[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i need to go back to uni but i don't care enough.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: lazy-elementary-school-student.jpg (42 KB, 550x317) Image search: [Google]
lazy-elementary-school-student.jpg
42 KB, 550x317
>i'm really good at being poor
>had nothing but negative experiences with higher education
>most coursework is a pointless waste of time
>i'm sick and tired of having to drop out to deal with health, senpai, $$
i know i'm not going to be happy working hs diploma jobs, how do i make this happen?
>>
what would make you happy in life OP?
>>
>>17152348
i'm not familiar with this state of being anon. i know i don't like being bored.
>>
>>17152332

can you expand on your negative higher education experiences? was it difficulty or a lack thereof? social aspects?.

you've identified something that won't make you happy and that's a good start. what you need is a goal; something to work toward. something to remind you that yes uni blows right now but it is necessary because of x and y. again i would ask, what would make you happy or feel fulfilled in life?
>>
>>17152432
not sure. i don't have any experience with feeling happy or fulfilled. i'm not depressed; i just don't seem to get a lot of satisfaction from what's going on in my life.

hs was too easy; literally slept thru all my classes. i got sick in college and had to drop out a bunch. a lot of really unpleasant arguments with bureaucrats who didn't want to accommodate me. had to take legal action a few times; major headache. going back as an older student i find i can't bear my younger co-ed's eagerness for pointless trivia. a few douchebag professors. not studying because don't have the time outside of work & flareups and feeling just awful about it.

i've got most of this solved now and should have few problems this time but i can't figure out why i'd want to put myself thru all that again. i did a certificate course recently and it was like really chill and no one was an asshole to me about being "disabled", very weird.
>>
>>17152475

two things:

>I've never had any experience being happy or fulfilled in life
>I don't get any satisfaction regarding where my life is right now
>need to go back to uni but don't care enough
>I'm not depressed

apathy, feeling unfulfilled in life in general, lack of happiness, zero satisfaction or direction, irritability, consistent health issues, poverty. depression is a stealthy piece of shit that specializes in the slow burn. all of a sudden you're in up to your neck and it was so gradual you hardly even notice. from personal experience, when i am depressed i don't even realize it until i look at myself from a third person perspective. therapists don't exist just for people struggling with mental disorders, they're there for people struggling with life in general. i'm seeing one myself to help get over my fear of failure.

>course certificate

have you looked into completing your degree online? it sounds beneficial for you. at the end of the day the degree is just a piece of paper saying you completed x and y. as long as its from somewhere accredited you will hav eno problem with employers
>>
>>17152531
the online thing is all lined up anon, the only problem is doing it.

for my program a bit hard to find a not bricks and mortar institution but i've managed.

i'm seeing a therapist soon? i don't think it's depression so much as a phobia. i don't seem to have a problem doing things which aren't uni.

it's kind of an expensive last ditch option but i've been sitting on this for like a year and making no progress so i guess this is what i have to do.
>>
>>17152531
>I don't get any satisfaction regarding where my life is right now
not so true; i seem to have a history of dissatisfaction rather. i'm p happy with what i'm doing now but i know i will need more challenging work down the line. or continue to need challenging work?
i'm being honest when i say i'm genuinely p content atm. maybe that's why i'm afraid of rocking the boat. :/
>>
>>17152580

if you are anything like i am, it is that what you have now is okay and you can probably continue the way you live indefinitely. the flip side is the feeling in the back of your head and in the pit of your stomach telling you that you are settling for mediocrity.

i know that i will be good at what i want to do. i know that i have what it takes. i know that all i have to do is follow the steps to do it. but i hesitate and wait and every day i wait is another day i put it off. i make excuses on why i can't put in work today. i waste my time on the internet because it's easier than thinking about it. then bam it's been 6 months and i've sat on my ass and realized i've literally done nothing to work towards a life that would make me truly happy.

