[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alcohol
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Has anon ever had a drinking problem and gotten through it?
>>
No, they all died.
>>
Yes. I was like 'woa holy shit I'm tired of feeling awful' so I stopped, and my life is much better
>>
>>17157823
Plenty of people do. Try spending more time with less drinky friends, better health practices, and developing a spiritual practice as well to keep you more emotionally stable. Try to drink less, too.

If things get really bad and you have no control of yourself when you drink and your life starts to seriously suffer to the point you want to quit drinking, I'll save a seat for you in AA, but it should be a last resort. Lets allow you to lose all hope in yourself before we try to sell AA to you.

>2 years soberfag
>>
>>17157829
Everyone dies.
>>
>>17157834
Interesting. What did you do to give it up? Do you not drink at all?
>>
>>17157849
Only with family, and no more than them, usually less. I no longer buy alcohol for personal consumption at my house because I'll probably get bored/or in a mood and just drink it all.
>>
I'm talking about almost 20 years ago, but I used to drink too much as a kid. I started drinking daily around age 16 and quickly progressed to a bottle or two of cheap cider a day. I was hanging around with people where this was a normal daily activity.

This progressed to being on and off homeless and hanging around with other street drinkers and living a bit of a crust punk/squat lifestyle for about 5 years. I played in bands and couch surfed. I also took advantage of any girl dumb enough to take me in and try and help me by basically being a massive leech with a persecution complex. I used to have to drink more heavily to get drunk after a while, constant daytime drinking was just what we did while skating and selling a little weed and pills.

After a while I started to feel massive self loathing and disgust at the shit I was seeing within the scene I was in. I didn't need to see people take money to dish out beatings or be around people talking about murder over minor grievances. Didn't need to see heads split open or guys in their late 20's/early 30's sexually grooming teenage girls with drugs and alcohol from problem homes.

I moved to another city and didn't stop drinking, but I got into more caring scenes and started associating with socially and politically conscientious communes. They became like family and eventually I didn't feel the need to drink to fit in, I felt the need to have my shit together to act like a worthwhile adult amongst my respectable peers.

Basically alcohol addiction has a physical and psychological side to it. The physical side needs tapering and quitting in an intelligent way, but the psychological side requires you to want to stop drinking and that is much easier if you are removed from the environment that normalises this. It is hard when everything you know is tied up in alcohol consumption. Addiction is terrible because basically all your normal responses and emotions and coping mechanisms are eventually replaced by alcohol.
>>
>>17157875
Thank you.
>>
>>17157823

yes. rock bottom was a really bad living situation where i was woken up @ 5am by people doing tons of rails of coke in my kitchen and i woke up with the intention of telling them to fuck off and instead i went to kitchen, looked at them, said 0 words and started drinking until i had polished off half a 750 of i think it was scotch or something stupid to be drinking in the morning. at one point i tried to get up and ended up falling/stumbling into the recycling bin.

the only thing that has ever worked for me is to quit drinking cold turkey for 10-14 days. those "tests" are really important to me because they let me know if i'm doing ok. when i was drinking too much i'll have a hard time with emotional control, or i'll be trying to bargain with myself to cut the test short on like day 3-5 on. If you can not drink for 10 days, without any kind of problem, you aren't too fucked. If you have any kind of problems? You know you need to force yourself to really take stock, cut way back etc.

In order to get out of when I couldn't go 10 days to save my life I had to cut out some people, some activities, i cut first to only 2 drinks/weekday max and eventually i cut out going out twice per week for unlimited drinking nights.

i always found not having alcohol in the house helped so i would force myself to go to the corner store and only buy 2 beers or a half pint or something so that every day i had to make a decision to go get my drinks for that day. that helped to skip a few days more often.

eventually i could actually make 10 days with struggle but the struggles got less and less. the first time i tried i was literally emotionally unhinged before i hit a week. like anything going wrong at home would feel like the end of the world, was nuts and scary.

gl OP
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.