[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /adv/ I'm a type 1 diabetic which means that I need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: what's this shit.jpg (882 KB, 2000x1502) Image search: [Google]
what's this shit.jpg
882 KB, 2000x1502
Hi /adv/

I'm a type 1 diabetic which means that I need to inject insulin every time I eat. I don't want to inject insulin other places than home. I don't want to tell people I have type 1 diabetes.

This means that I cannot eat other places than home.

This is generally not a problem for me because I can easily go a full day (or 8 hours and I'm usually never away from home for longer than that) without eating. A problem is when I am expected to eat and I have to make up bullshit excuses for not eating. When my boss asks me to come over for dinner or when coworkers ask me if I wanna grab lunch and I have to blow them off.

And I'm shit at making up stupid excuses so I was wondering if there's some easy bullshit way to just blow people off without seeming like I don't like them.

Does anybody have any advice for how they would deal with it? Maybe some diabetics with the same problem?
>>
What are your usual excuses? You can always say things like "my mom is making dinner for me at home, sorry" or "I have a lunch date with my (family member) today, I can't". People might be more understanding if your excuses include family members.

If they start getting mad over how often you blow them off, maybe you should tell them you're actually diabetic? I'm sure they'd understand. Best of luck OP!
>>
Why not just go to the bathroom and inject insulin real quick?

The better question is why are you ashamed of it? Being a type 1 diabetic isn't like being a heroin junkie or someone who got lung cancer from smoking. This is a disease that you just happen to get.
>>
>>17140116
This.

I am a heroin enthusiast; shooting up in a bathroom stall is easy, and only takes a minute, or two, if you prepare.
>>
>>17140110
>>17140116
I'm simply not comfortable injecting insulin anywhere else. I guess I'm sort of germophobic. And I don't want to tell people that I'm a diabetic because people look down on diabetics. I told my family and now I have to deal with their pity and/or disgust every time I see them.

Maybe I should just get over it and stop being so vain. It would just be easier if I could tell them I was on Ramadan or some shit so they'd stop asking.
>>
>>17140151
I've been a type 1 diabetic since I was 11, I'm 24 now and after having to inject multiple times a day and check blood sugar multiple times a day though highschool and junior highschool I realized after all that stress ot hiding it that you don't have to say anything. Learn how yo count carbs well so when I go out I k ow if i eat a cheeseburger and fries I need to inject around 10-12 units, I just go into the bathroom and do it, you don't need to explain why you are using the bathroom just take some alcohol swabs and clean up where you inject. All my close friends and girlfriends knew but I don't publicize it l, they just know I'm a diabetic but they never see me test or inject insulin. You will stress yourself into depression if you don't just accept it. Tell people you are comfortable with and just laugh when people make jokes and agree. Don't let it phase you or hold back your social life.
>>
Sounds like you're more socially anxious than anything else. It isbt anything to be embarrassed about its a medical condition. Hell i'd do ut at the dinner table with my forearm resting on my bosses kids head if it was the only way i could eat without dying lol wtf get over it.
>>
>>17140168
Plus the jokes aren't even that bad. My old girlfriend used to joke like sweetie do you need a lolipop to suck on??, normal females will actually feel bad for you and try to take care of u and give u more attention if you are comfortable and ok with it. You aren't going to be cured from it so you will need to learn to live with it. Some people are wayyyyyyy worse off than you, this is actually manageable and some diabetics live longer than people without it because you actually need to micromanage your health and diet and you know you aren't going to me smoking and drinking in excess or over indulging in food. I hope this give you a little perspective how I deal with it
>>
>>17140089
I don't understand why you don't just tell them. All you're doing is creating the perception amongst your acquaintances that you're strange, a flake, and don't want to hang out with them. If you tell them you'll get sympathy and understanding from them that you're sick and don't mean to blow them off.

Honesty, bitch. It works better than you think.
>>
>>17140180
To some degree it's a social thing, yea.

I'm internally debating three options:

Keep going and being considered a weirdo.

Learn to take insulin other places but I really don't like the idea of it and it's also quite difficult if you want your diabetes to be well controlled (and avoid having to have your feet amputated or some shit).

And finally just telling people. I just don't want their sympathy or pity or disgust. All of them are equally bad. My 80yo grandmother has tons of sympathy for me, she will literally offer me her seat if there's only one chair available. I don't want that, I don't even want her to think like that. And I don't want other people to think about me like that either.

Maybe it seems obvious what to do but it just isn't to me. Probably gonna continue with the weirdo thing.

Thanks for talking to me about it by the way. It helps.
>>
>>17140089
Stop being such a pussy, I had a friend who had to inject every day at lunch and no one ever said anything to them. And if they do say something to you why is it such a big deal?
>>
>>17140348
This really isn't some high school bullying thing. I don't think people (my boss and coworkers) will go "Haha, you have diabetes!". I just have a very hard time handling the idea of them looking down on me, disgust or pity.
>>
>>17140151
>I told my family and now I have to deal with their pity and/or disgust every time I see them.
Wow your family seem so ignorant. Don't they know it's genetic and you can pretty much do anything that a regular guy can?

You could tell people you have nausea when you eat/struggle to keep food down.
>>
>>17140422
My family is a little ignorant but they mean well. That doesn't make it any better though.

I could tell people something like that, or that I'm on a diet or something.

Also, type 1 diabetes is not really genetic :)
>>
>>17140403
>I just have a very hard time handling the idea of them looking down on me, disgust or pity.
Get used to the idea that you can't know or control what they think about you anyway.
They might be disgusted by you right now. They might pity you. Who knows. None of us read minds.
My policy is just to be honest with everyone about everything: what they choose to think is their business, not mine. I'll never be able to read or manipulate people very well, so i might as well learn to accept it well!
After a while, it just becomes part of your personality and reputation.

For what it's worth, I'm a narcoleptic and if i wasn't a socially anxious fuck with no friends i'd tell everyone and make jokes about it, gotta admit it's pretty funny.
Neighbor's got type 1 beetus like you, he got it from the chemical warfare agents in Vietnam so he has a better story but it's still the same shit.

Also, if you aren't using a pen, go ask your doctor for one. It's much, much easier when you have to do it in public.
And sorry about the inhaler debacles, pharma companies are pricks.

>>17140131
>I am a heroin enthusiast; shooting up in a bathroom stall is easy, and only takes a minute
And you see? Always someone on 4chan to make you feel normal, eh?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.