[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Work or college?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 550x550
20/M here, trying to decide whether I should go to college or find work.. I've been a NEET for two years after high school but I can't live like this forever so I have to start doing something.

I want to move out from my parents' house and I guess the fastest way to do that is to find work. Then I could see if I can hold down a job and get some experience, save up some money, and move out.

However I'm not sure if this is the best option, maybe it's better to go to college first and get a degree? I don't know what to major in, but it would probably be something programming related. This however delays me moving out by two years, and I'll still have 0 work experience when I graduate so I'll have to start off with a McDonald's tier job anyway.

If I just start working now I fear I'll become stupid since I probably won't learn anything on my own like I would be forced to in college. And plus I quite hate the idea of being a wage cuck so at the same time I want to delay it as much as possible.

Hwat do, /adv/?

P.S. Parents will pay for college if I go, so it's not like I'll be in debt or anything
>>
>>17147585
Obviously college. Even when you fail, you will still have some fun experiences and possibly friends.
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 640x629) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 640x629
Anon you might as well go to college, you don't seem very late in registering and you could get a job after a couple of years to at least a
have some money. If that, you'll be fine.
>>
>>17147585
>ve been a NEET for two years after high school but I can't live like this forever
Says who?
>>
>>17147648
My parents. I'd love to live like this forever, if it's not obvious.

>>17147619
Well I haven't had friends since 4th grade, so I doubt it. Plus I hate living with my parents and this delays me moving out.

>>17147626
So it's better to tough it out 2+ more years in this city and go to college? I doubt I'd even find work for whatever degree I major in. Or if I do, I'll realize I hate working in that profession.
>>
If you go to college, don't fall for the University or Top Percentage meme. There is no need to debt yourself by tens of thousands and possibly hundreds of thousands. Community College into transfer is perfectly acceptable. If its not an Ivy League school, an employer won't give a fuck if you graduated from Bum Fuck Hole-in-the-wall college, or Arizona State University.
>>
>>17147585

You can work part-time while in college

Hell, you SHOULD work while in college

That's what they call work-experience. Being able to prove that you are capable of meeting on time and doing your tasks and maybe even getting a good review will be a good help.

Besides, education is important in this day and age. But you don't have to be absolutely dead set on college. You could become an electrician or proces operator or some other vocational profession which still leads into a middle-class lifestyle
>>
college, no-brainer
>>
>not having a job while you're in college
no one will take you seriously after you graduate. your lack of experience will make you underqualified for the jobs you're educated in, and your education would make you overqualified for the jobs you'd have the right level of experince for
>>
>>17148883
Unfortunately this is true, its fucking bullshit too
>>
>>17148883

not having a job doesn't mean you can't volunteer or work with campus life to gain other forms of experience
>>
>>17147725
>or some other vocational profession which still leads into a middle-class lifestyle
not so much these days unfortunately
>>
>>17148923
>working on campus/student job
in my experience employers tend to look down on that honestly. you're better off with a job as close to your future field of work as possible

>volunteering
good, but not as good as a job if you can get one
>>
>>17147585
What do you want to be when you grow up?

If it's what used to be called a White Collar job - that is, anything in an office or above - then college is necessary.

If it's a Blue Collar job, college isn't needed. And the world will always need plumbers, construction workers, barbers, mailmen, etc.
>>
Man don't worry so much about getting a job yet.. it's what I did and I'm currently on my second year of college but I wish I could have taken it more seriously since the beginning.

Just start going to college and you might find a part time job for the weekends or one that works with your school schedule but I strongly suggest to get started on that right away. Don't feel rushed and enjoy the ride my man
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.