[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I fucked up today and for the past few years with my education
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1
File: 1242134.jpg (627 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
1242134.jpg
627 KB, 1000x667
I fucked up today and for the past few years with my education in college. My gpa is very low and my dad expects me to leave home this winter when in actuality won't happen until 2018.
>How do I tell my dad that I'll still be taking community college for another 2 years?
>How do I convince the counselors to let me repeat 4 different classes that I've failed 3 times in a row?
>How do I convince the counselor to not dismiss me from college with my horrendous gpa?

I've dug a big hole for myself. I'm despairing because my folks have been paying for my tuition regardless of my objections. They also don't know I've been lying to them about my low gpa.
>>
>>17152243
>I'm despairing because my folks have been paying for my tuition regardless of my objections. They also don't know I've been lying to them about my low gpa.
Look's like you've dug yourself into a hole.
>>
Are you in a community college?
What major?
What classes have you failed/need to retake?
>>
>>17152243

Did you actually try or did you just smoke a bunch of pot?

If the former you are a noble idiot. If the latter then you are human garbage.
>>
had the same problem anon while dealing with chronic illness & uni simultaneously. rent's pressure actually made things worse. i ended up getting really sick and having to go fullon NEET for a few years, total bullshit.

why are you failing classes tho? do you like your coursework? are you any good at it? be honest anon.
>>
>>17152250
I know and I still have to keep up the lie. My folks are asking for my grades and I'm going to photoshop them.

>>17152254
Yes, community. Psychology major. I need to retake statistics, accounting, two philosophy courses, and a psych course.
>>17152258
I didn't do homework or required papers. I'm positive I have a discipline problem. My therapist says it's because of my depression. My folks don't know about that either. I never did drugs/alcohol.

I just feel like shit especially since I've knowingly know that if I didn't do the work I won't pass, but fuckjob me still did nothing.
>>
>>17152277
You need to tell them. Tell them about your problems, and show them that you're doing jack shit to fix them. Praaaayyy that you'll get to stay in community college, and see about changing your major if possible.
>>
>>17152273
I show up, take notes of the lecture and do in class work. I never attempt the required out of class work. I don't know why, I avoid homework/papers besides poor discipline.

I'm indifferent with all my courseworks, like I know it's hard to do well in classes you're not good at or like. I just don't attempt.

I can write good papers, usually B or A grade.
>>
>>17152243
you really should withdraw from classes instead of failing them, looks better on your transcript.

that being said, you should make plans to move out and get a job so you're not a burden on your parents. work for a while, make a living for yourself, maybe pay back your parents if you can scrounge up the money.

once you've matured enough, that's when you might consider going to a different community college for a fresh start. but not before then, since you're obviously not ready yet
>>
>>17152277
either you need to
>treat your depression better, or
>find a course you hate less
>>
>>17152307
don't think it's maturity.
if he can't focus because of burnout, working 60 hours at a deadend juob isn't going to help much.
>>
>>17152307
i say this because needing to take two more years of community college with a bad gpa is practically redoing community college, but on the wrong foot. better to completely start over with a blank transcript
>>
>>17152243
>My gpa is very low and my dad expects me to leave home this winter when in actuality won't happen until 2018.

You think that's tough. Imagine how hard it is going to be for your dad to break it to his deadbeat son that the free ride is over and he's out on his ass?

You need to be kicked out. You don't need more chances. You should be begging your dad for a swift kick in the ass on your way out the door.
>>
>>17152277

Your an entitled millennial with no real conflict or problems in your life, vastly under prepared by helicopter parents that never taught you how fucking shitty life can be when you are like that.

Your depression, the feeling that something is terribly wrong, the self sabotage is all interconnected. We humans NEED conflict. We thrive in abject difficulty. Being comfortable weakens us and makes us crave drama and problems, so much so that we create problems for ourselves until bad stuff starts really happening. By that point it is too late and you don't know how to be another way so you feel trapped. You cannot escape.

Don't know how to fix that broken shit in you. If I did I would write a book and be on Oprah but alas I am spending my time on this shit board. I hope I at least enlightened you.
>>
>>17152296
Telling them will most likely lead to me getting disowned. I remember almost not graduating high school and my mom recorded me and interviewed/berated me to why I'm failing.

I'd imagine that if I confess, things will be really really bad for me and for them. I already told my mom a partial truth that I'm still here until 2018 and she didn't take it very well. She said she was frustrated and putting a strain on the family.
I don't wanna think about confessing, I just want to make a genuine reason to my counselors to let me stay and to let me repeat those classes for a 4th time.

I can't change my major because the only occupation that interests me is being a therapist to help kids/teens with their problems.
>>
>>17152315
lol what's he going to do, "burn out" at a dead end job and not have enough money to live?

people who know what it's like to have to work at a shitty job for the rest of their lives take their studies more seriously, if only to avoid that fate.
>>
>>17152321

How are you supposed to help troubled teens when you are basically stuck as one?

You are literally a fucking disaster in the past, present and future.

