[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is a better language choice - Japanese or Chinese?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: Flag-Pins-Japan-China.jpg (54 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
Flag-Pins-Japan-China.jpg
54 KB, 400x320
Which is a better language choice - Japanese or Chinese?
>>
>>17139207
More people speak Chinese, learn the most popular variant.
>>
>>17139207
Chinese is way more useful, but depends of why do you want to learn new language.

If you're a weeb, Japanese is the way to go I suppose, but career wise Chinese. That was my line of reasoning when I was deciding between these two and picked the latter.
>>
>>17139207
"Better" depends on your motivation for wanting to learn a new language to begin with. If it's because for business or to make yourself more valuable, Chinese - though it's hard as shit to learn. Probably one of the hardest languages to get down unless you grew up with it.

No reason to learn Japanese over Chinese unless it's your passion or if there's a practical reason in your life to do so.
>>
>>17139207
Polyglot here. As everyone else has said, Mandarin is more the practical choice. However, you're probably never going to use it, unless you find yourself in China. Just learn whichever one you like better. If you force yourself to learn a language you hate, your motivation will go straight down the toilet.
>>
>>17139207
in terms of usefulness- chinese
>>
>>17139209
>>17139211
>>17139234
>>17139295
>>17139298

OP, don't listen to these retards.
Yes, China has more speakers but English learning in China is phenomenal compared to the crap heap that is Japanese English learning.

By all means go and learn Mandarin, but dont feel bad when most Mandarin speakers you deal with prefer to speak English.
Japanese people, on the other hand, can barely speak our language despite studying it from a young age.
>>
>>17139311
>most Mandarin speakers you deal with prefer to speak English.

Yeah, no. Don't talk out of your ass.

t. Chinese person
>>
Chinese. Japanese people hate everybody and never leave their country for any reason other than brief photo tours anyways. And they don't want any non-japanese in their country
>>
>>17139311
>most Mandarin speakers you deal with prefer to speak English
Is is irrelevant if they don't speak comprehensible English. The reason you think Chinese people speak English so well is because you only meet the ones who study/live abroad. Your average Zhong Do speaks hardly any English.

I agree though that Japanese people have even worse English skills, but you don't really need to communicate with them anyways unless you plan on living there (which is impossible)
>>
File: 1463003617490[1].png (946 KB, 1400x5552) Image search: [Google]
1463003617490[1].png
946 KB, 1400x5552
>>17139336

I mean, if you're going to live in China its good to know since the peasant class (literally 99% of that industrial wasteland) don't learn it. But business-wise, anyone you'll deal with will know English better than you do Mandarin.
>>
>>17139349

> Japanese people hate everybody and never leave their country for any reason other than brief photo tours anyways.

Have you even talked to a Japanese person? Though you got the second part right those fuckers never go on vacation.

>>17139356

>(which is impossible)

Stop repeating things you've read on Reddit, retard, Japan has easier immigration polices than the US does.
>>
>>17139359
Nowhere did I say it's easy to just move to the US.
>>
>>17139207
Expat in Japan here.

I'd say Japanese is easier, Chinese pronunciation seems quite difficult. Also katakana and hiragana compliment the kanji, unlike Chinese where everything is written in kanji. Good luck trying to remember those 7000 or more characters.

I get along fine with people here, there may be racism here and there but I've heard much worse from expats living there.

Why not try both and see what sticks?
>>
Aside from usefulness, Chinese is actually easier to learn than Japanese when it comes to speaking. It's just writing/reading that's hard.
>>
>>17139364

Still doesn't explain the "which is impossible" bullshit you're peddling. Stop posting about shit you clearly are uninformed about, moron.
>>
>>17139402

Try typing that post again, you chinky fuck. I can barely understand you. OP, definitely learn Chinese because you'll have to deal with slant-eyed peasants like this trash.
>>
>>17139311

u probably have never tried opening a factory in China (Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Chengdu, etc.)...have fun doing that without being able to speak Chinese.

This retard knows jack shit about today's economical shift toward the east.

Pic related: DJI - world's biggest drone maker = 100% Chinese
>>
File: dji.jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
dji.jpg
25 KB, 300x300
>>17139404
This fucking company
>>
>>17139404
>>17139402
>>17139406

>chink posters

I wouldn't want to do business in China, all you'll do is get ripped off as per >>17139358.
Chinks are dirty fuckers like that.
>>
>>17139369
From my experience with both languages, Chinese is significantly easier.
In Chinese, every character represents one syllable and has one reading.
Japanese kanji have many readings and are not necessarily monosyllabic. The grammar also seems to be more complicated, but I can't say for sure because I never got to the point in Chinese where I was studying advanced grammar.
You didn't specify your motivations to learn either language so I'd try both for a month to see which you prefer.
>>
Another expat in Japan here, 5 years and counting.

It depends on your needs and desires anon. Think about where you want to visit and/or live and what you want to do. Take an introductory class in each language. In the end it is entirely up to you and your preferences.

Chinese grammar is more similar to English than Japanese. Of course reading and writing are difficult but if it's something you really want to do that shouldn't put you off. Japanese will probably have more media that you are interested in and therefore more material for you to study and enjoy.

Take everyone's advice, including mine, with a grain of salt and keep an open mind. People who argue over which is better completely miss the point. What you choose to learn and what you do with that knowledge is up to you. I studied Chinese for a couple years in college then ended up moving to Japan and starting from scratch. Make the most of whatever you choose to do.
>>
>>17139234
Chinese actually isn't as hard go learn to speak as people tend to think. It has a similar sentence structure to English with subject-verb-noun most of the time.

The written language is a real killer though.
>>
>>17139356
/thread
Plus a lot of western countries conduct business with Hongkongers and Singaporeans and these guys speak English well
>>
Nope, it's useless
Japanese is useful if you're interesting in trade and shit
>>
Japanese
>>
Korean
>>
>>17139412
Then try setting up a global business without at at least cooperating with china.

Sorry man, you know nothing about how today's business world works.
Having a local grocery store can not be equated with trying to set up an international business.

Even when working for a large multinational business, being able to at least speak Chinese is a huge plus when recruiting.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.