[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HP vs Lenovo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: large.jpg (122 KB, 500x669) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
122 KB, 500x669
Gonna buy a laptop. There are 2 last options for my budget, they have the same specs. One is a HP and the other is Lenovo.

Considering both have the same specs, which one do you think would work better and cause less problems?
>>
I'd personally go for Lenovo, but that's because brand loyalty
>>
I think you should go with Lenovo, I haven't had any good experience buying a HP computer desu
>>
hp's overheat imo
>>
File: 1461895799970.jpg (28 KB, 821x843) Image search: [Google]
1461895799970.jpg
28 KB, 821x843
>>17157185
Stay away from HP, their laptops are famous for overheating from bad factory design.
>>
No one likes hp huh?
>>
>>17158282
I don't have any experiences with HP, but nothing but good experiences with Lenovo
>>
Never bought a laptop, but I've taken apart quite a few HPs. They're alright, but the cooling solution is pretty minimalist, and the airflow is terrible.

You would definitely need a cooling pad.

Never worked on a lenovo, so I couldn't say. Toshibas are decent cooling wise though.
>>
>all these /g/entoomen

What's your budget?
>>
>>17158343
>recommending a Toshiba laptop
>ever
>>
>>17158290
Can confirm. I had an HP that would sound like a jet engine from time to time. Got a Lenovo and it's completely silent.
>>
>>17158363
My friend switched from a tablet/hybrid to a proper laptop and was complaining about how loud the fan is. I can't say I've ever noticed any of my Lenovo laptops' fans.
>>
>>17158374
Wtf
>>
Lenovo's been working out fine for me.
>>
>>17157185
>Lenovo

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/19/technology/security/lenovo-superfish/
>>
File: 1460477741851.png (1 MB, 1600x899) Image search: [Google]
1460477741851.png
1 MB, 1600x899
>>17158736
>tfw lenovo has a superfish removal tool on their own website
I'd rather uninstall a simple program than fuckin put up with HP's shitty ass PC's.
>>
>>17158693
What?
>>
>>17158798
>implying hp and lenovo are the only options

I would rather go for dell then to support a chinese company that installs adware or a company with a high failure rate.
>>
>>17158819
How can they have ratings for 2016 when we're not even half way through the year? Also
>blindly trusting an infographic
>>
Neither. HPs a shit, and I don't really trust anything Chinese to not have spyware hidden somewhere.
>>
I have an HP laptop on its 4th year now. I really like the design and build, but as anons above have said, it's got overheating issues. Nothing crippling, yet, but I had to cap my processor speed to keep it reasonable, and the fan sounds like a turbine occasionally. I recently got a replacement battery since I suspected that maybe a power inaccuracy might be causing some problems, and it's seemed to help a little.
>>
>>17157185
buy a compac its cheaper version of hp. lenovo (cheaper version of acer) are slow as shit in processing speeds takes forever to turn on.
>>
>>17157185
Neither. Get an Asus or Toshiba.
>>
Had 2 HPs and a Lenovo. In my experience the HPs are better.
First HP worked well, what I would expect for its specs. It would get pretty hot when I was playing videogames, but it lasted well. Died in a flood about 1.5 years after I bought it, had no hardware problems with it until that.
Second was Lenovo. It was cooler than the HP, but would still overheat somewhat when playing videogames. It was slower though, despite the specs being a little better. Felt like the processor was 10 years old after 1 year of use. HDD broke for no apparent reason after about 9 months of use (warranty covered it, they gave me a new one for free). Gave up on it after about 2.5 years because it would run slower and slower despite cleaning it and changing paste.
Now I have a HP for about 2 years. I don't use it for gaming, I've got a PC for that, but it doesn't overheat in the slightest (I only use it for excel, movies and browsing the internet). I've had no hardware issues with it.
>>
File: image.png (235 KB, 600x514) Image search: [Google]
image.png
235 KB, 600x514
Sup squad,

I bought an HP in May of 2012 when going to University for Electrical Engineering. It caught on fire in my apartment in March of 2014 while I was out at lunch. Please do not buy an HP.

Lenovo's traditionally have a fuckload of bloatware, but if you're competent enough to compare specs on PCs, I expect you could probably clean it out.
>>
>>17157185
DO NOT BUY LENOVO. YOU WILL REGRET IT.
>>
>>17157185
I used to have an HP laptop. USB ports on one side broke, one of the buttons on the trackpad broke (luckily I use a mouse), and the SD card reader broke.

I then bought a Lenovo laptop. Crapload of bloatware, but seeing as I dualbooted Ubuntu and Windows I had to format the whole thing anyways. So far the only problem has been 3 keys that broke off the keyboard. Replaced them for something like £7 but otherwise no problems. Heating seems fine, very quiet, thoroughly pleased.

I'd go Lenovo.
>>
>>17159833
Oh, forgot to mention that the HP sounded like a jet engine near the end. I was embarrassed to use it at the uni library. It would regularly draw stares.
>>
Op here

Thanks guys I think I'm gonna buy lenovo,
>>
>>17159833
>dualboot
>had to format
>not just replacing windows boot manager with say grub2

What are you, mechanical / electrical engineering student in 2nd semester thinking he da pro?
>>
>>17160346
When I was allocating my Ubuntu partition, it didn't allow me enough space for whatever reason. So, I had to install Ubuntu over the whole thing and then partition for Windows.

Why the hostility m8? Did I imply I was being elitist?
>>
I have a hp with progressively failing USB ports due to unstable output voltage and the power connector failed twice internally and needed replacing. My friends one developed a cooling problem, always loud fan noise, system instability and I thought the hdd failed quickly for what it was, like within 4 years. My gfs mother broke the hinge on hers and she is usually a careful person. I don't rate them for those reasons, but I don't rate laptops highly in terms of longevity anyway, they are kind of disposable products with limited lifespan from new.
>>
>>17157185
>Laptop
>Hp
Please don't. I'm never making that mistake agai.. Don't do it OP
>>
>>17157185
>>17158798

Lenovo has fucked up at least twice, just about as hard as you can in the software department. First it was superfish, which pretty much broke the encryption on your browsers so that somebody monitoring the connection at any point could read your banking information, email etc. Then after they got done apologizing about that, they wrote a program into their freaking bios that would check if you uninstalled their bloatware and goddamned reinstall it every time you rebooted your computer. Didn't matter if you installed windows from scratch with your own copy. Which would have sucked on its own, being basically impossible to change, but it turned out it was also a security risk, and a hacker could likely take irreversible control of your computer at the most basic level. So microsoft had to force them to write an update to the bio so people could manually remove it, and ban them from doing that shit in the future. So basically lenovo has shown that letting software companies pay to put insecure bullshit on their computers is part of their business plan. Shame, because otherwise they're pretty much like off brand dell computers.
>>
>>17157185
HP laptops are what I've come to respect. My uncle has a Vista one from HP that's 8 years old or so and still works. HP desktops fry themselves but laptops have my trust. That is all.
>>
Lenovo if you're hellbent on either of those.
My advice would be to get an Asus instead.
>>
>>17157185
Fucking tard
http://ktgee.net/post/49423737148/thinkpad-guide

Check out /tpg/
I recommend the x220 or t420
>>
>>17160435
they dont build them like they used to.
>>
>>17158819
Uh they are the only options for op, read the thread pleb
>>
>>17157185
Don't buy hp. It's full of bloatware and its really annoying.

You should tell us the spec you are looking at, if you get a processor that is too shitty you'll prolly waste your money.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.