[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
eating disorder?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 422x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 422x750
so my girlfriend has always been insecure about her weight and appearance. I absolutely love how she looks, she's not stick thin or anything but she's not fat or even chubby, she just has curves in the right places and muscle from doing martial arts. she's had those self esteem issues since before we started dating

she started counting her calories and working out more. like, four days a week exercise and giving herself 1500 cal. now she's down to 1200 cal (but does have one cheat day a week) and running every day, and her grades at uni are slipping, which I knew she normally cares about a lot. she won't eat anything if she can't count the calories in it and bought a really expensive food scale and won't eat anything she cooks without weighing it

she's skinnier now but she keeps saying she's not at her goal yet, and insisting that she's not skinny enough yet and that she doesn't need to change what she's doing, except she might go to 1000 cal a day. she's said before her goal is pic related, but if she really got that skinny I would really be worried about her and her health

what do I even do?
>>
>>17149780
Encourage her to see a physician about her weight/health, get a second opinion, and if both agree that what she's doing is healthy, you won't say anything about it.

Otherwise she needs to consider that she might have an eating disorder and it would be a good idea to see a councilor.
>>
>>17149780
What's her BMI? Her weight and height (equal BMI)? As long as her ideal weight and height are within the recommended area, she's good, but I know from experience that a BMI of an underweight person won't always achieve the result of that woman in pic related; all bodies are different and have different ideal weights so if she goes overboard you have to get her professional help, dying from being underweight IS possible (people in first world countries tend to think about this less) and there are many negative side effects.
>>
>>17149780
1200 is too little. 2000 calories a day for an active male and 1600 for an active female. Adjust for your body type.

You won't be able to do anything. Friends or people she doesn't know are more likely to help. Have an intervention with her maybe or get her to seek therapy.

You never posted her weight so she might just being hardcore till she reaches a healthy weight. 1200 though again is too little. She needs to slow down the pace and go about it in a healthy way.

At least tell her to go back to 1500 and to take her time. Losing weight too quickly is just going to be bad for her health.
>>
>>17149780
If a girl is exercising A LOT she should have 1800calories a day. If you exercise every other day, 1500. Just kinda exercising 1200 would be fine. How hard is she working out? How tall is she? What does she weigh?

When I played football I would eat 4000 calories a day as a 5'11" 215lbs man.
>>
>>17149789
if a doctor said she's fine/healthy then I wouldn't worry, but I've hinted before at at least asking her to see a doc and she refused

>>17149790
I don't know anything about BMI but I know about the body type thing and I've tried telling her that, but she said that even if she doesn't end up with the same body as pic related it "has to be better than what she has now" which is ridiculous, it broke my heart. I love her the way she is

>>17149792
she is 5ft 5 and around 130 or 140 I think? but like I said she has a lot of muscle from doing things like kickboxing

>>17149800
she runs a couple miles just about every morning, more if she doesn't have work or class that day. and her work has her doing a lot of active work and heavy lifting, and twice a week she does kickboxing and jiujutsu once a week
>>
>>17149800
to add, that 4000 was just to maintain my weight, If I ate less than that I would start to lose weight fast and that's would have been bad at t he time.

Some of the guys would eat upwards of 8000 calories a day
>>
>>17149809
I don't really know her weight because she doesn't really weigh herself or talk about it because she said muscle weighs more than fat and she's just going by how her clothes fit. but she had mentioned to wanting to get down to under 125
>>
>>17149809
It super depends on her body type and she is only moderately exercising. 1200 is fine. Running "2 miles" is not a hard exercise as that takes what? 18 or so minutes? so an hour a day or so is moderate exercise.

I had an ex that weighed 150 pounds, was 5'5" and she looked obese as fuck. Meanwhile, my current girl I was last with was 5'6", 170 pounds, and she looked fucking amazing. Your GF might just have a stocky build that needs to get to 120 before she finally looks fit. If my GF weighed 130 pounds she would look terribly unhealthy.

Everyone has a different body type. last month II weighed 220pounds(213 now, exercising again after terrible depression slump) and looked a bit tubby. If I get my weight down to 180 I look like a scrawny ass faggot. 200pounds is my average where I look the best.
>>
>>17149815
125 is good. It's normal and healthy. She shouldn't go below 120 however.
>>
>>17149815
I would say to her "hey, try to stay between 120-125 for your health sake" if she says to go more she probably has a problem.