Just do everybody a favor and be a basement dweller, work at Walgreens and give your parents a couple hundred dollars a month for the rest of your life to make up for the lifetime of disappointment you have caused them.
>>
>>17152321
you really should go and get a job to support yourself and lessen the financial burden on your family. if i were your parents, i would not want to pay for another year of college.

don't talk about what you want to do as if you're entitled to your dream job when you clearly didn't work for it. just take the highest paying job you can find, even if it's at your mcdonalds.

seriously, getting a job is a normal, adult thing to do. no one's going to stop you from getting your shit together
>>
>>17152327
this isn't true. i had a similar experience to OP:started at ivy, disowned because had serious chronic illness & had to drop out; worked shitty jobs, couldn't put in enough hours, just didn't eat.
life and health stabilized now, but can't shift from "survival mode". i'm getting by, that seems like enough?
bad advice anon. selfdiscipline is rooted in a sense of optimism and you won't get that sweeping floors for minimum wage.
>>
>>17152307
I was thinking of doing that. My cousin works fulltime and goes to the same college as me and started this semester and is doing better. My mom compared me to him and thinks it's unbelievable why I'm taking so long. I don't think I can begin to have a fresh start. My hole won't go away if I try for a different college.
>>17152311
Already getting treated, it's going okay.
>>17152315
>>17152327
Both of these are true. I don't know what to do.
>>17152319
I didn't want the free ride. I even got a job to pay for a semester of college before I was forced to quit because my parents wanted me to "focus" on my education. They're so involved but really oblivious, but it's security for me.
>>17152320
I know i'm a privileged shit and there are other people who would gladly have the support for college. I'm broken.

I used up so many chances. I can already imagine the homelessness. But I also have this other feeling, a determination that because of this edge, I can make things right even though it's too late.
I just hope I can give them a valid reason to let me redo my classes.
>>
>>17152321
>the only occupation that interests me is being a therapist to help kids/teens with their problems.

BAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA

ohwaityou'reseriousletmelaughharder.jpg
>>
>>17152321
they're gonna find out eventually, what's your plan for when the school kicks you out?
>>
>>17152361
i think you're underestimating how devastating your depression is. maybe take some time off to treat yourself; work an undemanding job for cash; reassess your goals. don't put yourself under financial duress unnecessarily, it won't help your state of mind.
>>
>>17152361
>I didn't want the free ride.

Utter bullshit, every post in this thread from you is about avoiding the consequences of your lazy inaction. You have been given tons, have jack shit to show for it, yet you make it clear you want and expect the giving to continue.
>>
>>17152381
i agree that op is stupid for remaining is school when he knows he is unable and unwilling to do the work. disinterested parents don't seem to be helping much, "just perform and stay out of our hair".
>>
>>17152350
i can't imagine you wanting to go back to that time of starvation and misery. why don't you go to trade school, get a higher paying job and make a nest egg in case something bad happens again? don't you want to at least be secure?

>>17152361
okay, you getting a job to pay for your college shows you actually have what it takes. some people just need their own money riding on the line in order to get themselves motivated. i don't see how your parents 'forced' you to quit, though. you're an adult, right?
>>
"Hi dad, I messed up and need more time before moving out. Here's my plan to fix it and ensure things go better from here on out..."
>>
>>17152336
I wouldn't go that far, I haven't given up yet. As much as I want to give up, I can still see a future that's not as you described from this hole I've dug myself in. The people I've helped out in a pseudo-therapy like support gave me positive feedback, that they can see me as a therapist, and that's why I feel that I can help troubled teens.
>>17152341
It's like I wanna be X but didn't do the work for it. I do want to look for another job though, but I'm afraid they'll repeat the "focus on your studies" schtick. It's irony but with fucked up deception and waste of resources.
>>17152350
I wasn't discipline then, but my therapist gave me advice, a journal, and some other things to help me out. I have the tools to do better, but I'm afraid that it may be too late unless I have a really good reason to convince the counselors.
>>17152362
I already heard all the shit psychology majors get.
>>
>>17152396
security is an illusion. i know now that whatever happens i can deal with it appropriately.

>i can't imagine you wanting to go back to that time of starvation and misery
it wasn't that bad. i was happier starving than at ivy school. too much needless pressure.

>trade school
too smart for trade school. i'm in courses now and having same problem as op, because i fucking hate the work. at least i'm honest with myself. :/
>>
>>17152407
get a medical withdrawal op.
it sounds like your problem is a medical one.
keep going to therapy, or writing in your journal, or whatever you're supposed to be doing.
>>
>>17152407
>I already heard all the shit psychology majors get

