[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here feel like they've figured their life out?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1457768032340.jpg (865 KB, 2048x1362) Image search: [Google]
1457768032340.jpg
865 KB, 2048x1362
Does anyone here feel like they've figured their life out?

What do you do, and how did you come to do it? Did you go to college? How long did it take you? How'd you find a job afterwards if so?

I'm 23 and will graduate college next year, but I've done nothing but work in some designer retail places. I am really scared that I'll never take the next step.
>>
>>17141706
Military here, getting out in a few months. All I want is to enjoy life how I want. Fuck college, fuck climbing the ladder, fuck it all. Why the competition in life? Who cares if you're making more than a hundred grand, is it worth missing those birthdays, get togethers, deaths? Not in my eyes, lad.

OP, you and me may be close of age, but our experience differ. What are you scared of? Are you afraid of others thinking ill of you? Fuck them, live life how you want. I'm 24 and I'd rather work a blue collar job to support my folks instead of a carefree GI Bill paid college life.

What feels right to you?

Hell, I'd be satisfied working in a bookshop or someshit.
>>
>>17141706

kinda yeah. i have two options in front of me, and i like both equally. i can pursue both. and if i dont go 'legit' in one field i do have the other as my back up thats pretty guaranteed at this point.

dont worry abotu that 'next step'. you're graduating. you'll go somewhere other than where you are at the very least.
>>
>>17141761
>dont worry abotu that 'next step'. you're graduating. you'll go somewhere other than where you are at the very least.
Well, the next step is getting a good job. Problem is that I don't know how to get from point A to B I guess.

>>17141758
I feel you brother. I'm scared of making ends meat. I don't need lavish shit. I want to be able to live cheaply, have a job I enjoy, and save up money to travel.

I really just want to get out of wage slavery. I've worked wage jobs my entire life and I don't know how to get anything other than an hourly wage job. My mother is a school teacher and my dad is retired military (Air Force, 28 years service), so they can't cheese me a job in their field.
>>
>>17141797

>take your degree
>research all jobs in that field
>search for jobs in that field
>apply apply apply
>lie lie lie
>>
>>17141803
>lie lie lie
you know, fuck it. this is good advice
I've seen way too many of my peers get by on this alone in the interview process.
>>
>>17141811

its considered normal, so dont think ur selling ur soul. look back on your life and be honest (kek) how many times have you lied? probably more than you can count. probably recently too. the only reason you feel guilty about it here is cuz its with strangers and there is some level of stakes involved. but it wont be the last time you lie to your employer anyway (im totally sick today cant come in).

my resume was like 90% lie. but it worked and i got a great job.
>>
>>17141803

>lie lie lie

this is the hard part though. what is a turbo sperglord with crippling self esteem issues and no marketable skills supposed to do? how the fuck am i supposed to sell myself to others when even i don't believe my own bullshit? and on top of that i have zero friends that would be willing to lie for me to be references.
>>
>>17141758
who says you have to miss all of that when you work 40 hours a week?

I kinda feel like I have my life figured out. Although, I'm only still only 18. Finished my first year of college and I know what I've been knowing what I want to major in since perhaps elementary school ? So school is set. I've active in the gym, so I'm healthy. I guess I just live life day to day regularly now until I graduate and see what happens from there. I just see it as school -> graduate > job. and thats that. I'll probably learn more as I get older.
What exactly are you scared about in the next step? If its finding a job and working there, I can see why you would be nervous. My first job I was nervous for a while, but I did get used to it. This would probably apply in your scenario as well?
>>
I went to university, went abroad for grad school for a couple of years, been working abroad in an investment bank for a while and thinking of maybe doing a phd eventually in a more up to date industry-related field
>>
>>17141961

sounds like you got a case of the 'im a whiny faggots'.

you are essentially being handed a cheat code and are saying its too hard.

you are excusing whatever happens with 'OH I HAVE CRIPPLING SELF ESTEEM ISSUES SO I CANT BE BLAMED'

take away your security blanket anon
>>
>>17141706
>What do you do, and how did you come to do it?
I work part-time, mostly from home but with a bit of international travel, as a consultant to NGOs, and part-time as a stay at home dad to two small boys. It's a good life that 15+ years of lives I enjoyed less finally brought me to.
>Did you go to college? How long did it take you?
Did my not-so-useful undergrad in the usual four years. Got a dumb grad degree for the wrong reasons in another two, a long time later.

>How'd you find a job afterwards if so?
Taught English abroad for a few years. Came back, moved in w grad student girlfriend, worked glorified office monkey jobs, went to grad school just to get a break (another 2 years and change), married girlfriend, climbed the shallow, unrewarding nonprofit equivalent of the corporate ladder for a number of years, doing increasingly senior versions of jobs I ultimately realized I hated. But I built skills and a modest network along the way.

Got laid off nearly three years ago and have built my own, much more satisfying business since then.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.