Once she reaches her target "size" she should focus on exercises on specific muscle groups for tone and shape rather than weight loss.
>>
>>17149815
That's just the start.

A huge red flag is that she's measuring her bodily change by some retarded designer's idea of a size 2 instead of actual calculation. She's basing her success on a sham. You really, really need to get her help now. Not next month or even half a month, because with the internet she could find out about some horrific 'diet' that will just further her disorder by next week.
>>
I was at that point, she much more far gone then you think she is even if it appears as a slight issue on the surface.
>>
File: 5019a87077699.jpg (549 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
5019a87077699.jpg
549 KB, 667x1000
>>17149842
>>17149843
the fuck is wrong with you two.

125 pounds is a healthy weight and if that's her target I don't understand the "SHES TOO GONE MAN" bullshit.

One of my friends looked "ok", although had a small gut, chub around the sides. She weighed 139lbs. If she lost 15 pounds she would have looked perfect. I mean, she looked good before but the cub was very much there.She was 5'7".

PIC related is just a random model I know (first when I clicked on my friends list" She weighs 101lbs at 5'5". Does she look anorexic to you?

Girls have different body types, shocking. Some girls target weight can be 150 an other 105. 125 is a very reasonable goal for 5'5" female.
>>
speaking as someone who has struggled with an eating disorder for seven years without getting any outside help, as the above poster said, she's probably way worse than she appears right now.
but if she does decide to get help, DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!! a lot of eating disorder treatments are fucking horrible (i've heard from friends) and ineffective.
>>
>>17149831
well the couple miles is just because that's all the time she has, on days she doesn't have work or school she'll be gone for hours, which worries me

>>17149835
she seems to think of 125 as an absolute max and closer to 100 being her ideal, which again is what worries me

>>17149842
that's kind of what I thought but I don't know

>>17149843
I don't know, she's kind of secretive about it and will get angry if I try and make her talk about it

>>17149880
kind of hard to tell without seeing her actual body, not to be pervy

>>17149886
another reason I'm worried is that she was bulimic in highschool
>>
>>17149894
>kind of hard to tell without seeing her actual body, not to be pervy
She's not, trust me.
>she seems to think of 125 as an absolute max and closer to 100 being her ideal, which again is what worries me
100 is very low and unless she has a petite frame and build is not healthy. Most girls look amazing at 120,

I don't think your GF has a petite frame. Most "petite" girls are naturally thin and won't be above 120 based purely on how their body works.I would teel her that if she planned on going below 120 it is not reasonable and you are concerned for it. She will probably say "fine then, 110" say no, She will say "115" say no. 120-125 or you will start lookin for therapists for her. The fact she was bullimic in the past should show her a bit of reason.

125 is a normal healthy weight however and shouldn't cause concern. The girl I pictured is naturally petite and you can tell just by looking at her that is just how her body works. Just like how I am stocky and built like a heavy box. 180 is my lowest possible weight before I start to look unhealthy.
>>
>>17149880
I weigh 141 on 6'4 and I'm a guy.

I know what's anorexia and spending any time thinking about calories and getting fat/thin is a disorder.
This is not about how much pounds she has on her, it's about her unhealthy mindset.
>>
>>17150041
>spending any time thinking about calories and getting fat/thin is a disorder.
That's entirely false though. There are plenty of healthy reasons to consider how much energy you're feeding your body. That said I also know how unhealthy a fixation on weight can become but don't insert those values into a very valid way to be concerned about your health.
>>
>>17150041
>I know what's anorexia and spending any time thinking about calories and getting fat/thin is a disorder.

You're are an idiot.

Balancing your diet to remain healthy is the opposite of a disorder, literally.
>>
>>17149800
>>17149831
For a woman that menstruates, 1500 is actually for a completely sedentary lifestyle, if you do any sort of activity regularly 1800 it is. 1200 is ridiculously low. That's what 4 to 8 year old kids are supposed to get.
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/Dietary-Recommendations-for-Healthy-Children_UCM_303886_Article.jsp

>>17149780
OP, is her diet becoming something that precedes your relationship? Will she skip time with you to go run, or will she be increasingly nervous if she can't go run? Does she start having strange habits around food, like pushing around her plate a lot, taking calls during lunch time so she can exit the room, re-enter later and only eat a few bites before mealtime is over? Has she started buying fashion magazines or become interested in it?
Are there foods she will no longer touch with a ten foot pole, like cake or butter or cheese? None of those things alone is necessarily an indicator of an eating disorder but all of them together are.

