[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It is said to be better to have tried and failed than to have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: ate_shit.jpg (62 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
ate_shit.jpg
62 KB, 500x376
It is said to be better to have tried and failed than to have never tried, but remember a time when you regret trying?
>>
>>17158669

generally no. i think the saying is meant to shine light on the situations that people act like big deals but arent.

there is no reason not to go ask out that girl, or whatever.

if its dangerous and has real world stakes, consider the options. but the saying is not meant for like 'see if you can land a back flip off your roof' and anything like that.
>>
>>17158669
All of my interactions with women can be summed up like that.
>>
>>17158669
I dont think so. There is no time I haven't gained either physically, emotionally, or morally by participating in life. It's been worth it every time, even in failure.
>>
fitting song for thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jErJimwom94
>>
Yeah.

I spent a year in university trying for a physics degree, and failed after the first year. I got retakes and failed those too.

I'll still be paying off the student loans for that one year for the next 20 years or so, until the government writes off the debt. I didn't get any qualifications or keep any friendships. I lost all my savings. I still don't have any qualifications past sixth form, I'm working a mediocre job.

I would say I regret trying, if I could go back to my pre-uni self I would tell him not to bother like my dad said to.

I'd like to see people's rebuttal to this.
>>
>>17158701
this
>tried talking to a girl on facebook
>never doing that again
>tried talking to a girl in class
>never doing that again
failing sucks way to much to even try ever again
>>
I believe that there is something we can take from everything. If we never try, we'll never achieve anything. If we fail, then we're one step closer to the path of success. You can only fail so many times before you succeed.
>>
>>17158744
The rebuttal is that unless you're truly an idiot and/or received an extremely inadequate high school education, you should have been able to put in enough effort to not fail. So don't regret the decision, regret not putting in enough effort. Or if you put in as much effort as you could, then regret not having the self-awareness to realize that you weren't prepared for college.
>>
>>17159043

But that's beside the point, that it's said "it's better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all". Trying and failing put me in a worse position than not trying at all, regardless of if I was too stupid or lazy to have tried.
>>
>>17158669
>tried rebuilding relationship with mother
shouldnt have even went there
>>
>>17158669
>Tries approaching girls
>Asking them out
>Not only rejected by blacklisted
All regretted actions because now with all this new age bullshit a single unwanted advance gets you labled as a fuckboy and shunned by people.
>>
>>17158992
You suck
>>
>>17160147
i know
>>
>>17158669
As pathetic as it sounds, i regret almost any life choice i made. Every choice made my life significantly worse.

I still think it's theoretically better to try and fail rather than not trying at all. Although it practically doesn't work for me (bad luck i guess? Or depression interfering with how i see things)

I mean, i don't trust my gut anymore, simply because i learned through practical experience that whenever i feel like i should attempt something, it always turns out i was dead wrong.
>>
>>17158669
having known the pain of failure and the pain of regret, regret is much easier to deal with
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.