[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mild Alcoholism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: marl.jpg (15 KB, 235x260) Image search: [Google]
marl.jpg
15 KB, 235x260
Is there anyone here who struggled with mild alcoholism and overcame their addiction on their own?
I think I'm sort of an alcoholic, but really don't want to involve my friends and family. Nor do I want to go to AA, or anything similar.

Thanks in advance.

Pic unrelated
>>
Bumpybump
>>
>>17143195
Plenty of people do. If you're not a 'real alcoholic' of the type AA describes, some basic effort should be enough. If you're a social drinker, I'd suggest spending less time doing things where you drink, maybe pick up a new hobby or separate set of friends. If you tend to drink and isolate, make an effort to spend more time with friends. Better diet and more exercise and time with driends always helps improve mood if you drink when depressed, and a regular mediation practice will help keep you balanced if you like to drink when agitated.

Just so you know, AA defines its terms very clearly-- to them an alcoholic is more than just a person with a bit of an alcohol problem, who could probably stand to drink less. An alcoholic to them is someone who drinks ruinously, endangering and often totally losing position, family, health, home, and relationships to booze, or who recognizes they are fast on the path to doing so. Everything in their program is directed to people who accept that's how bad their drinking is, and that an early death is sure to come if they hit the bottle again. Consequently, a lot of people who say they're 'alcoholics' with a milder definition of the term get turned off the program when they hear AAs talk about how youre diseased and you're gonna fucking die if you drink. And they preach total abstinence.

AA may not be the place for you, but if shit ever starts getting REALLY bad with your drinking, don't forget they're there.
>>
>>17143226
Well the ironic part is that I have plenty of hobbies and friends. I just systematically destroy my liver and job opportunities. I mean I personally get creeped out by straight edge folk, and my biggest fear is having to live straight edge. I just seem to be a cunt with no discipline for substance abuse.
>>
>>17143226
Forgot to mention that I don't drink socially. Only alone. I hate going out.
>>
>>17143310
change it for weed then
much less harmful
i cant live straight edge either
>>
>>17143323
I'm dutch, I do both on a daily basis.
>>
>>17143195

>i dont want to go to AA

then give up. im not saying you cant do it without AA, but you have decided you'd rather be an alcoholic than go to anonymous meetings that dont go on your record or any of that shit. so congrats, you are not willing to do one of the easiest fuckign steps!
>>
>>17143652
Oh snap you sure got me. I am surely willing to admit I'm a functioning alcoholic. I'm just not fond of the aspect of believing in a higher power. Nor am I fond of the 'straigt edge' part. I merely asked if there were people who've done it without AA.
>>
>>17143652
Shut up and read the big book a bit, you fuck. Not everyone with a drinking problem is a 'real alcoholic', and it's up to him to decide if he is. I'm 2 years sober in AA and that attitude towards anyone who drinks still pisses me the fuck off.

Let him try to control his life and his drinking a bit before you condemn him to death. This is why people start to hate AA right off the bat.
>>
>>17143652
Oh, and I asked for some tips along the way.
>>
>>17143688
Well I don't quote on quote 'hate it'. I just really believe I don't need it. I've watched people in real life suffer from alcoholism. And frankly they seemed further down the path than I. How's the sober life? If I may ask.
>>
>>17143195
I did the AA thing for a bit after I got a DUI. I don't go anymore and I haven't had any problems staying sober. My main motivation for not drinking is that I don't want a second offense DUI. First offense sucked enough.
>>
>>17143813
Aaah, don't have any experience with that. Literally never want to drive and drink. Good that you're sober though mate!
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.