Something has you worried OP, and it's a good indicator that something is wrong.
If you are really suspecting something, check her browser history for things like thinspiration and weight loss blogs.

I also want to add to this thread that numbers mean nothing. You can have an eating disorder no matter how thin you are or aren't.
>>
>>17150147
>You can have an eating disorder no matter how thin you are or aren't.
A lot of people don't seem to get this.
>>
>>17150147
You're talking about "maintaining" weight and not losing it. Cutting back on calories to lose weight, 1200 is fine. Because shes TRYING to lose weight. I don't think you understand the difference.

As for the child bit you realize around those ages children grow drastically right?

You just felt the need to start bangin' on the walls before you did any fucking thinking at all.
>>
>>17150159
Dude, relax, I'm not banging any walls.

Loosing weight long term actually doesn't work simply with reducing calories in, there are much more complicated things related to it like insulin sensitivity, carbs, basal metabolic rate, omega 3/6 balance. You can loose weight on a 1500 diet, you can gain weight on such a diet depending on all the other things you are doing. Going down to 1200 generally means you'll get a drop and then the moment you levy your body back to normal it puts it all back on.
>>
>>17150175
dropping calorie intake and exercise will make you lose weight at an increased rate.

The reason it doesn't "stick" for people is because as soon as they reach their goal they go back to their old habits. When she reaches her goal she can increase her intake to 1600 again but keep exercising.
>>
>>17150147
she's pretty much vegan now but was vegetarian before this, won't eat out, eating less than half the protein she should be because she doesn't want to build muscle, takes an extra hour in the grocery store because she will compare four versions of the same thing to get the one with the least amount of calories, has started spending most of dinner time on her laptop instead of actually eating, only drinks diet soda/unsweetened tea/water, and I know she looks at pictures of girls she wants to look like, is that thinsperation? and yes, if I try telling her to ease up a bit she'll get upset and go on a run

I guess what really triggered my worries is that she had this one meal at a local fast food place here that was her absolute favorite (teriyaki grilled veggiemeat with macaroni salad and rice) and I surprised her with a small order of it, then she started screaming that I was trying to sabotage her and didn't like that she was trying to lose weight and was trying to control her. that's absolutely not her normal self. to put it in context the only time I've heard her angry yell like that was when she saw a guy in the park beating his puppy. she's not the type to blow up at all, especially not at me over something like that
>>
>>17150201
Anyhow, I don't think the point of this is to go all /fit/

My point is that having a diet of 1200 or even 1000 as OP's girlfriend wants to go is just unsustainable combined with high levels of activity, and demands for academic brilliance.It means that you are feeling hungry all the goddamn bloody time and exercising on top of that which leaves zero room for study. The only way I was able to eat as little as 1000 and exercise like mad was because I was totally fucked in the head and kept perceiving myself as fat.
>>
>>17150208
She has an eating disorder. You aren't going to win this; tell her if she won't resolve this by seeking help and eating healthy you're leaving. Then when she blows up at you over that you actually leave. That's how this plays out, don't compromise your happiness and her health by putting this off.
>>
>>17150208
>eating less than half the protein she should be because she doesn't want to build muscle
It's funny she thinks building muscle is as easy as consuming protein and exercising a bit. Look, if she doesn't get the required amount of protein from somewhere her body will take it from her muscles (causing them to shrink and form the stereotypical "anorexic" look), it doesn't matter where she gets the protein, could be beans, but if this is what she is doing she is NOT eating healthy and you need to talk to her about this.
>>
>>17150126
>You're are an idiot.
>Balancing your diet to remain healthy is the opposite of a disorder, literally.
You're the idiot. Obsession is a disorder. No fucking matter what you're obsessing over. Be it the calories you feed your body, be it washing hands/cleanliness, or be it another person.
>>
>>17150208
Classic eating disorder behaviour.
>vegan now but was vegetarian before this
vegan is now all the hype but they need to eat really fat foods like nuts and avocados all the time to stay healthy. My guess is she doesn't. It's also a good excuse to tightly control her diet.
>won't eat out
that's classic eating disorder pattern. She can't control what she eats if she eats out, even if it is vegan.
>takes an extra hour in the grocery store
again the control thing. Anxiety around "bad" foods is very high in eating disorders as well
> has started spending most of dinner time on her laptop instead of actually eating
avoidance patterns during meal times. Also disordered eating behaviour
>I know she looks at pictures of girls she wants to look like, is that thinsperation?
yes. she probably compares herself to her favourite thin person.
>if I try telling her to ease up a bit she'll get upset and go on a run
physical exercise has become a refuge and she responds to any sort of emotional turmoil by punishing through that or restricting calories
>flipping out over what used to be her favourite food
anxiety, lack of control, food is threatening, she flipped out. She doesn't bring dangerous foods into the house anymore (hence the crazy shopping) and now you did, that's what the sabotaging might have meant.

