[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is "talented/smart but lazy" a real thing, or something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 594x393) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 594x393
Is "talented/smart but lazy" a real thing, or something people say as a platitude?

My professor say it. My friends say it. My parents say it. "You've got so much promise. You're incredibly talented you just need discipline and focus."

I'm not trying to be a special snowflake or anything but yeah
>>
Platitude.
>>
>>17148379
Its a nice way of saying youre fucking up but think you can do better. Is it true? Not really. I cant tell you the number of people who are "im secretely a genius im just lazy and about to fail college"
>>
>>17148379
well I mean you used the word platitude so you're either smart, an autist, or both.
>>
>>17148379
potential = motivation

smart/lazy = narcissism
>>
Being talented or smart has nothing to do with how much of a hard worker/ lazy person someone is. Maybe your friends see your potential but obviously they think you're too lazy to do anything about it.

The world is filled with lazy people who don't meet their potential.
>>
File: 1463344398442.png (433 KB, 491x370) Image search: [Google]
1463344398442.png
433 KB, 491x370
>>17148379
Untapped potential is a real thing.
>>
What is essential is neither how intelligent one is, nor is it their level of discipline. What truly matters is the vision one has for what they wish to make with their intelligence and discipline.
>>
Yeah it's most likely not meant as a platitude. I used to get told it a lot and i scored in the 98% percentile for some iq tests they gave me. They kept trying to put me in honor classes in high school but i was lazy and failed them all.

I've been applying myself now and managed to get into a really nice college program of which less than 20 people are in at a given time.

You should get your shit together.
>>
IQ is a myth
>>
>>17148409
That's true I don't even put much stock in it and i'm the poster right above yours, but it's still somewhat of an indicator of intelligence. i doubt a total idiot would score well on one, but still.
>>
>>17148379
>Is "talented/smart but lazy" a real thing, or something people say as a platitude?
It's real, no doubt about it. It's grossly overplayed, but it happens.

It tends to result when people are smart enough that they never have to do the work early in life, but are not smart enough to keep that up forever. This hits everyone "above average" sooner or later, except for the absolute super-genii.

Ironically, the smarter you are, the harder it gets, because it means you're able to coast for longer before you hit the wall. The habits get more ingrained and, thus, harder to break. In my own case, I hit the wall in middle school, and it took me 20 years to even start getting my shit togather: a process I have not yet completed. I dread what it must be like for people who hit later than I did.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.