i've read once that hell is dying as you are and coming face to face with the version of yourself that you could've been had you just made the effort. i've identified it as one of my greatest fears and that's why i'm working to become that person instead of settling for a life without risks or leaps of faith.

i think talking these things out with a therapist will be good for you OP. I know it helped me even when i didn't think i needed it.
>>
>>17152675
thanks for your insights anon.
>>
what's your major in? the last year of uni is fucking useless unless you want to join the academic circle jerk brigade. you might be able to start doing what you want to do online.
>>
>>17153050
math major anon, already fucking useless. actually applied math major, so only a little bit fucking useless.
no idea how to apply for jobs online or even where to look. seems like everyone wants BS.
part of my trepidation re: going back is i think learning programming language is better use of my time.
>>
>>17153095

>go to upwork
>go to browse
>go to browse jobs
>go to Data Science & Analytics

get a sense for what people want freelancers for. there's probably jobs you could do today and everything else is stuff you could teach yourself online.

the idea is to do jobs to build your resume while learning new skills on your own time that'll get you better/more jobs. eventually you'll have enough job experience that you can say fuck getting the diploma because you have actual experience working in the field and it won't hurt you applying to jobs that say they require a BS.

they'll work with entry level people. just gloss your profile, take a professional looking picture and bid cheaper than the pay offered. tomorrow you'd be entry level, in a month you'd have a resume of projects.

pick up programming certificates on the side through online courses and you'll have even more freelance options.
>>
>>17152332
The world will always need plumbers.And carpenters. And construction workers, auto mechanics, postmen, barbers, garbagemen, truck drivers, etc, etc.

Respectable and well-paying careers, all.
>>
>>17153170
i've been on these sites before and it seems you spend more time hunting down work than actually doing it. never even won a bid and eventually gave up; you're competing against everyone everywhere incl mostly countries with much lower standards of living. dyou know any success stories?

>>17153298
it's not the prestige so much as "will i have the will to drag myself out of bed in the morning". i chose math because it's challenging and i seem to be good at it.
as far as pragmatic concerns my disability specifically contraindicates any difficult physical labor. electricians and plumbers don't lug too much shit, but sometimes. feels like there must be a p heavy gender barrier too because when i casually asked my friend if i could join his worksite he said no, citing my sex.
>>
>>17153298
funny that these are primarily male-oriented careers. girls don't need to pay their rent? even if i could do the work, which i can't, i doubt anyone would hire me. back to retail with you!
>>
>>17153443
The female equivalent is getting a husband with a good job and make some babies. Maybe also a half time job in some office.
>>
>>17153441

it takes time. you'll have to grind and scrape for the first couple of months but every well completed freelance ups the chances of getting another job.

the success stories are on upwork. just search through the freelancer profiles on upwork, change the filter to active in the last two weeks and check what people are making based on jobs they complete. you can't fluff that part of the profile, it's added when you complete a job.

it really is a "get what you put into it" system. you just have to be able to market yourself.
>>
>>17153491
not in my world
>millennial woman
>most guys want someone dumber and therefore more likely to put out
>children are really boring. like really REALLY boring.

>>17153518
thanks anon i really appreciate the advice. you've seriously made my day.
>>
>>17152332
you probably feel this way because you dont like the study you have chosen, and dont really have ambition to enter into a career relating to your study. unless you find something that actually interests you, in relation to higher education, you are never going to like it. there are tons of different studies, surely you must like at least one?
>>
>>17152369
>>17152332
You need to know what you want to be before you go to become it. You need a passion. If your passion is not within a line of work, find a way to make money from it. Until then, work to make. Money.

Also, the most you'd probably need is an associates degree, which you can get in about two to three years if you're good. Even without it, there are plenty of jobs out there that pay a modest six figures yearly that don't require more than a high school diploma.

College is a meme.

Just make an earning while trying to figure yourself out. When you find out what you want to do for the rest of your life, go do it.

It's better than jumping blindly into something you don't want to do.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.