[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I got a new job. >Security guard for a supermarket distribution
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1424984819138.jpg (46 KB, 267x330) Image search: [Google]
1424984819138.jpg
46 KB, 267x330
So, I got a new job.

>Security guard for a supermarket distribution center.
>$10 an hour, 40 hours a week, less than 15 minute drive from my house
>Great boss, any hours I want, first foot into security, broke out of the restaurant world.
>Still feel like a fucking NEET loser.

I'm gonna try to save up enough for a used car before my 25th birthday, but at 400 a week, it seems unlikely.

Been in a rut for four years now.

FML.
>>
>>17149121
That sounds nice anon. Are you still living at home? Have you thought about getting a second job so you can move out and see the world?
>>
>>17149138
I live with my dad, since I dropped out of my shitty college. I want to become an artist, but I'm just losing my passion in it.

I don't want to be one of those guys who has to work 70-90 hours a week just to barely pay the bills. Also got over 17K in student loans right now, that's a bitch. Want to look into forgiveness.

I don't think I can handle more than 40, honestly.
>>
>>17149121
What did you get a degree in?
>>
>>17149121
Post some of your art
>>
>>17149149
No degree. Went to college, hated the school, quit, looked at other schools, too expensive.

Considering going to CC for Graphic Design or Architecture.
>>
>>17149146
Well, I know quite a few people in on the hustle that pull 60 hour weeks, but if you can't hack it, so be it. I'll admit, art is sort of like writing, where, to my understanding, unless you want to teach it, there isn't much point in going to college for it, unless you're using it as a venue for networking.

What was your medium(s) though? Do you have much work done?
>>
File: scan0090.jpg (661 KB, 2338x1700) Image search: [Google]
scan0090.jpg
661 KB, 2338x1700
>>17149151
>>17149154
Sketch I did a while back, I like illustration. Only do mostly sketches, pen and pencil.

Like drawing as a kid, so I thought I might do it as a career.
>>
>>17149121
Do your job well. Get promotions. Move up in the security business. The world is full of goof-offs, and anyone who does his job well will be noticed and can advance.

Be patient. It won't happen overnight, but we're talking months and years, not decades.
>>
>>17149161
That's excellent. Shame we won't be seeing more of it. If there isn't anything you want to draw, though, then there you have it.

>>17149190
And this guy is being honest here. There's lots of ways to make it just working one job 40 hours a week.
>>
i make 600 less than you, and dont have to do anything at all, ever. for the rest of my life that wage is guaranteed

i recommend you join the post office, you can make 2.5x that amount, no degree required, includes medical, vacation time, benefits, and like, after 90 days, youre guaranteed a paycheck for life doing that menial task
>>
I also sketch. I want to make money from art as well. The issue is that grinding fundamentals and drawing meticulously from reference for hours a day kills my passion. I suffer from anxiety and depression but I do have a good job. I make decent money but I wish I had the desire to grind realism out more, I really do. I'm just fucked atm.
Every time I go to draw busts and do figure drawing I lose all interest.

My opinion is that you will not get good enough, fast enough, to make a living off art for a couple hard work filled years. You have to keep working at it every day while making a living doing other work. Someday, if you keep at it, you will get to that professional zone. But the hard part is knowing that you don't get to decide when you have the skills required. It's a gamble. One you have to put all your effort into to even have a sliver of a chance to compete in.

You seem to understand construction. You also seem to understand shadow shapes. Keep cleaning up your lines and make each one count.

Drawabox.com should help you.
Also, there's classics like Andrew loomis's figure drawing books.

Scott robertson is great for understanding perspective.

Let me know it's you want a friend to share sketches with etc. Maybe we can help each other sometimes.
>>
>>17149248
Sure, why not?

Leave me a hotmail or something.
>>
Going to bed, everyone, thanks for all the replies.
>>
>>17149254

[email protected]
>>
You probably feel like a NEET since 90% of security work is judt sitting around doing nothing. Use it as a temporary way to make a little extra cash, but don't do it too long or it'll throw you into a boredom fueled depression.
>>
Can't offer much advice about the art thing, but I'd recommend getting a cheap shitbox for a car, don't save up or take a loan out for something new and expensive yet. Find a reliable beater and keep it maintained and it can out live you. With the money you would've spent on a newer car you can get to work on paying off your student loan debt
>>
>>17149121

You can get a shitbox for like 500 bucks

Or you can get a scooter, which is actually a fairly good transportation device, cheap on gas, and you can get a brand new one for less than 1000 dollars which you won't have to worry about breaking down the first couple of years or three as long as you get it serviced.

You can even drive in winter with winter tires + patient driving + a 50 dollar termosuit
>>
>>17149146
haha you're not going to get out of your student loans anon. Just accept that fact now. The only way is if you are completely 100% disabled and even then you have to pay crazy taxes on $17k.

Just pay them off like everyone else for 30+ years of your fuckign worthless life.

Also you can still be an artist. If you work 9-6 that's 4 hours a day you can draw. If you do that you'll become pitty gud in 4 years. (Don't expect anything faster than that) I know, because I am a professional concept artist. I have been painting "seriously" for abou

.t 10 years now. Even then I was drawing a lot "for fun" since I was able to hold a pencil. I work 80 hours a week. I do get a lot of PTO however but you can only max out at 100 hours. Also get crazy holiday time off. Like, in winter it's an entire month all piad. These are the standard hours of the inudstry.

So if you still feel like a NEET loser now wait till you become an artist. Imagine painting 12 hours a day in a dark office all day. Then going home and painting even more just for fun or freelance work. That's a loottttttt of alone time.
>>
>>17149121

Don't feel down man, you're working from the bottom. It's better having a job then not having a job. If you work alone or are allowed to lay back a bit try reading, drawing or working on some hobbies. Trust me, it'll feel like shit for a bit but continue slogging it out and you'll get something out of it.
>>
>>17149161

ay forreal this looks like some Runescape 3 character models, nice.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.