[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm moving to the USA next week. What should I know? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: USA.jpg (69 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
USA.jpg
69 KB, 640x400
I'm moving to the USA next week.

What should I know? I'm only 19 and I don't know shit about your culture.

I've heard about walking in shoes at home and avoiding 9/11 jokes, what else?

Will I be hated for being a foreigner with bad english?
>>
What kind of foreigner?

Also why are you moving to a country you don't care about culturally?
>>
>>17158843
>foreigner

Where from and where to? It depends.
>>
>>17158870
I really like the language

Also my country isn't really in a good situation right now and average salary is a fucking joke

>What kind of foreigner
Pole.

>>17158876
From Poland to Redmond (Washington)
>>
Native amerifag here. I'll try to give a rundown as best as I can think of. We are generally loud, and fairly friendly for the most part. We do not mind foreigners at all for the most part, and will do our best to understand your english, so don't worry about that at all.

We are fairly consistent with our punctuality. If you are to be somewhere, get there 5 minutes early. If it is important (job interview or the like), get there 15 minutes early.

Line cutting, which I believe is not a big deal in other countries, is very bad here.

Tipping: For non fast food restaurants, tipping is very greatly encouraged, the go to amount is 15% of your bill. It's stupid, I know, but its hugely ingrained in our culture.

If you come from a gift giving country, don't worry about gifts here. It's not expected, and will make the american feel bad for not being prepared to give you one too.

Small talk is a common place, part of our unusual friendliness, so don't be turned off if someone engages in a conversation about pointless shit, like the weather.

I mentioned fast food before. It is huge here, as you probably know. This is because its fast and easy. We are almost always in a bit of a hurry, so we live off of it. Try to avoid this, as its really not healthy.

That's all I can quickly think of. Where are you coming from? I can perhaps come up with more based off your culture.
>>
Oh, redmond is a nice place. I lived there up until a few months ago. Its like 90% indian. Really awesome food everywhere. It's 35 years ahead every neighboring city, except bellevue.

Really you won't get an American experience there. Marymoor Park is gorgeous and we're just entering concert season.

But fear not! A 30 minute drive north and you hit America suburbia, an hour north and it's the American south. It's disgusting.
>>
>>17158843
heathcare is user pays.
>>
Oh yeah, and there's also a billion recreational weedshops north of redmond. I'm being liberal with the estimate of a billion
>>
>>17158913
>the go to amount is 15% of your bill

Mexifag here. I always thought this was a thing worldwide. I mean to ask, are you saying this isn't the case for many other countries?
>>
>>17158881
a pole huh?
FUCKING WELCOME BASED MUSLIM HATING BROTHER!
>>
>>17158881
You should go to Chicago. Polak central. You would fit in well whether you prefer more American or Polish culture.
>>
>>17158913
Also, I am serious about the friendliness thing. We are especially willing to help in the Northwest. You can literally ask a random person on the street a question about our culture or how to behave and they will 99% of time be willing to answer. Honestly that's a really good way to do it if you confused about something in the moment. Just don't dig into personal lives until you know about the person.
>>
>>17158930
Yeah, tipping is regarded as fucking weird and retarded outside of our countries. Given it is kinda fucking weird and retarded that we leave it up to customers to pay employee's salaries, rather than the business.
>>
>>17158941
It's because in this country, corporations can do no wrong and the law will do everything in it's power to spend to their whims.
>>
The northwest is closer to Europe than America
>>
>>17158881
>Redmond, WA

Wow, lucky you. I had to grow up (and still live) in The Dirty with all the dirties.
>>
>>17158913
Another thing:
We say "oh, really?" a lot. This pissed off an Italian friend of mine a ton b/c he felt like they were calling him out on every statement. That's not the case, we just use it to let the speaker know we are listening to their conversation.
>>
>>17158967

LOL I call bullshit. We say "oh, really?" To tell the speaker we are intrigued when we are calling them out in our head.
>>
>>17158881
>Redmond (Washington)
No way, I use to live there. The place is a techy nerdy city. I went there for a college there briefly. Most people there are nerdy, and the city is very diverse.

>Will I be hated for being a foreigner with bad english?
Not in redmond. Southern washington you will be tho.

>I've heard about walking in shoes at home and avoiding 9/11 jokes, what else?
You will hate tipping, but you gotta learn the tipping culture. Avoiding 9/11 jokes is only important for non-close friends. Its not socially accepted, but with friends most people will laugh as long as you don't joke bitterly.
>>
>>17158843
Welcome.
I had a friend visit America from Australia for several months. I asked him what surprised him the most and he said that in movies and TV Americans were usually portrayed as arrogant know-it-all bullies, but in real life we the most open and friendly people he'd ever met.

America is very large and diverse. Redmond is very different than Idaho (for example) even though it's only a few hours away. If you get the chance, travel a lot.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.