She HAS an eating disorder OP. I'm so sorry.

All of these are things I used to do myself, literally all of them. Being where she is, is a very scary place.
>>
>>17150239
>pending any time thinking about calories and getting fat/thin is a disorder.
>obsession
You said nothing about obsession, just "spending time". Creating a journal of what you eat "takes time" and is still an incredibly smart and healthy way to approach your health.

So way to go faggot. You're so fucking retarded you can't even remember what you said.
>>
>>17150238
>It's funny she thinks building muscle is as easy as consuming protein and exercising a bit
well, I do know she is one of those people that builds muscle mass very easily, because she had always said that's one thing that discourages her when working out. it's why she only does the kickboxing twice a week now, she hated how muscular her thighs got

>>17150247
that's kind of what I though. how do I get her to see a doctor?
>>
>>17150247 (= me)

>>17150234
Listen, as someone who has been there, it's a very dark place to be in.

Most likely OP's gf isn't feeling good at all about a number of things, he mentions her having low self-esteem before. Eating disorders for me were like a blanket I could put over my depressed feelings and self-hatred because that way I felt at least I could do something. I was a disgusting human being but if I got thin I could sort of excuse myself. Just trying to control the behaviours by being manipulative or being punitive won't work because under that blanket or disordered eating there is already more self-loathing that you can imagine and getting angry is going to make it worse because she will push against that by hiding even more in her disease. "Once I'm thin I will be happy" is the baseline. The problem at the base is that she isn't happy, and that society shows us that all the desirable women (the models, the actresses, those you are supposed to aim to be) are thin. The brain short circuits and thinks that being thin will equate being happy. It's a way to deal with pain.

What OP however shouldn't do is hide is how sad he is at what she does to herself. Because seeing someone waste away like that is just horrid. At some point going to run when you have only eaten half of what you should and feel weak and dizzy is punishment and destroying your body. And that's horrible to look at.

I don't know how you can reach out and make her realise that what she sees in the mirror isn't reality, and that the things she truly feels inside, the hatred she has for herself and her image will not magically solve itself by changing her appearance. Not if it's achieved by such a tight grip and by refusing any positivity.
>>
>>17150257
If all she does is kickboxing she's not going to gain an enormous amount of muscle, people that don't know probably didn't notice the small bit of muscle she had gained, it's all in her mind. She should not be judging herself based on how much she weighs, she should be judging herself based on how fit she is, muscle is good, a little fat is ok and healthy.
>>
>>17150247
Vegan is fine.

Won't eat out? Ever try to order vegetarian meals at a restaurant? No way in hell would a vegan find anything. Also, spending $12 on a fucking salad is retarded.

Taking time to ensure you buy healthy foods is bad now? Everyone should just buy the first thing they see since ingredients and nutrient means you have a disorder.

I eat at my computer as well. I will pick at my food incredibly slowly to the point a single meal lasts 3 hours. Meanwhile my GF will just choke down all her food instantly. Being a slow eater is fine.

Looking at fashion is bad now as well? "I want to wear that dress! Those shoes!"

"flipping out over what used to be her favourite food" Don't even know what that means. I no longer eat my favorite meal now though. It was incredibly bad for me and I would have it 3 times a month. Now I only eat it on holidays or special occasions.

The only one that is "odd" is the getting annoying at be criticized. But then again, saying she has a problem when none of those things are crazy or weird would be incredibly annoying.

>I used to do myself!
>therefore, anyone that does it is like me.

I didn't eat out as a vegan, spent a lot of time at the grocery store to ensure nothing broke my diet or ethics, eat slowly, look at girls and fit models, and no longer eat my favorite food. Do I have an eating disorder you fucking retard.

Stop projecting so fucking hard dumbass.

