[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm (hopefully) graduating this semester, but I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: Summer-Interns_WordCloud_Post.jpg (112 KB, 603x339) Image search: [Google]
Summer-Interns_WordCloud_Post.jpg
112 KB, 603x339
So I'm (hopefully) graduating this semester, but I've never had a job or even experience in my field (computer science). A lot of this was due to my being terrible socially and being too afraid to apply for internships in the chance that I was rejected (Yeah, I know terrible reasoning)

However, recently, I was offered an internship at the Baltimore Public schools region. This is really cool and it ties into what I want to do (specifically work in the government)...however it's in the Baltimore Inner Harbor and I...live an hour away. My parents also don't want me to do it...they say that I have enough experience and should just straight up look for a job. Problem is...I took 6 years to finish college (switched majors halfway through and a lot of my classes didn't transfer) and my GPA is not...good, at just under 3.0.

What are my choices here? I really want to do the internship but it's also an hour's drive there and back (1) and it's postgrad (2) and I'm worried about my ability to do it (3)
>>
that's only two hours of driving a day, get yourself a cheap ass scooter or motorcycle with like 90 MPG and go for it. Or rent a place closer. or be homeless and live out of a gym nearby.
>>
>>17147909
1.An hour's commute is fine. Hell, both my parents have one, and once I got a job so did I.

2.Practical experience is worth several times more to employers than academic achievements (just proving you could get them is probably enough).

3. You won't be dropped in the deep end and expected to know it all. You will be trained what to do and be able to ease into it. It's intimidating, but once you know what you're doing not all that hard.
>>
>>17147909
Do it.
>>
>>17148290
>>17147956
>>17147933
How do I convince my parents that it's ok? I still need their money...
>>
>>17148330

You can't unless you literally show them all the rejection letters you've gotten for jobs due to not having enough experience.

Another good way to get some "experience" is to start some sort of blog or someting about computer science... your general opinions on new technology, current technology, teaching some concepts, organizing methods/topics in computer science for easier teaching, etc... My girlfriend was in a similar position, having had no experience and an english degree... BUT she started entering contests at university, and started writing a blog which helped her land a position in a publishing company.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.