[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I make a 7 year old behave? I'm technically in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: ph_ballroom_2.jpg (56 KB, 668x400) Image search: [Google]
ph_ballroom_2.jpg
56 KB, 668x400
How do I make a 7 year old behave?

I'm technically in college but I live at home with family. Cousin visits more often now that finals are over and summer vacation is coming. Her kid is rebellious - he hits our cats and dogs with his toys, talks back, and goes through our rooms and steals shit. Luckily our rooms have locks on them so that's one problem solved. He still hits our cats/dogs and talks back though.

How does /adv/ discipline without hitting a kid? Tried taking his toys away and putting him in the corner but he just started running off and starts playing with ornaments and furniture around the house.
>>
Uh, talk to your cousin? Or your parents?
>>
>>17156703

Talked to cousin; she already does these. Is and always failing with the "no toys/video games/movies, sit in the corner and think about it". Doesn't work for him.

For now it seems like having a family member from his side of the family talking to him will calm him down for half an hour but he'll eventually revert back. I don't see this working for too long, either.

Talked to family/parents, they don't want to put up with him because he doesn't listen.
>>
He needs a fucking ass beating. End of story.
>>
Dealing with a kid takes time, you need to outwill them.

Take EVERYTHING. All sources of entertainment, all the food they enjoy, don't allow them out of the house, deny them attention, and wait.

Of course taking away toys for a day isn't going to deter him, he'd pretend to be happy just to piss you off. You KNOW he'll get bored. You KNOW he'll hate eating food he doesn't like, and you KNOW not getting attention is going to get to him.

Find what he can't stand not having, and take that away.
>>
I dealt with my nephews by buying myself a treat and eating it in front of them. Always works and they know me as the candy man. Just never rub it in their faces because they will spite you for it and it will be a bit harder to get them back under your thumb.
>>
>>17156701
So, there's three main things with disciplining kids.

The first is to try and figure out why they're foing it, or if there's anything making it worse. This can be anything from them being hungry or not sleeping properly, parents not giving them enough attention, sibling rivalry, to the getting bullied at school. If you don't do this part you're shovelling snow while it's still snowing.

The second thing is to set up your "carrot and stick" approach. When the kid does something good, give it praise and most importantly attention. Get a reward chart and some stickers, kids love that stuff.

When it's bad however, it goes on the naughty step and it stays there for (one minuite per year of age). It sits quietly, and you pretend you can't see it. Don't give it any attention at all. If it fucks about you calmly tell it that it now has to do (1 minuite per year of age) + (extra time for being a cunt). No matter what happens it does not come off the naughty step until it's done it's time.

It'll be hard work at first, but you have to regain the balance of power. At the moment that kid thinks you're his faggotbitch and that he runs the house. You need to get back to the point where he understands that while you can give him everything he wants, you also can and will take it all away as you please.

Also, about making threats - don't do it. At all. No "play niceley or you'll go on the naughty step", no "this is your last warning", none of it. As soon as it does something wrong it's "gg kid gtfo on the step". Also, don't threaten things you can't deliver. If you say "I'll take your toy away for a month if you..." then give it back the next day, it thinks it's won. Instead, just let them watch you take the toy without saying anything and if they ask, it's "well I haven't decided if you're getting it back at all". Instil a healthy dose of fear.
>>
>>17156701
Put the little bastard up for adoption
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.