BTW I weigh 200lbs, 6 feet tall male.
>>
>>17150252
But to 99% of people that have healthy weight it all comes down to just being normal, why would anyone have to obsess over it?
>>
>>17150252
You fucking people obsess over that shit and aren't even aware of it.
You don't need to make any dumb plans about what to eat idiot. I don't and I'm perfectly fine, a little on the chub side because pregnancy and breast feeding (5'25 158lbs). My husband doesn't and he's naturally a very slim guy (6'3 150lbs).

The trick is eating whenever you're hungry and stopping whenever you're full. Cut all the junk with artificial flavours and added sugar and you're good to go.

/thread
>>
>>17150289
>obsess
Keep track of your diet is not fucking "obsessing" you idiot.

Going to any health website. They will all say to keep track of your food, calories, and nutrition.

Straight from webmd, first result that came up when googling diet tips.
"Keeping a food journal -- writing down everything you eat -- can also help you stay on track."
http://www.webmd.com/diet/lose-weight-fast-how-to-do-it-safely
>>
>>17150285
Wew lad.
>>17150247
How did you get out of it, I need some advice.
>>
>>17150304
You're choosing to listen to the one crazy person instead of the rest of the thread because they confirm your bias.

You're a fucking moron. All you're going to do is annoy your GF until she leaves you.
>>
>>17150302
>"Keeping a food journal -- writing down everything you eat -- can also help you stay on track."
Writing what you ate? Who's gonna read that? Are you gonna be, look I ate chocolate last Tuesday, three more days until I can eat some again. It all seems a bit too american and oprah to be real.
>>17150306
That wasn't OP, it was me.
>>
>>17150257
She's probably healthy as fuck but has a body type that doesn't look waifish. Even at the worst of my disease (when I dropped under 110) I still had a D cup and 36 inch hips and hated those.

As for getting her to see a doctor OP, try to point out that her reactions to things surrounding food aren't normal. Don't get mad either (really try not to get angry, sad is good though) but point out that she shouldn't get mad at you for having normal behaviours around.

Many anorexics love cooking for their partners but don't eat any of it themselves. Refuse to eat things that she wouldn't eat herself, or to have her start cooking split meals.

Ask her to put the laptop down when eating. Make her talk about her day, that sort of things. Don't let her circumvent food. Talking around a meal is a normal thing. If she flips her shit point out you aren't asking anything out of the ordinary.

Basically, don't start giving her special treatment. Hold her to the same standards as anyone until she admits that she has a problem in how she deals with food.

If she isn't in denial then you can act differentely, but she sounds like she is.
>>
>>17150302
It's obsessing. I don't fucking care how many people obsess about eating healthy and how many websites will tell you that it's perfectly fine.
Go to pro anorexia websites and read what they tell you over there.

Eating is no fucking science. Do you need someone to tell you how the fuck to breath?

You have obsessive behaviour and you deny it until the end. Well whatever I don't care.
>>
>>17150285
You do sound like your relationship to food is quite shitty too.
>>
>>17150311
>Writing what you ate? Who's gonna read that? Are you gonna be, look I ate chocolate last Tuesday, three more days until I can eat some again.

Are you serious right now? It's not so you can check what you can eat next you fucking idiot.

You write your diet so you realize just how much food you were eating. Actually writing it down insures you are controlling your diet. So when someone writes down "2 eggs, bacon, toast, orange juice breakfast. Apple sauce bagle brunch. Ham sammich, soda, chips lunch. Candy bar, bag of chips snack. Steak, potato, soda, greenbeans dinner. Gummy worms, soda, night snack."

They fucking realize that "wow, I eat way too fucking much" and will be able to adjust their diet accordingly. Then a half year later they can look at their current days meal, contrast it with when they first started, and be proud that they have taken control of their diet.

> bit too american and oprah to be real.
Again, literally every health website is going to tell you to count calories and keep a journal. Just because you're an idiot and don't understand why doesn't mean everyone is as fucking retarded as you are.
>>
>>17150324
You sound a bit upset.
>>
>>17150304
>how did you get out of it

The first step was admitting I had a problem with food and that what I was doing was interfering with my ability to enjoy life. One of my "tells" when I was like "alright I'm fucked up" was when my hair started falling out and I no longer had my period.

Second step was to involve a few people around me. I had started to only ever eat alone, so I started to eat with people again. I'd get super anxious when eating bad foods (like fat stuff) and so I asked people to distract me, or talk or just watch telly and sitting next to me to make sure I finished my plate and comfort me when it was difficult. Like literally backrub while I was eating. I did cry over fucking spaghetti a few times because I felt like I would turn into a gigantic whale if I ate it. But I had made clear that I wanted out of it and I let people determine what a "proper" portion was and tried to eat that.

