[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Registering to Vote
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1455228459428.jpg (28 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1455228459428.jpg
28 KB, 720x720
Is there any reason for why I should not register to vote? I'm 23, not registered to vote, all my Facebook friends and IRL friends are suddenly passionate political activists pushing their agenda when asked, and I'm over here extremely apathetic about politics. I never had any interest in registering to vote, because nothing about it really appeals to me. I honestly have yet to notice any major difference in my life between all the presidents I've lived through. My daily life is more affected by if I do well in college, or if I get to work on time, than who's president. Hell, even just making a dumb mistake while driving can change my life more than my vote. It makes voting feel so minuscule. There's probably more local stuff I could vote for that'll probably change my daily life much more, like voting on local laws and even voting on freeway construction on the freeways I take to work, if there's such a thing as voting for stuff like that.

I just don't see how it will drastically affect my daily life compared to everything else I do every day.

And people being so passionate about voting and telling me I should register, "you have to register, don't make my generation look bad", and all this other stuff about how "brave men and women have died for your right to vote so you should vote" is turning me off from it. It's bringing out this weird, angsty teenager view of, I don't want to do what you really want me to do because you told me to do it.

Anyway. This will probably get ignored and I know this is more a /pol/ thread, but I feel like it deals with more interpersonal, and inner issues rather than pure politics. I know there is a thousand reasons for why I should register, but is there any reasons that side with why I shouldn't register? What reason do I have besides apathy? Am I just being a apathetic shithead, or am I right in some aspects?

Thanks.
>>
>>17154866
No one will care and it doesn't matter if you specifically don't vote, so don't and don't bring it up in conversation.
>>
>>17154878
I actually never do bring it up. If someone specifically asked me if I was registered to vote or not, I wouldn't lie, I'd say I wasn't. But other than that, I never say it. I don't preach how I'm not, or advertise how I'm not. I always avoid talks about politics, never actively, just naturally due to apathy. So it never really comes up unless I'm directly asked, which has happened, of course.
>>
>>17154866
Just don't vote. You're not obligated to vote. It's not really big deal at all, and it's no one's business. Those men and women also fought and die for your right not to vote too you know.

Also if you're so concern about other aggressive idiots bothering you because you don't vote, don't bring it up. Also don't be around them too if you want to go that far.
>>
>>17154866

Jesus christ, stop being such a insecure fag and making a huge deeal out of nothing. Or you are trolling, I don't know.

There's a reason why voting isn't mandatory. Beause whoever came up with this system deliberately kept not voting as a possibility. So, by not voting you are also expressing yourself.

Whatever your reasons for not wanting to vote are, they are as valid as any reason to vote for any candidate. If you feel like you don't want to vote, it's your business, nobody else has a right to tell you how to feel about voting. End of story.
>>
Everyone is political around election time.

Especially everyone on facebook.

"defriend me if you're voting for trump" yadda yadda yadda.

I keep my politics personal, just like it's supposed to be. I don't like political pages, I don't make political comments, I keep to myself in general, and think most relationships should be private.

If you want to post about what you and your girlfriend had last night for dinner, that's great. But, believe it or not, my girl and I have dinner each night, and I don't need to post on facebook to further validate my life, and my choices.
>>
>>17154866
>Is there any reason for why I should not register to vote?
You might get called up for jury duty at some random point in the future. Or you might not. That's about it.
>>
>>17154866
As long as you don't complain about the state the world is in, then you're gucci
>>
>>17154866
either theyre looking to get referred by you or your friends sound like egotistical pricks
>>
>>17154866
I am registered to vote and probably won't bother. All these candidates are fucking awful.
>>
>>17154866

Could someone explain to a yurofag what the fuck "registering to vote" even means? I get a voting my voting pass in the mail, and I don't have to do anything for it.

Could anyone also explain to me why apparently firearms licenses and student IDs are regarded as IDs? I can only use passport, driver's license and ID card to identify myself, as those are the only ones that can be verified to be real.

And on that subject, how is it even a question whether people should prove their identity when voting?
>>
>>17155524
Here in the US people need to register in order for their votes to be counted on election day. Most people get registered when they sign up for their driver's license or online.

There's a lot of resistance to voter ID in the US (mainly form the Democratic party) because some claim it will deter minorities from voting (not sure about their logic with that). Since everyone is so scared of being called racist no voter ID laws have been enacted nationwide.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.