[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to apply to a boat building school in my area. The program
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: image_0.jpg (54 KB, 640x626) Image search: [Google]
image_0.jpg
54 KB, 640x626
I want to apply to a boat building school in my area. The program is a year long, and costs 30 grand. I'm 25 with no debt or savings. Will it be worth it? I've never cared much about living standards or quality of life, I just do what I like. I've been a sailor for 12 years and right now I build beer breweries in a metal fab shop, so I figure I have enough experience with both my hands and around boats for this to be a good fit for me. I am just worried about paying off this debt if I went through with it, 30 grand would take me a long time. I've never had more than 5 grand at any one time
>>
>>17158123
WHAT I LEARNED IN BOATING SCHOOL IS
>>
Boats are gay.

Lift weights.
>>
>>17158123
What if you don't like it? That's a lot of money to gamble on a career with.
>>
Who even has a boat? I don't have a boat. Why are you getting into boats if nobody has a boat? Seems kind of strange.
>>
>>17159510
I do.

>>17159535
I have made a couple small dinghies before put of teak with the help of a local sailor, but this school will teach me how to draft my own and hone my craftsmanship. I know it's a lot but I have never intended on having a lot of money, I just want to spend my time doing something I thoroughly enjoy.

>>17159539
I already have 3 30ft sloop rigs and 11 smaller dinghies. I teach people how to sail voluntarily on the weekends and volunteer with the coast guard search and rescue.
>>
File: sanjuan.jpg (224 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
sanjuan.jpg
224 KB, 2048x1152
Bumping with one of my boats
>>
You thoroughly enjoy doing this? If yes, then go right ahead.
30k might sound like a huge amount to you right now but if you enjoy something, you are probably going to be much better at it than someone who is making boats because he has no other option.
This should in time give you a successful business to build your life on as long as you're not incredibly stupid.
If this is a passing fade for you then indeed 30k is a lot of money to spend on something you'll get tired of in 1 2 years
>>
>>17160812
Thank you, I have a lot to decide on.
>>
File: IMAG0789.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0789.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1840
Wait a minute, man.

I'm a merchant mariner, and I build boats on the side- I build an 18' Eastporter and a 24' Novi. I build maybe 2 boats a year. Doesn't pay great, but my other job does.

You need to look at their post-graduate employment stats, average starting salary, opportunities for jobs in your areas, etc. I've been in Maine and FL, 2 places with lots of builders, and both don't pay well, unless you're a craftsman with a name and a product of your own, like George Buehler or Van Damn up on the Great Lakes.

Money isn't everything, of course. But you might look at the value of the education you're getting. Which school are you looking at? 30k is high, unless you're learning how do do wood AND composite construction.
I bought a 42' Wesmac up in Maine when I was in my mid-30's. It was 80% complete, the original owner died while it was under construction. I paid 480k for the boat (It was a workboat). I got to know the guys in the shop- they did NOT make great money. It was OK for Maine, but the owner, a master craftsman like you wouldn't believe, wasn't going hungry.
Other places, yacht and factory producers like Bayliner pay lay-up and installers $7-10 an hour, and they use mexicans and such because the working conditions suck.
I think you could have a great career, if you tailor it right and choose the right school. But you can really shoot yourself in the foot if you don't go in with your eyes open.
(Pic related- it's a well-made galley for a 100-footer)
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.