[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I man up and gain confidence? I feel mentally unattractive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 162x77) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 162x77
How do I man up and gain confidence? I feel mentally unattractive and I don't know how else to fix it.
>>
>>17139291
You probably have some sort of mental issue. I'm not saying that as an insult, but its very likely. Maybe you have some sort of social anxiety, or depression. I'd suggest going to a doctor, finding out whats wrong with you, and if need be, get some medication. Nothing I say will magically heal your mental issues.
>>
>>17139296
This mainly.

I sense some kind of social anxiety aswell. Try being yourself (and by being yourself I mean really being yourself and not catering to others wants and needs), see how it works out.
Just as I told another anon on a different topic: the only way to make sure at least some people like you is to be yourself, you might just encounter someone who has the same insecurities as you with whom you'll be able to share something which you might even enjoy.

Long story short: NO ONE is "mentally unattractive" to everyone UNLESS they're constantly pretending to be something they're not while everyone else can clearly tell.
>>
>>17139296
>>17139304

What the hell, I 'm not OP but if I lack confidence and have low self esteem I have mental issues?

>>17139304
I very often catered to what others wanted. I don' t mind helping most of times. Should I continue when it doesn't bother me?
I have this girl who needs help for work,and I don't mind helping her at all even of thats for hours.
>>
>>17139778
>What the hell, I 'm not OP but if I lack confidence and have low self esteem I have mental issues?
I personally never said anything about mental issues (although social anxiety, varying from slight inhibition to total avoidance, can be considered as such when it causes considerable suffering). But let's stick to the point. In my opinion (I repeat: in MY opinion) having low enough self-esteem to qualify yourself as "mentally unattractive" sounds a hell of a lot like depression.

>Should I continue when it doesn't bother me?
That's where it usually ends up becoming tricky. Of course there's nothing wrong with helping others. It becomes an issue when you start living exclusively to "help" others and you start neglecting your own self. That's when you should consider changing something about yourself. There's nothing noble in sacrificing yourself (be it your time, your desires, your ambitions) for the sake of others over and over again, that's just plain misguided behavior.
>>
>>17139818
I don't want to help because I feel forced to, like all chore.
But I don't know how to say no and I guess I just want to be liked.
>>
>>17139291

i think its a matter of awareness of your surroundings and less self awareness.

TV and other media has taught us that either everyone hates you, or everyone thinks you are the coolest thing ever. therefore, since you are not the coolest thing ever and universally loved, you assume you are mentally wrong, deficient, etc.

you are not. you are just like everyone else. another random person who likes what he likes and likes to like it.

focus your life on doing things you find fun, and if you are having fun with other people who enjoy what you like, you have nothing to lack confidence in
>>
>>17139839
>But I don't know how to say no and I guess I just want to be liked
That's exactly what I meant when I talked about misguided behavior. Helping out is fine, helping out all day every day for the wrong reasons isn't. I had to learn that the hard way too.
>>
>>17139963
I'm afraid the same is happening to me. I try to be serviable, I listen to people. But no one would listen to me if I dared talking about my feelings.
I guess from now on I'll try to help when I don't mind and try to say no when I don't want to
>>
>>17140017
>I guess from now on I'll try to help when I don't mind and try to say no when I don't want to
Exactly. That's my point. It's important to learn how to say no and especially when to do so. Never forget that you aren't anyone's "slave". You can decide by yourself whether or not it's a good time for you to help out (it may neither be the appropriate time nor the appropriate kind of help, or both).
>>
>>17140058
I'll do my best to live for myself now, thanks.
Too bad I wasn't told that at 19 years old
>>
>>17140104
See you around buddy, best of luck
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.