That wasn't psychology major shit. That was shit for being an entitled, lazy, pathetic failure and being so oblivious that you have the gall to think you can help kids whosuffer from real problems.
>>
>>17152374
Tell my folks the truth and lies I've hid and get kicked out. I have until the 29th to submit my appeal to the counselor. They said if I have proof of depression, they'll most likely let me attend.
>>17152379
I've already used up my time by not doing the work. I've been standing in the hole doing nothing and now I need dig myself out of it. Taking additional time off, despite how devastating it is to me mentally, is something I can't do for me.
>>17152381
I accept the giving for the security, I wanted to show worth of a supply of that security but I didn't do anything. You're right. It's most likely too late now, even though I still want to attempt to try to show worth with a 4th attempt.
>>17152390
I think I should've went for a trade instead. Just a possibility. I'm a selfish stupid child that wants to repent while wanting security. I'm disgusted with myself.
>>17152396
I am an adult, but they're worried about the worst case scenarios for me at all times. As soon as they're betrayed, they're really vicious. It was either quit my job then or they would talk to my boss. They were really suspicious of my grades too at the time when I had a job, they almost saw the hole I dug. That would look really bad thinking that my "work" was preventing me from succeeding in college.
>>17152401
Yelling, frustrating, beatdown most likely. If I can fulfill the stay in college and retake classes 4th time condition, this problem of telling my dad isn't that severe of a lie, but it kills me.
>>
>>17152407
>I haven't given up yet

You say that like being willing to continue shitting away your parents money is something to be proud of.

Of course you haven't given up. When all the expense of failure is borne by your parents, why would you?
>>
>>17152468
op you're not going to be able to do school properly until you fix your head. i think the other posters are being jerks but they're essentially right: stop wasting your parents money on something that isn't working.
>>
>>17152468
>I am an adult

You are a diapered baby trying to avoid a spanking and get a cookie. You are not an adult.
>>
>>17152423
I was also given a form that if I had a good enough reason to why I was failing, they would wipe my transcript clean of those failures. But it had to be something severe like a death in the family, physical disabilities that prevented me from doing anything, etc. My counselor told me my best shot was if I had documented proof of my depression, which I don't have have the papers for, just a "confirmation" of a session with my therapist.
>>17152438
I'm sorry for misunderstanding. I made you upset and I'm trying to dig myself outta this hole.

I genuinely want to retake my classes again.
>>
>>17152484
>jerks

Op keeps insisting his plan is to lie to his parents.
>>
>>17152489
it's clearly depression anon, and it can be very devastating. you need to get the papers for your withdrawal, and then focus on getting your head on straight.
>>
>>17152489
>I genuinely want to retake my classes again.

No doubt you do. And live at home for free. I'm sure your greed and selfishness is 100% genuine.
>>
>>17152468
i think the key is to realize that everything's going to work out. either you get another chance at college to redeem yourself or you get a job and stop being a burden on your parents. your parents aren't going to keep you from getting a job AND kick you out, that makes no sense, so you have nothing to worry about.
>>
>>17152484
I know they're right.
>>17152473
>>17152486

From what I'm hearing, I deserve to be in this hole, kicked out, wageslave, homeless, not an adult. So there's no way out for redemption? It's too late, just move on?

I can do it this time, I just can't convey that to my counselor cause I'm covered in shit.
>>
>>17152468
Will it kill you more or less than moving out?
>>
>>17152509
>So there's no way out for redemption

There is. Being kicked out is your way ou. When you are no longer an enabled baby you may well learn to walk, feed yourself, and wipe your own ass.

I can understand it terrifies you, but you need to stop lying to your parents. You are old enough to let go of mommas tit.
>>
>>17152495
The plan is to pass those conditions I've stated in my first post, and then kick my own ass and do the required classwork in the summer. I'm already disgusted with the "secret to the grave" bit with all the lies I've created between me and my folks.
>>17152498
The counselor saw my unofficial transcript and asked what happened since I started off well in my first semester and than everything was shit. I was thinking of combining that in with my appeal for retaking classes/wipe out. I will focus on getting my head straight during and along the way.
>>17152503
You are correct.
>>17152506
Whichever outcomes happen, I've fucked up. All I can do now is work on myself for better.
>>
>>17152509
if you can't convince your counselor, how are you going to convince yourself when it's time to buckle down? cards just don't seem in your favor when all you have is advice and a journal.

you are an adult now, OP. i don't know how you've failed to get this through your head, but you are legally an adult and should be able to take care of yourself. please talk to your therapist about ways to get a job and find a place to live, seriously.
>>
>>17152509
You think you need 2 more free years of college, room and board, op. But more than that you need to grow the fuck up. Your dad would do the right thing by you if you weren't a lying little shit. He sounds like a cool guy, albeit too trusting and easily manipulated.
>>
>>17152529
>All I can do now is work on myself for better

Op thinks this equates to lying to his parents to get free shit.

Op you vote for sanders don't you.
>>
>>17152529
What cc do you attend op?
>>
>>17152518
I don't know. Getting kicked out/homeless is really horrible, especially with no friends.
>>17152519
Thank you for the insight on the other end of the spectrum of being kicked out.
>>17152533
It'll all become revealed. It's really do or die (homeless) at this point. I'll explore the job search, home search if my appeal is denied.
>>17152535
I'm learning from my failures with this "last" attempt. If the worst case scenario happens, then I just gotta do better and work more hard without support.
My dad just wants me to grow up more financially stable than him. But I know how vicious he can be when lied to.

Thank you all for your take on my situation. I'll still submit my reasons for appeal to the counselors on that date, and whatever path that takes me, well, I need to grow up.
>>
>>17152577
Get a job, manage, slow down your course load at school.

You can afford your own place and you can work on getting friends.
>>
>>17152552
>Taking advice from Trump supporters
Kek
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.