[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>1 year away from getting bachelor's degree >college
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1460904842359.png (95 KB, 716x596) Image search: [Google]
1460904842359.png
95 KB, 716x596
>1 year away from getting bachelor's degree
>college suddenly decides my family is too rich for financial aid and only pays 1/4 of it
>have to acquire $15000 by August to even pursue it

I'm not even sure how to articulate how pissed I am, but what financial alternatives are there for funding college? Are there bank loans that work like financial aid, in that I don't have to pay them until graduation?

I know scholarships are another route, but they are way too low-chance to be considered viable.

As for info about me, I'm 21, white, living alone, parents unable to support me, and barely make $15000 a year (retail job). Good credit, volunteer/management experience, and pursuing CS. Clueless about obtaining $15000 in 3 months.
>>
It's called taking a year off, saving up, and then finishing next year.
>>
>>17153178
Loans faggot. Apply to scholarships too. Save up. Take a semester or two off if you need too.

>Wah no more free shit.
Welcome to the real world spoiled bastard.
>>
>>17153178
>Are there bank loans that work like financial aid, in that I don't have to pay them until graduation

Yes, that's exactly how student loans work. You do not accrue interest until you graduate, at which point you are expected to pay the loan back.

Take out the loan(s), and bust your ass hard your senior year to get a paid internship/career, so you can start paying those loans back immediately.

Sucks, but this is what most kids have to do.
>>
>>17153190
>You do not accrue interest until you graduate
Only if the loan is subsidized, unsubs accrue interest as soon as it is dispersed.
>>
>>17153188
>spoiled
>$15k/yr with no parental support

>>17153190
>>17153184
Thanks for the help, that's good to know banks offer loans similar to the federal subsidized ones. I'll be calling my bank soon to check out what they offer.

Though I'm not sure how to suddenly acquire a high-pay CS job with no degree and a weak portfolio, but I'll keep an eye out. Might just monetize my computer repair skills, just to get a little extra.
>>
>>17153178
15k a semester?? Is that outta state tuition? You have to at least qualify for instate tuition now, do the paperwork to show you are a resident of the state.
>>
>>17153250
Well, it's that price for me to live out there, it's too far for me to commute. It's still in-state, totals out to be about $22,000/yr however I look at it, and Fed gubmint will give a $7000 loan.
>>
>>17153224
>Though I'm not sure how to suddenly acquire a high-pay CS job with no degree and a weak portfolio, but I'll keep an eye out
No one said you have to have a top paying job
>>
>>17153178
Financial aid is a gift, not an entitlement. This reduction might be a wake-up call you need. Instead of just lying back and assuming it will come your way, you now have to go out and actively look for funds. Loans and grants are out there, but you have to go get them.
>>
>>17153275
I guess I've been mis-speaking, but by financial aid I mean federal loans have been cut for me.

When applying for student loans, should I expect to get 1 huge one, or will I have to try multiple sources? Any general advice for increasing the odds of acquiring it?
>>
>>17153256
That's still a lot. Are you in a dorm? Those are way overpriced. Get an apartment and split the rent with a bunch of roommates. How much is just tuition??
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.