[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you lie about a college degree when applying for work? How
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1
File: 1393039736019.jpg (42 KB, 752x570) Image search: [Google]
1393039736019.jpg
42 KB, 752x570
Can you lie about a college degree when applying for work? How common is it to verify your credentials?
>>
That's such a bad idea. Normally they'll ask for a document file that shows it though
>>
>>17145850
>That's such a bad idea

Are they going to reject my application if they find out?
>>
>>17145855
Are you serious?
>>
>>17145858
Yes, I'm serious.
>>
They are gonna fuck you, then blacklist you! If you are in more developed countries you might be blacklisted among several firms. But it depends on job ur applying to too.
>>
>>17145866
I live in the US and I want to apply for software related jobs.
>>
you better not do that. Seriously.
>>
>>17145874
Why?
>>
>>17145896
Okay retard,

For a moment think about how much of an ass you look like when they ask you for credentials you were fronting, but don't have. In a software position no less where IF you get the job you will force others to pick up your slack. That's only IF you don't get laughed out of the interview, IF they don't blacklist you and throw your resume on the larger blacklists, and IF you do get the job and they find out later you're bullshitting, you're probably going to get fired and litigated
>>
>>17145930
>larger blacklists
>litigated

This fantasy world you lives sounds fun.
>>
>>17145848

Very common to verify them, why would you even consider this OP? lel.

One thing is a little white lie on your CV but faking that you have a degree will fuck you over eventually
>>
>>17145973
>why would you even consider this OP

Because I need to get a job. I can find another using my experience at the first later.
>>
>>17145998
Have fun in court, nigger
>>
>>17145848
They probably won't check it. If they do, they just won't hire you. At the worst, you'll get the job and be unable to do the work. Go for broke.
>>
You are not intelligent enough to pull this scheme off so don't waste your time trying it. If you weren't a retard you wouldn't even need to lie about it in the first place though.
>>
>>17145998
Sorry friend but making a hello world script does not qualify you for a career in programming without qualifications.
>>
>>17146010
I don't see why you're so angry.
>>17146049
I'm leaning towards it. My only concern is that I get flagged as a 'liar' or some shit by an organization that is external to the company. Besides their university checking system.

Like a general background check service.
>>
http://www.studentclearinghouse.org

There. If they want to check, and they should if your only experience is college, they can
>>
They ask for a transcript you stupid lying shit.
>>
>>17145973
>>17146180
I've never once been asked to show any documentation or transcripts regarding my college degree before when applying for jobs
>>
>>17146249
That's cool but when op gets the interview and can't even into fizzbuzz or even writing a hello world on a whiteboard he's out of there and then they figure out how he actually got to the interview phase.
>>
>>17145848
Forba small busiest, you might pull this off. For a computer or tech related job with a medium or large company, they will verify the shit out of you.

Welcome to the adult world, you lying fuck.
>>
>Not living abroad for +4 years
>Not just getting a fake diploma overseas
>Not speaking the language fluently to boast your savvy traveler spirit

;^) Anddd I saved like 100k on tuition? lel
>>
>>17146249

For medium or large companies you can forget about it. If you've applied for jobs before without having to document your degree then why are you asking?
>>
>>17145866
This. Blacklists are VERY REAL, and exist in almost every town, every industry. Medium sized towns, or business associations usually have a google document of people to never ever hire, and you are about to become one of them. Lying about past work experience, non-varifiable things is okay on a resume, but attending a specific college? Dumbest thing you could do.
>>
>>17145848
>Can you lie about a college degree when applying for work?
Can you? Yes. Is it a good idea? No. Few things will piss employers off more than lying about your credentials.

>How common is it to verify your credentials?
Pretty common, but it barely even matters. Employers have been known to fire people 10-20 years after the fact, when and if the truth comes out.

>>17145855
>Are they going to reject my application if they find out?
Unless they've already hired you, yes. In that latter case, they will fire you instead.

If you want a programming job, and you don't have a degree, then build a portfolio. Lying about your credentials doesn't cut it.
>>
>>17146388
>Blacklists are VERY REAL
Seconded, especially in the IT field.
The industry is not as big as you might think; a black list can easily ruin your entire career.
>>
Why would you this anyway? Are you looking for a developer job or just a web codemonkey or sysadmin? Why do you think you would be qualified to do such a job? And why didn't you get a degree in the first place?
>>
>>17146430
Developer job. Qualified because I've created websites tied to backend systems like scheduling/availability. I don't mean Wordpress plugins.

>>17146426
I think I'll just put it on there and then if anything ever comes up say I'm just missing a humanities course and figured 'fuckit'.

>>17146343
What's your story?
>>
>>17146493
So you're just another "self-taught" programmer who thinks he is just as good or better than those who studied computer science. I've got news for you, kiddo. You don't know shit. You will not know basic concepts of what's required. There is a reason why people get a degree in these things.
>>
>>17146506
You're not a wizard and web development isn't that complicated. Faggot.
>>
>>17146509
So you are just looking to be a web codemonkey. Why did you say developer before?
>>
Man, just one question. Are you good with your programming skills? Can you be better than the guy who has degree in programming. If yes just make a fake diploma of university which is in russia or kazakhstan in ps, add seal, signatures and shit on it. Make fake transcripts. In you go. Unless you trust your skills, dont do this.
>>
>>17146526
But still there are blacklists. Beware of that.
>>
>>17145848
I've hired a lot of people. We check past employment nearly 100% of the time.

For people who have only university experience, we look it up perhaps 50% of the time.

I have never personally requested a transcript or diploma, but there are definitely employers who do. Transcripts prove your grades, and show employers which classes you've taken, which is sometimes useful. Google, for example, is a bit obsessed with schools and grades, so they ask for transcripts for entry-level positions, or did. (I applied to something there a lot of years ago and recall being asked for my GPA; this would be easily verifiable.)

Another thing I always do is take a look at a person's LinkedIn profile; if I remember correctly, you can't post a degree on LinkedIn unless it can be verified. (Looking up graduating classes is a very simple matter.)

>The short answer is don't. You won't get arrested, but it never goes away--ten years from now when you're a VP based on your past experience, if someone figures out your degree is fake, you will get fired and that will get around.
>>
>>17146535
In England you can get arrested for it
>>
>>17146674
I think you could theoretically get in legal trouble for it here in the US, too--it's a form of fraud--but the prospective employer would have to press charges, which I'm not sure anyone would bother to do.

I recall that a politician made up a fake graduate degree here a few years ago, and had to resign in disgrace. But he didn't go to jail for it.
>>
My current job checked all my references and my education.

I actually just graduated a few years ago and was going through the hiring process a month after my commencement. I had a hard copy of my diploma but apparently they literally forgot to check something in the system so electronically I didn't have a degree.

HR at the company I was getting a job at called me and asked if I actually had a degree because it wasn't showing up wherever they were looking. So I called the college and they explained they dropped the ball. They fixed it and I called HR back and everything was good.

If the job requires a college degree then most likely they're going to check your credentials. It's why they pay an HR department.

tl;dr some companies check
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.