[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
alcoholism is creeping up on me.. amoung other things How can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 1463146112321.png (593 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1463146112321.png
593 KB, 800x800
alcoholism is creeping up on me.. amoung other things

How can i counteract addiction? i can't really afford a miss-step right now
>>
>>17152732
Stop buying alcohol

Are you dumb?
>>
>>17152732

go to alcoholics anonymous. dump out all of your booze tonight. tell all your close friends you have a bit of a problem and would love it if they kept an eye on you. family too. make a post on facebook saying you want anyone who catches you drinking to call you out on it.

if your first reaction to any of this is
>NO THAT WOULD BE BAD BECUASE xx OR yy

then it seems you CAN afford a miss-step
>>
>>17152739
This this this
>>
>>17152739
>>17152739
AA works i suppose.
No friends and don't want to contact family
thanks for the input
>>
>>17152783

>re:
>>
aa sucked for me. i quit drinking 5years ago because i decided to start giving a shit about myself. aa teaches you to do it for a higher power or community or some bullshit. fuck that you need to want it for you or it doesn't stick. be selfish and care about yourself faggot
>>
File: god at aa.png (1 MB, 700x3991) Image search: [Google]
god at aa.png
1 MB, 700x3991
>>17152900
yeah I didn't like that stuff much either, you're supposed to take the parts you like and disregard the parts you don't though. Lots of people go to AA to deal with addictions other than alcohol and just change the message in their head.
>>
it's hard to give advice for addiction because everyone's addiction is so personal but here's things I do.

start using a mantra to stop yourself from drinking. I use HALT (stands for Hungry/Angry or Anxious/Lonely/Tired). It's meant to make you think about why you want to drink. For me I get thirsty when I'm hungry. I eat a sandwich and boom, craving is curbed. I also drink when I'm too anxious. A hot shower or fapping kills the craving.

The next thing to do in the moment is to FUCKING STOP IT. Sit on your hands if you have to. Force yourself to watch pay attention to a TV show. Write yourself a letter about why drinking is fucking terrible for you. Sit down and think about the reasons you want to drink. Take a walk around the block. Do a set of pushups.

One thing that helped me was trying to change my habits. First you have to figure out what's triggering your need to drink. Then instead of drinking you do something else that gives your brain a sense of reward. For me I went for a fast paced 10 minute jog every time I wanted to drink. It's about enough to get your endorphins pumping and will alleviate your depression + help you get into better shape.

Really though what you should be doing is reading. Just type your question into google and look through the shit that comes up. If you want something specific to read about research "Addiction Harm Reduction". You might just have a temporary problem with alcohol and you need to work through issues with yourself to not turn into a full blown addict. It sounds like you might be under a lot of stress. But that doesn't work for everyone. Some people really can't handle another drop of alcohol ever again. Figuring that out is a good step.

In my last year of college I had a drinking problem because being stressed to the point where I developed an anxiety disorder. Once I sorted my life out and made it easier the anxiety faded and I didn't need to be drunk all the time.
>>
Stop drinking.

AA only works if you're willing to sacrifice all personal responsibility onto "A higher power". They say "A Higher Power" because otherwise courts couldn't legally make you attend, but they just mean God. You're a naughty, naughty sinner and need Jesus.

Alternatively, stop being a pussy and don't drink. Does it suck? Yes. Are you going to sweat like a fat guy in a sauna? Yes. Will it smell horrible? Absolutely.
You know what won't help? "A higher power".
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.