I got in therapy to deal with the underlying reasons of why I started punishing by denying food.

It took me about 10 years to really get completely over it (yes I'm old)
>>
>>17150318
> how many websites will tell you that
>norexia websites and read what they tell you over there.

So you're saying websites are dumb but then insist that your website is right?

You realize keeping a diet journal and controlling what you eat doesn't make it an "obsession"by itself right? It's a common and incredibly beneficial practice. Literally everyone should do it.

Taking time to insure you stay on diet is not the same as, say, writing down "After lunch Jerry gave me a tic tac, 2 calories. Then I ate a chocolate chip from my trail mix, 1 calorie" That would be obsession.

you need to come back to reality and stop projecting so hard.
>>
>>17150324
>Just because you're an idiot and don't understand why
Just because you're an idiot and don't understand HOW to eat. Shall I hold your hand and show you how to drink and breath too?
>>
>>17150326
>upset

Always the dumb ones that actually think people get mad at their posts. Every time.

You're an idiot. Just realize that.
>>
>>17150335
>and don't understand HOW to eat
You've gone full retard now.

way to go.
>>
>>17150334
>So you're saying websites are dumb but then insist that your website is right?
No I insisted websites are dumb and gave the example of the contents of pro anorexia website. Everyone who reads that can see how fucking warped their perception of reality is.
Are you by any chance autistic?
>>
>>17150234
I'm not going to leave her, that's not an option

>>17150272
she does have a history of depression

>>17150306
>one crazy person in the thread
after reading all your replies, you seem like the "one crazy person" here

>>17150313
I've been trying, it's just hard because she always seems so distracted, she'll plan out her meals days in advance. I think her coworkers have noticed too, yesterday there was a big company event she brought me to and I could see that they kept trying to get her to eat some of the dessert there

>>17150340
well, if you write long winded tirades full of insults that's kind of the impression you give
>>
>>17150334
I keep a poopoo diary, it's incredibly useful.

In 6 months I'll be sure to look back and see how far I've come.
>>
>>17150347
Then OP, regarding your girlfriend, I think it starts by seeing if she has admits that her relationship to food and eating isn't normal. If she doesn't then >>17150313 are good suggestions to make her see that indeed, her reactions to food aren't normal.

If she can admit she has a problem, then you need to get her to see someone.
>>
http://news.health.com/2014/04/17/6-fascinating-things-a-food-journal-can-teach-you-about-your-eating-habits/

You faggots are incredibly retarded.

>>17150347
>I'm not going to leave her, that's not an option
Don't worry, she's going to leave you if you keep pestering her when nothing is wrong with her.. at all.
>>
>>17150347
This gonna be a hard one OP. She definitely has eating disorder. Can't give much other advice than the disorder is only a symptom of deeper issues. Maybe she had a shit/rough childhood. You need to find out what's wrong and try fixing this with therapy.
Good luck op.
>>
>>17150367
And in the meantime try not to fixate on her eating disorder too much. Keep in mind it's just a symptom. If you kill the root issues, her disorder will vanish itself.
>>
>>17150366
The same website gives advice on sneaking in vegetables in your diet.

Why not just prepare them and eat them as a part of a meal? Why would you ever pull a sneakeroo on a veggie when they're usually full of flavour and filling?
>>17150332
Glad you had someone to help you go trough it.
>>
>>17150366
taking relationship advice from you doesn't seem like a very smart move regardless. she's uncomfortable around people with your type of egotistical rage anyway

>>17150365
I don't think she will, I really don't. but I think if I asked her to see a doc for my sake she might do it
>>
File: Untitled.png (587 KB, 994x661) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
587 KB, 994x661
>>17150379
Forgot pic.
>>
>>17150367
>childhood
yeah. she moved in with me pretty much immediately after we started dating because her dad would beat the shit out of her and her mom was emotionally abusive and a drunk. she used to drink a lot, I guess the only good thing about this is that she doesn't anymore because alcohol has too many calories, according to her

>>17150376
I figured, but her mental health hasn't been the best lately due to a lot of things so that might be part of it
>>
>>17150379
>The same website gives advice on sneaking in vegetables in your diet.
Yes, because unhealthy people don't eat enough vegetables. Are you this dumb?

I bet every time you feel slightly sick and do an online search you assume you have cancer because you had 1 or 2 things on it's lists of symptoms.

