
>>17162976
>>17162976

the only problem is for real life corporate jobs they ask very specific examples

"tell me a time you disagreed with a coworker at x place about y technical thing"

now i can talk about technical but the behavioral shit i dont have experience with

however i am considering lying my ass off because fuck i have all the technical skills just not the work experience
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.