[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My first propper watch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: omega.jpg (164 KB, 860x741) Image search: [Google]
omega.jpg
164 KB, 860x741
Hello, I'm a 19 year old student who works 20-30hours/week as a barman. For my job I have a Seiko Cocktail Time, right now I'm wearing a pretty beaten Tag Heuer Sport Elegance, which I've never been a fan of (my granddad gave it to me) Anyway I've considered buying an Omega Seamaster Aquaterra 42.5mm, Automatic. But is it too early to buy a 3500£ watch when I'm only 19? Is it even a good watch etc.?
>>
if you have the money, buy what you want.

But, if you aren't going to use it to its fullest potential, it would be wise to spend less money.

After all, even "fancy" watches pretty much only tell time.
>>
Unless you literally have too much money and nothing to spend it on, don't get an expensive watch. If you want to look rich and classy and whatever just get a fake, no one can tell the difference from simply seeing it on your arm. I got a fake "Rolex" for like 30$ about 3 years ago and it did me just as much good as a 3500£ watch would've done so far.

Expensive watches are a means for smart people to make money off rich and dumb people. If you want to buy an expensive watch you're either rich or dumb. Which one are you, OP?
>>
A propper watch can't be compared to a cheap knockoff.

"If you want to look rich and classy and whatever just get a fake, no one can tell the difference from simply seeing it on your arm"

I want to buy a watch that'll last the rest of my life and beyond. If i wanted to look rich and classy I'd buy a watch with a gold-look. The quality of a luxury swiss watch is very underrated.
>>
>>17155327
And how will you know that your 3500 pound watch will last you a lifetime? Similarly, if you buy a 30 pound watch every 10 years, it will be cheaper and last you longer guaranteed. In fact, you can spend 30 pounds each year on a new watch and you will last 116 years before you spend 3500 pounds.
>>
My Tag Heuer is around 50-60 years old and mechanically it's still very fine.
Wearing cheap shit around your wrist for a lifetime sounds unhealthy. (Nickelallergie runs in my family) I see your point, but why not just buy something that lasts and won't make you look like a fool, wearing a fake 40k watch when your monthly salery is 1.2-1.5k
>>
>>17155327
The quality of a watch is meaningless because the utility of a watch is 0. Watches are jewelry nowadays. There is absolutely no reason to get a watch other than to show off.
>>
>>17155267
>But is it too early to buy a 3500£ watch when I'm only 19?
Expensive watches are a bit of a folly. I've got an Omega Seamaster that my wife bought me (which would be fine if she worked, but the truth of what happened is I bought myself a £4,000 watch without getting to choose it myself) and the only difference between this one and the £100 Seiko I had before is this one's heavier. The thing is, 90% of people don't notice your watch at all, 4% see it and think it looks nice, but nothing more, 3% recognise the brand and instantly assume it's fake, 1% look at it and think "that's a bit like my watch, only he got the cheaper model", 1% think you're an idiot for spending so much on a watch and one person in a hundred might actually be impressed.

As for whether 19 is too soon to get one, I'm on the fence. On one hand, you probably don't have many other responsibilities. On the other hand there are an auwful lot of things that you're going to need more than another expensive watch. My hose is worth a spit over £0.5mil (I currently own just under half of it), I've got about £100k in my pension pot so far, mine and my wife's cars are worth about £50k togther, we have a good standard of living and my kids are well looked after. If I wasn't in this position there's no way on earth I'd even think about spending £400 on a watch, let alone £4,000.
>>
You should wear your grandfather's watch, because he is family.

Let me explain.

Some people accept their family for who they are, even if they don't like them very much, because you grew up with these people, and you will never forget them.

Your watch is like that. You may not like it, but your grandfather wanted you to wear it and when he has passed from this world, I think then you'll understand why he gave it to you.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.