>>17150383
>people making wild assumptions
>calling them idiots is egotistical
Sure just ignore shit like facts. Just do anything that confirms your initial thoughts. This is /adv/ after all. No one actually wants help here.

Look up BMI, Calorie, Diet, or health source and they will confirm that 1200-1300 calorie diet is perfectly acceptable for a 5'5" college aged female that is moderately exercising and trying to lose weight. They will also tell you 1600 calories will maintain their current weight. Anymore than 1600, with moderate exercise, and she will gain weight. For very active people 2000 is recommended to maintain weight.

Any health expert/ encourages their readers to keep track of their nutrition.

Exercising 4 days a week is not heavy exercise. The fact she has a "cheat day" says a lot about her lack of anorexia. Everything you have said about her is completely normal and healthy way to diet. Pestering her constantly about her "problem" is dumb as fuck.

But go ahead, ignore science. It's ignorant right?
>>
>>17150426
I'm starting to think you have issues with eating too

and her "cheat day" is just eating something like 100 more calories than usual
>>
I think I have an eating disorder. I started working out HARD every day for like a month and I gained so much muscle tone but it also made me so hungry all the time so in the end I just ended up being fatter. Now eating and calories is literally all I can think about all the time and even if I'm good during the day I always seem to ruin it at night and just eat a bunch of shit. And I always regret it after. This is just hell.
>>
>>17150426
look up the EAT test

you seem to think science is only science if it supports your point
>>
>>17150452
>I'm starting to think you have issues with eating too
So not only do you make wild assumptions about your GF but random strangers as well. A 6ft 200lbs male that exercises every day isn't someone with eating issues.

Or you can actually do research on the subject. Going by calorie intake you need to take in a lot of considerations. Gender, height, age, current weight, ect. A basic starting point being the basal metabolic rate for a 5' 5", 130lbs, female is around 1300 calories. For a female that exercise 4 times a week, that rate is 1800 to maintain, 1500 to lose 1lb a week, and 1000 for 2 lbs a week. 2 Pounds a week is a very strict diet, exercise plan but it's not exactly uncommon.

Most people on a weight-loss plan are advised to cut their daily calorie intake by 500 to 1,000 calories, according to the McKinley Health Center at the University of Illinois. This would result in a loss of 1 to 2 pounds per week.

But since you love to assume shit go ahead and listen to the people that don't even understand the use of a simple food journal.
>>
>>17150481
"The EAT-26 is not designed to make a diagnosis of an eating disorder or to take the place of a professional diagnosis or consultation. The EAT-26 alone does not yield a specific diagnosis of an eating disorder. Neither the EAT-26, nor any other screening instrument, has been established as highly efficient as the sole means for identifying eating disorders. "

huehuehuehuehue
>>
>>17150366
I don't understand why you and people like you (?) in this thread keep pretending to know OP's girl friend better than OP, he said she literally freaked out when he got her a snack, that's not normal behaviour.
>>
>>17150493
There is no test that can alone be used for a diagnosis of a mental disorder, especially an ED, obviously. but it is used by a physician to see what levels and types of abnormal eating patters the person has, and can be very concerning. are you acting dense and shortsited intentionally? do you get this angry when people talk about your eating patterns irl? you're already showing disproportionate reactions and irrational anger, both signs of more than just an ED.

and you don't seem to understand the concept of "too much of something good can hurt you".
>>
>>17150511
Because OP is looking for and affected by confirmation bias. His mind is already made up about her having a "disorder",

Her "freak out" could all be in his head. The fact is she is dieting to reach her desired weight that is completely, 100% within her gender, age, and height group. She's also doing it in a normal and perfectly healthy way.
>>
>>17150529
>She's also doing it in a normal and perfectly healthy way.
She isn't.
You can't see that because your relationship with food is distorted too.
>>
>>17150426
Do you actually know the signs of an eating disorder? Genuinely curious, because it doesn't seem like you do.
>>
She doesn't sound like she's eating dangerously, and 125 is a healthy goal. I wouldn't worry about it unless she moves her goalpost once she reaches 125.

I had the issue when I lost weight that I kept seeing myself as fatter than I was. So my goal was 115, then it was 110, and eventually I got all the way down to 95. Looking back at those pics, I was creepily skeletal at that weight, but I couldn't see it at the time and I thought anyone who said anything was just jealous because they were fat. If your girlfriend gets to that point, you'll probably have trouble convincing her she's too small.
>>
>>17150393
Sorry to hear op. I wish you best luck for your future.
>>
>>17150529
The funny thing is that you're talking about confirmation bias when you're the one exhibiting it most in ITT.

In fact, seems like you're the ONLY one ITT that doesn't think OP's gf doesn't have a problem, yet you're so convinced you must be correct and aggressively shitting on everyone else for not agreeing with you even though she's showing textbook ED behavior. That's some ridiculously strong self-justification, and that you may have some problems yourself.
>>
>>17150545
>I wouldn't worry about it unless she moves her goalpost once she reaches 125.
I said before she says 125 would be the absolute max, and closer to 100 is what she wants. she knows girls that brag about being under 100 and I think that's what she wants
>>
File: bmi.jpg (44 KB, 490x449) Image search: [Google]
bmi.jpg
44 KB, 490x449
>>17150528
>you're already showing disproportionate reactions and irrational anger, both signs of more than just an ED.
I assure you, that is all in your head. Because you're an idiot.

Trying to diagnose a disorder using a test is absolutely butt-fuck retarded and is equivalent to saying you have cancer because of webMD.

Every one is different, but standard BMI 120lbs is normal health. Standard BMA calorie intake is 1300-1400 calories to maintain weight. Even adjusted for gender, age, height, current weight, and activity OP's gf is all within perfectly acceptable limits. Arguing against that is absolutely retarded in every way.
>>
>>17149815
>she had mentioned to wanting to get down to under 125

>>17149894
>no I mean closer to 100 being her ideal,

>>17150566
>no no I mean under 100

Yeah now you're just full of shit. Each time it's gotten more and more extreme.

Have you "concerned" talk when she gets below 125. Until then you're just pulling shit from your ass.
>>
>>17150569
>he believes the BMI meme
wew lad

>everyone is different!
>goes on about standards
yeah, because a meme test online is a totally valid way of seeing if you're healthy or no--

oh, wait, you already shit all over that concept. but since it's supporting your argument now, I guess it's valid right?
>>
>>17150590
>shit all over that concept
It's a completely different thing.

Like, not even close.

You keep proving how retarded you are.
>>
>>17150586
wow, you really are an ass aren't you?

I said that she's trying to get under 125 because she thinks anything over that is fat. that's literally what I said. under 125. I never said 125 was her end goal, and I wouldn't because she hadn't said that it is to me. she has also said that "the closer to 100, the better" which also concerned me.

I never said that she claimed to want to be under 100, I said that she talks to people who are and seems to look to them for inspiration. you're twisting what I say pretty extremely, jfc

are you that desperate to justify to yourself the relationship you have with food? you're acting crazy
>>
>>17150600
>defending online BMI charts
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265215.php

>It's a completely different thing
oh right, I forgot that it's completely different because it's the information you choose to believe

my bad
>>
>>17150590
to add
"BMI categories are generally regarded as a satisfactory tool for measuring whether sedentary individuals are underweight, overweight or obese with various exceptions, such as: athletes, children, the elderly, and the infirm"

If you can't understand the difference between a mental point based test vs a generalized index formula you need to think harder. Hint One is objective and the other subjective..

Especially when I even stated already that it varies from person to person.
>>
>>17150620
Do you even even read the shit you post? From that article
"Professor Trefethen believes that the BMI height2/weight term divides the weight by too much in short people and too little in tall individuals. This results in tall people believing they are fatter than they really are4, and short people thinking they are thinner."

5'5" 22year old female is average, which is exactly what BMI was developed for. The statistically average. BMI is not an accurate tool for the non-average people but is still an objective measurement.

>oh right, I forgot that it's completely different because it's the information you choose to believe

In my original post I even said BMI is inaccurate but it's almost as if I knew that and used other forms of measurement. It's almost as if I literally said
>Even adjusted for gender, age, height, current weight, and activity
Which, according to the article you posted, those are the things wrong with BMI
"[BMI] doesnot take into account muscle mass, bone density, overall body composition, and racial and sex differences,
I used several different formulas online that do take those things to account and guess what? 125 pounds is still acceptable weight for a 22yr female that is physically active.

>>17150610
"that's literally what I said"
No, it's not.

Might want to look up the word "literal".

"I never said that she claimed to want to be under 100"
Oh really?

>>17150566
> she knows girls that brag about being under 100 and I think that's what she wants

You claimed to think she does. Which is exactly my fucking point dumbass. What you "think" and what is "reality" are not the same thing.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.